Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot) - Page 9
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Your post has been bugging the hell out of me the way you mentioned the parallax as if I didn't take it into account. I'm sure you didn't mean it in that way even though the first picture you used illustrates the point by using a different dial and what look like aftermarket hands. The second pic with the 12 3 6 9 dial shows the perfect dimensions I was trying to explain and find a picture of looking right down the center wheel pinion. The hour hand with this dial is much closer to touching the indices, the minute hand is exactly as I described, and the seconds hand has the perfect amount of lume real-estate within the delicate border of white. That is the look I hope we can come as close as possible to.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    Thanks! Great pictures, but I think the length of the hour hand is being exaggerated by the parallax error from the angle at which the pictures are taken. Here's the opposite parallax / exaggeration and a straight on shot . I don't have a good feel for what you mean by 'just short of'; the hour hand in Bill's mockups seem a little long compared to the original to me, while it sounds like you want the hour hand to be longer, which given the shape of the hand would make it much too big in my mind.

I don't think we're that far apart on terms of design expectations, I suspect that it is more the difficulties of expressing subtle design ratios using text instead of exchanging ideas in person with pen and paper.
    Seiko: 62MAS, 6105, 6306, 6139, BASM, FFF
    Marathon : GSAR
    Doxa: Anti-magnetic '45
    MKII: Project300 plank owner

Quote Originally Posted by chris7013 View Post
    Your post has been bugging the hell out of me the way you mentioned the parallax as if I didn't take it into account. I'm sure you didn't mean it in that way even though the first picture you used illustrates the point by using a different dial and what look like aftermarket hands. The second pic with the 12 3 6 9 dial shows the perfect dimensions I was trying to explain and find a picture of looking right down the center wheel pinion. The hour hand with this dial is much closer to touching the indices, the minute hand is exactly as I described, and the seconds hand has the perfect amount of lume real-estate within the delicate border of white. That is the look I hope we can come as close as possible to.
    Chris
    Hey Chris, I agree that I'd be thrilled if the Project300's hands looked like a brand new version of the example shot. I apologize if you took my comments about parallax that that way! Didn't mean to offend you or your judgement. Let's try a reset:

I think that Bill's current mockups are very close to the original, if anything the length of the hour hand looks a tiny bit long and the minute hand looks a tiny bit short when compared to the original example above. The second hand looks just about spot on for me. What do you guys think?
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

I think the mockups are just about perfect as far as the dial and hands going together. The only thing that doesn't look right to me is the bezel insert when compared to the bottom photo, as far as the triangle pip's shape and the font size of the numbers. As far as the dial print goes its one of the least important things to me. I'm sure it will turn out well balanced and would be happy with either example.
    The good news is I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. No, not from where we are. I saw it in a picture taken by a Kingston owner about a year ago . I think we have a long way to go unfortunately, but have faith Bill wont rush anything and sacrifice quality.

Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    Hey Chris, I agree that I'd be thrilled if the Project300's hands looked like a brand new version of the example shot. I apologize if you took my comments about parallax that that way! Didn't mean to offend you or your judgement. Let's try a reset:

I think that Bill's current mockups are very close to the original, if anything the length of the hour hand looks a tiny bit long and the minute hand looks a tiny bit short when compared to the original example above. The second hand looks just about spot on for me. What do you guys think?

Did you guys take in consideration that the hands of the mock up are white and so is the framework of these hands. On the Seamaster pictured here, the hands' framework have a different color. This alters the way you're looking at the pics when you're comparing the mock up and the Seamaster! I would like to suggest that Bill's proposal is (near) perfect.

Menno
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

I'm up in the air over silver vs white hands and leaning toward silver. Both will work for me so it's not a deal breaker either way.

I prefer the silver hands, but could live with white. ( Corrected: The second hand appears to be white on all of the originals I looked at.)

I would prefer NOT to see the 'Circle Y' on any version of this particular watch.

I would like to have 'Automatic' dropped from the dial - not needed.

The 'mIIk' logo could be made larger and placed lower between the 'big triangle' and the center of the dial.

And perhaps the depth rating could be configured as '300m~1000ft' (without the spaces) to take up less space.

I wonder if the big triangle could be a snitch smaller? It almost looks a little large to me.

Hand length as you all have discussed above may be close to perfect. The proportions or tapers may be worth looking at though. I am still ruminating on this. Been looking at a lot of pictures of the originals, and there are differences.

Bottom line on all of this though, as Bill knows, is that, it is the combination of all these elements working together that will determine the overall 'elegance' or perfection of the style-design.

Thank you for the opportunity to be heard, and I hope I have contributed to moving this forward.
    Last edited by OmegaCosmicMan; June 19th, 2012 at 16:30. Reason: Corrected; Second hand should be white!

Well, I'm pretty sure the hands will be mixed, with silver hour and minute hands and a white second hand. This is one of the defining characteristics of the original watch so I'd be surprised if it didn't transfer over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Semuta View Post
    Well, I'm pretty sure the hands will be mixed, with silver hour and minute hands and a white second hand. This is one of the defining characteristics of the original watch so I'd be surprised if it didn't transfer over here.
    Yes, I screwed up (when I said what I did) in my previous post. After I went back and looked again at several original examples, I realized that in every case, the second hand was actually white. Adds greatly to visibility and the ability to track the hand while moving, especially in low light. I'll have to go back and edit that post. I'm sorry - I was certainly wrong- Thanks for pointing it out.

Name:  sm300angle3.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  44.1 KB

I don't think I've ever seen this dial. Is it fake or some obscure 70's model? If fake, the hands would probably be fake as well.

Time for me to jump back into the P300 design threads. I just picked up a Watchco SM300 recently and can now more readily appreciate the differences between it and the Precista PRS-14.

I think that the latest mockups from Bill are really looking very sharp. I like how the "Automatic" text helps mirror the OMEGA text in the original and the circle-Y is really necessary to balance things out if we're not going to have "Project 300" on the dial. I'd prefer both, of course, but just the depth rating works pretty well too.
    MHe225 likes this.

Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information