Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot) - Page 7
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Yao

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    I like the overall ratios a lot! The size and placing of the MKII AUTOMATIC looks just about perfect to me as do the size/weights of the indices. Slightly round the corners of the bezel triangle and I think the bezel would be close to perfect. The font of the 369 looks a tiny bit thin/light but just might be because the hands are missing. It could also be because the font of the bezel numbers is overpowering the 369 font. Great start!
    Great and insightful feedback.

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by kywong View Post
    That's a great start Bill.

My only criticisms are that the dial should be bigger (the gap between the edge of the hour markers and the edge of the chapter ring should be minimal, and the minute markers right to the edge), and the lugs could probably be a little thinner.
    You beat me to it. However the curve on the sapphire crystal will begin to distort print that is too close to the edge of the case opening as currently represented. My idea was to make the case opening slightly smaller and then bevel it and polish it to give it the feel of a retention ring. This watch won't have or need a tension ring to hold the crystal in. It won't be exactly the same since the retention ring actually covers up part of the crystal itself but it might give it an extra touch that add to the design.

Quote Originally Posted by kywong View Post
    That's a great start Bill.

My only criticisms are that the dial should be bigger (the gap between the edge of the hour markers and the edge of the chapter ring should be minimal, and the minute markers right to the edge), and the lugs could probably be a little thinner.
    Wow! - Great eye for detail you have - very well put. Thanks-

To me, the font size for the 3-6-9 appears either too small, or not emphasized somehow compared to the 12-Triangle.
    Last edited by OmegaCosmicMan; June 10th, 2012 at 06:05. Reason: (What....?)

Not much (if anything) that I can add that hasn't been said already; enkidu and kywong sum it up nicely:

• bezel overpowers the dial
    • 3-6-9 font is too small / bezel font too large
    • thinner lugs please
    • overall size and ratio is very pleasing

Looking good

RonB

Project 300 - $350 deposit paid 27 months ago and counting .....
    GO Kingston - $350 deposit paid 24 months ago and $585 remainder 12 months ago and counting .....
    Project GMT - $600 deposit paid almost 5 months ago and counting .....

I think for a mock up it's looking good. No sense in me nit picking this early as I'm sure everything will be more precise as it evolves. As far as the comment about the lugs being thinner, I cant say I agree. I'm trying to picture it in 3D and it seems like it will balance perfectly with the side of the case I have pictured in my head. Thanks for the progress Bill.
    Last edited by chris7013; June 10th, 2012 at 04:27.
    Seiko: 62MAS, 6105, 6306, 6139, BASM, FFF
    Marathon : GSAR
    Doxa: Anti-magnetic '45
    MKII: Project300 plank owner

I'd echo most of what's been said - I think Bill is off to a great start here. Not sure I would want to see the lugs too much thinner, part of the appeal to the SM300 (for me anyway) is it's chunkiness. Can't wait to see a second draft. I'm especially curious to see how the insert is going to look. We're still thinking sapphire, correct? I hope so, as that'll really give the Project 300 a unique look.
    The Collection

Kobold Pulsometer Chronograph
    Kobold Phantom
    Stowa Antea 390 LE
    MKII "Project 300" (Pre-order)

I am so excited with this project and can't wait to see the real prototype:)

Yao

I am taking small bites of the apple as I go. The are a lot of details that need to be worked out such as the hand size relative to the dial and as noted earlier the font sizes on the dial and the bezel.

I hope that you guys are beginning to see the dial design in context though. With the hands, as they are now drawn (which is also in its preliminary stages) the font sizes of the text seem too big to me. The 3, 6, and 9 are still too small but as we put the pieces together I think we can start to see proportions are really key to getting this right. The hands are just taken from our stock set of MOD Sword hands but the more I look at it I still have to tweak the proportions of the hands which will just drive me nuts. It took forever to get the proportions just right for the hands we offer now but there is a subtle difference between the feel of the MOD Sword hands on the Milsub and what they probably need to be for this project.

My wife helped me out and found a font for the "Project 300" text that I want to try. I hope to get this done next week so that you guys can see the options side by side. Here we just have the depth rating with and without the Circle-Y. Everything else is the same otherwise.

I also put in the "faux-retention" ring. That is why there is less black space between the edge of the minute track and the case opening. There is quite a gap between the inner diameter of the bezel and the case opening but that is the space where the bottle cap style sapphire crystal is supposed to sit. This area is obscured by the crystal itself. I may still need to adjust it but it won't be as noticeable with the crystal installed.

Let me know your comments about the hands, dial, bezel, text, etc....

Name:  20120614_test_sm.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  213.6 KB
    Last edited by Yao; June 15th, 2012 at 04:45.

Hi Bill,

I think you are right, the font on the depth rating and the word "AUTOMATIC" are too big. The hour hand also seems to be too short or that just may be my eyes playing tricks on me.

As for the name "Project 300" is putting it on the caseback rather than on the dial a possibility?

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by Reintitan View Post
    As for the name "Project 300" is putting it on the caseback rather than on the dial a possibility?
    Yes it is. I have a new font and design idea in mind that might be able to make Project 300 look good on the dial but it will be next week until I can mock it up.

Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information