Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot) - Page 4
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

BGW9 for me - personally I don't like the green hue C3 exhibits under daylight. We seem to have gone back to exploring ways to make "Project 300" work on the dial, but I still think Bill's "300m~1000ft" suggestion is the best option.

I'd love for the design to be pushed ahead Bill!

I strongly prefer the C3 Super-Luminova, and I like the slightly off-white appearance - it looks vintage without being obviously faux-vintage, and it performs much better functionally - One look at the 'lume shot' posted by Bill previously confirms it is much brighter in darkness, and after all, why do watches have luminescent materials at all?

That being said, if the majority prefer BGW9, I can live with it.

I prefer Bill's Dial "D", and actually prefer Bill's closed 6's and 9's, but whether or not they end up that way, won't break the deal for me.

What would break the deal for me is if the dial gets loaded up with 'Pro,' 'Professional', gilt 'Automatic' in addition to circle-Y, or some other designation other than Project 300, or '300m~1000ft', so please don't do that.

The more I look at Bill's dial "D", the more I like it.

I think it would be a nice addition to see a cohesive selection of font(s) for the numbers that will appear in the bezel and on the dial - Very important, and critical to achieving the correct balance and look.

And as others have said, I think the rounded-corner date window is better looking than the modern squared alternative with sharp corners. (I'll probably pick non-date anyway, unless it ends up positioned at 4:30 like the Vantage dial, or if some other spectacular thing develops.)

And again, please, let's move forward.

Hope all remain safe, and travel safely this weekend (if that is in your plans).

Let us remember those who have preserved, and continue to preserve our Freedoms on this Memorial Day.
    Last edited by OmegaCosmicMan; May 26th, 2012 at 00:39.

I vote for pushing forward.

My three big wants for the project are:
    1. Big Triangle
    2. C3 Lume
    3. No script fonts anywhere - I like all the alternative fonts proposed by ljb187 for the name

Bill,

Go, go, go. Let's move forward.
    Great to have a voice, but ultimately trust your judgement.

:-D

Neily

I guess i'm one of the few bgw9 guys. I don't think the green tinged markers would match well with a silver and black watch. c3 looks great on the kingston because it actually complements and tones down the gold trim of the dial. put that green on the 300 dial and i think it will distract more from the watch instead of having the entire assembly look good. Good example of what i'm referring to are the vintage Seiko 6105s and the 6309s. Have you ever seen the all original watches vs aftermarkets/replica dials? they are worlds apart in terms of elegance and balance. That green tinge on the aftermarkets were far too much of a distraction and it ends up lowering the look of the entire watch.

I also don't think it's too much of a sacrifice in lume "performance." It's not like anyone will be diving for 8 hours to actually need the extra oomph and hour of glow from the c3. And going back to the color balance... I think the blue will complement better with the fit and finish of the 300 watch than the c3 would.

I'm with you G-Junkie: I like the cleanness of a black/silver/blue-white color scheme. Either would look good, but I like the extra kick of the BGW9 coloration; the C3 makes the watch look a bit, umm, old. I may not get carded that often, but I prefer the newer look. Plus blue-white goes better with my usual color scheme.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

I've had every one of the vintage Seiko divers I can get my hands on Name:  6019188249_6dc3984cf8_b.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  266.5 KBand G-Junkie is dead on with the color and how it looks on the watch. The only thing I question is the same thing I've been questioning for the past few months. How thick will the lume be applied? I hope it's in heaps and would like an answer even if it's not what I want to hear. Here's one of my now gone 6105's and this is what vintage white lume is supposed to look like. Yes I know the bezel insert is aftermarket but the dial was a swapped NOS and I challenge you to find better. My 62MAS on the other hand has been relumed in the crap green color. Name:  6019746696_44ef6a6f06_b.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  295.5 KB
    Seiko: 62MAS, 6105, 6306, 6139, BASM, FFF
    Marathon : GSAR
    Doxa: Anti-magnetic '45
    MKII: Project300 plank owner

Banned

If I might add and to some this might be far fetched or cryptic but why not call it MIIK CCC........
    MHe225 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AR15fan
    If I might add and to some this might be far fetched or cryptic but why not call it MIIK CCC........
    Not far fetched or cryptic at all (at least not in my book): http://forums.watchuseek.com/f325/pr...ml#post4158617, but it is not what was agreed / decided by the majority vote. Although several people seemed to like this name (suggestion), it didn't make the poll and the democratic process gave us Project 300 as the official name.
    Some will argue though, that this sounds clubby and that abbreviating it (Prj. 300 or just 300) or changing altogether (MKII 300) will sound better ....

RonB
    Last edited by MHe225; May 28th, 2012 at 23:43.

Quote Originally Posted by AR15fan View Post
    Please let's not re-open the name debate. As far as I recall we paid our deposits, voted, and chose "Project 300".

Neily

Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information