Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot) - Page 5
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Quote Originally Posted by Neily_San View Post
    Please let's not re-open the name debate. As far as I recall we paid our deposits, voted, and chose "Project 300".

Neily
    I agree completely - The Project 300 name has already been decided, and to take up this again is just going to amount to a fruitless waste of time and energy.

For those who do not like the name that was decided by majority vote - well, Get over it!

Quote Originally Posted by AR15fan View Post
    If I might add and to some this might be far fetched or cryptic but why not call it MIIK CCC........
    You are more than a day late, and more than a dollar short. The name of the watch is Project 300 and was decided some time ago - Go back and read the name poll and results.

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    Oh, I assume the dial will be matte? I'm afraid I don't know if the original had matte or smooth/shiny dials. Or perhaps with the sapphire bezel, a smooth dial will look better? Or, even cooler, could the sapphire be made matte?
    Original dial is matte.

The luminous material will be applied in 4 layers, which is our standard and the most that the process that we use will allow. The luminous application process is similar to what they would have used in the 50s. It is not really advisable to add more lume to the dial as it will possibly conflict with the hour hand clearance.

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaCosmicMan View Post
    I strongly prefer the C3 Super-Luminova, and I like the slightly off-white appearance - it looks vintage without being obviously faux-vintage, and it performs much better functionally - One look at the 'lume shot' posted by Bill previously confirms it is much brighter in darkness, and after all, why do watches have luminescent materials at all?

That being said, if the majority prefer BGW9, I can live with it.

I prefer Bill's Dial "D", and actually prefer Bill's closed 6's and 9's, but whether or not they end up that way, won't break the deal for me.

What would break the deal for me is if the dial gets loaded up with 'Pro,' 'Professional', gilt 'Automatic' in addition to circle-Y, or some other designation other than Project 300, or '300m~1000ft', so please don't do that.

The more I look at Bill's dial "D", the more I like it.

I think it would be a nice addition to see a cohesive selection of font(s) for the numbers that will appear in the bezel and on the dial - Very important, and critical to achieving the correct balance and look.

And as others have said, I think the rounded-corner date window is better looking than the modern squared alternative with sharp corners. (I'll probably pick non-date anyway, unless it ends up positioned at 4:30 like the Vantage dial, or if some other spectacular thing develops.)

And again, please, let's move forward.

Hope all remain safe, and travel safely this weekend (if that is in your plans).

Let us remember those who have preserved, and continue to preserve our Freedoms on this Memorial Day.
    We are not going to settle all of the issues with the next stage. What my plan is is to show you guys a more complete mock-up of the watch. I will make some decisions but still leave open others (e.g. lume color). The idea will be to focus the decisions you guys have to make so that we can keep moving forward (e.g. I will show you guys more . That and I plan on e-mailing the rest of the Plankowners to see if I can get some more feedback from a larger pool of customers.

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by Neily_San View Post
    Please let's not re-open the name debate. As far as I recall we paid our deposits, voted, and chose "Project 300".

Neily
    No worries the name is not up for debate any longer.

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by chris7013 View Post
    I've had every one of the vintage Seiko divers I can get my hands on and G-Junkie is dead on with the color and how it looks on the watch. The only thing I question is the same thing I've been questioning for the past few months. How thick will the lume be applied? I hope it's in heaps and would like an answer even if it's not what I want to hear.
    The lume will be applied in 4 layers using a silk-screen method. This is the standard method we use on all of our dials. 4 layers is the maximum possible with this process.

I hope that was the answer you were looking for....

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    No worries the name is not up for debate any longer.
    Many thanks Bill.

:-D

Neily

I'm in!
    Would be nice to see a "menu" of options when all's said and done, so we can "vote".
    Each design has it's + and -
    Might be easier to see in one swoop when the finalists - say 3 or 4 - are presented.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    I'm in!
    Would be nice to see a "menu" of options when all's said and done, so we can "vote".
    Each design has it's + and -
    Might be easier to see in one swoop when the finalists - say 3 or 4 - are presented.
    There goes the neighborhood! (Though I've got to admit that 's pretty good idea)

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    There goes the neighborhood! (Though I've got to admit that 's pretty good idea)
    Them people who organize them Miss America Pageants - they know what they're doin.
    THAT's how you run a watch* project business.

* On a subconscious level, watches = boobs. :D
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information