Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot) - Page 8
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Aside from the font-size issues already noted, I like the font selection and layout. I prefer the circle-Y version by a tiny bit, the circle-Y providing a central unifying element for the 3-6-9, with Project 300 added, it'd probably look better without the circle-Y.

The hand shapes look great to my eye, but each might be a wee-bit off in terms of size; the hour hand looks a wee bit long/big, the seconds hand's spear head looks a wee-bit small, and the minute hand might be an itsy-bit short. but I'm probably wrong. That's in comparison to the original of course, I actually like the hour hand size above; I always thought that the original SM300's hour hand was too stubby.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    Yes it is. I have a new font and design idea in mind that might be able to make Project 300 look good on the dial but it will be next week until I can mock it up.
    Bill, another comment on the circle-Y. Would it be possible to make the font and thickness closer to that of the circle-T found on milsubs and/or even on the current CWC divers. It is very thick:

I don't know if this will make sense and these are just my thoughts while looking at the mock-ups. To me the hour hand should come just short of the long hour indices and it should mirror the thickness of the big triangle. However long you want the pointed end to be should be the same width as the triangle would be at that same point. The minute hand should sweep the minute hash marks where the shoulder of the point begins and the hand should match the hour indices in width where the shoulder crosses them. The seconds hand looks right for length, any longer and I wonder if it would be to distorted by the crystal. Any chance the base of the seconds hand arrow could be widened to match the minute hand width? I hope this was somewhat rational, it's late.

I am taking small bites of the apple as I go. The are a lot of details that need to be worked out such as the hand size relative to the dial and as noted earlier the font sizes on the dial and the bezel.

I hope that you guys are beginning to see the dial design in context though. With the hands, as they are now drawn (which is also in its preliminary stages) the font sizes of the text seem too big to me. The 3, 6, and 9 are still too small but as we put the pieces together I think we can start to see proportions are really key to getting this right. The hands are just taken from our stock set of MOD Sword hands but the more I look at it I still have to tweak the proportions of the hands which will just drive me nuts. It took forever to get the proportions just right for the hands we offer now but there is a subtle difference between the feel of the MOD Sword hands on the Milsub and what they probably need to be for this project.

My wife helped me out and found a font for the "Project 300" text that I want to try. I hope to get this done next week so that you guys can see the options side by side. Here we just have the depth rating with and without the Circle-Y. Everything else is the same otherwise.

I also put in the "faux-retention" ring. That is why there is less black space between the edge of the minute track and the case opening. There is quite a gap between the inner diameter of the bezel and the case opening but that is the space where the bottle cap style sapphire crystal is supposed to sit. This area is obscured by the crystal itself. I may still need to adjust it but it won't be as noticeable with the crystal installed.

Let me know your comments about the hands, dial, bezel, text, etc....

Attachment 737048
    Seiko: 62MAS, 6105, 6306, 6139, BASM, FFF
    Marathon : GSAR
    Doxa: Anti-magnetic '45
    MKII: Project300 plank owner

Quote Originally Posted by Reintitan View Post
    Bill, another comment on the circle-Y. Would it be possible to make the font and thickness closer to that of the circle-T found on milsubs and/or even on the current CWC divers. It is very thick:

I will, of course, trust in Bill's judgement and be happy with this watch whatever decision is made ... but I really hope the circle-Y does not make it onto the final dial design.

Neily

Quote Originally Posted by chris7013 View Post
    I don't know if this will make sense and these are just my thoughts while looking at the mock-ups. To me the hour hand should come just short of the long hour indices and it should mirror the thickness of the big triangle. However long you want the pointed end to be should be the same width as the triangle would be at that same point. The minute hand should sweep the minute hash marks where the shoulder of the point begins and the hand should match the hour indices in width where the shoulder crosses them. The seconds hand looks right for length, any longer and I wonder if it would be to distorted by the crystal. Any chance the base of the seconds hand arrow could be widened to match the minute hand width? I hope this was somewhat rational, it's late.
    Don't agree with your hour hand length at all. The length you are suggesting would make it caricature of the original SM300. Look at some pictures of the original SM300 in this thread and among of the defining features are the shapes and lengths of the hour and minute hands.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

I think some pictures may describe what I'm thinking better. http://www.9naliga.com/image/mypic_n...300%20date.jpg As you can see the hour hand comes just short (relative term) of the long hour indices. http://www.9naliga.com/image/mypic_n...20triangle.jpg The triangular tip of the hour hand mirrors the big triangle. http://www.9naliga.com/image/mypic_news/8(2).jpg The minute hand is the same width as the long hour indices and its tip cuts through the minute hash marks right at the edge of the bevel. I realize these are three different variations of dials and hands and that alone proves my point. We are making a homage not a copy and in my mind the proportions work.

I am taking small bites of the apple as I go. The are a lot of details that need to be worked out such as the hand size relative to the dial and as noted earlier the font sizes on the dial and the bezel.

I hope that you guys are beginning to see the dial design in context though. With the hands, as they are now drawn (which is also in its preliminary stages) the font sizes of the text seem too big to me. The 3, 6, and 9 are still too small but as we put the pieces together I think we can start to see proportions are really key to getting this right. The hands are just taken from our stock set of MOD Sword hands but the more I look at it I still have to tweak the proportions of the hands which will just drive me nuts. It took forever to get the proportions just right for the hands we offer now but there is a subtle difference between the feel of the MOD Sword hands on the Milsub and what they probably need to be for this project.

My wife helped me out and found a font for the "Project 300" text that I want to try. I hope to get this done next week so that you guys can see the options side by side. Here we just have the depth rating with and without the Circle-Y. Everything else is the same otherwise.

I also put in the "faux-retention" ring. That is why there is less black space between the edge of the minute track and the case opening. There is quite a gap between the inner diameter of the bezel and the case opening but that is the space where the bottle cap style sapphire crystal is supposed to sit. This area is obscured by the crystal itself. I may still need to adjust it but it won't be as noticeable with the crystal installed.

Let me know your comments about the hands, dial, bezel, text, etc....

Attachment 737048
    - looks a little like the "300 m - 1000 ft" is a tad to long...
    how about "300m - 1000ft" instead?

- I like the cirkle Y
    Last edited by jussi; June 17th, 2012 at 10:31.
    Jussi

Quote Originally Posted by chris7013
    I think some pictures may describe what I'm thinking better. http://www.9naliga.com/image/mypic_n...300%20date.jpg As you can see the hour hand comes just short (relative term) of the long hour indices. http://www.9naliga.com/image/mypic_n...20triangle.jpg The triangular tip of the hour hand mirrors the big triangle. http://www.9naliga.com/image/mypic_news/8(2).jpg The minute hand is the same width as the long hour indices and its tip cuts through the minute hash marks right at the edge of the bevel. I realize these are three different variations of dials and hands and that alone proves my point. We are making a homage not a copy and in my mind the proportions work.
    Thanks! Great pictures, but I think the length of the hour hand is being exaggerated by the parallax error from the angle at which the pictures are taken. Here's the opposite parallax / exaggeration and a straight on shot . I don't have a good feel for what you mean by 'just short of'; the hour hand in Bill's mockups seem a little long compared to the original to me, while it sounds like you want the hour hand to be longer, which given the shape of the hand would make it much too big in my mind.

I don't think we're that far apart on terms of design expectations, I suspect that it is more the difficulties of expressing subtle design ratios using text instead of exchanging ideas in person with pen and paper.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    Thanks! Great pictures, but I think the length of the hour hand is being exaggerated by the parallax error from the angle at which the pictures are taken. Here's the opposite parallax / exaggeration and a straight on shot . I don't have a good feel for what you mean by 'just short of'; the hour hand in Bill's mockups seem a little long compared to the original to me, while it sounds like you want the hour hand to be longer, which given the shape of the hand would make it much too big in my mind.

I don't think we're that far apart on terms of design expectations, I suspect that it is more the difficulties of expressing subtle design ratios using text instead of exchanging ideas in person with pen and paper.
    Nice posting. A real reality check!

Menno
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information