Project GMT: Design thread - Page 11
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 11 of 296 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 61 111 ... LastLast
    Yao
    Quote Originally Posted by MHe225
    B for me - looks more balanced.

I am not (yet) second guessing my preference for the white dialed Key West and look forward to seeing mock-ups of those as well.
    I'm not a photoshop expert, so apologies if this is a stupid question: isn't showing a white dialed version not just a few mouse-clicks?

RonB
    It's a few more than that but in the end I just ran out of time. If I had more time I would have done the date window first.

Yao
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchamacallit
    Rather B than A, but preferably like this:
    Thanks for that. I will try to make the luminous bit bigger than the pic because at that size it will not glow well or for very long.

Yao
    Quote Originally Posted by tomr
    I also prefer B for its balanced look, as well as being more similar to the original. This dial, along with having the slightly thinner hands will differentiate it from the Kingston, sufficiently. The GMT hand can extend beyond the minute track, as it points to the hour number on the bezel.

Does this illustration imply that there will be a black dial version with gilt hands and indices? At some point it would be good to see mockups of black and white dials with silver hands and indices, as well.
    Yes there will be a black and white dial option. There will also be options for the corresponding bezels in aluminum. We are still trying to work out a sapphire option for the bezel.

Yao
    Quote Originally Posted by Thieuster
    Bill, may I add another question? Would it be possible to make the 'dotted' side of the second hand a fraction larger than on the two pics you showed us previously? Exactly long enough - so that the dot covers the center of the Mercedes EXACTLY when passing over/crossing it? For me, that's a sign of quality: taking care of even this tiny, tiny detail.

Menno
    Those of you with a Nassau....can you confirm my observation that the current seconds hand and hour hand already overlap as Menno suggested. It's purely an accident but a fortuitous one :)

I may need to update the mock-up of the seconds hand for accuracy.

Yao
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur

I agree the lume dot in this example is small. I have seen several others that have more lume on the same size arrow, makes a big difference. Another thing that happens, and I have seen this in old lume shots, the GMT hand is so close to the rehault that the lume reflects off and what you see are two lume dots, right next to each other.
    Interesting point!

Yao
    Quote Originally Posted by JCW1980

Interesting. Yeah i didnt think about the reflection of the GMT lume in the chamfered edge of the crystal.

I'm all about the small GMT triangle, just don't want to have to squint to see it. (But I would definitely prefer having to squint over having the huge, modern, clown triangle)
    We will have to do a test. The chamfer on the Kingston crystal is smaller than on an acrylic crystal so may be it won't be as much a factor plus we can always pull the GMT hand in a little to see what happens. We can test this with a LRRP GMT hand and may be a sweep seconds hand.

Yao
    I should be able to post a mock-up of the white dial by Tuesday.

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

Great answers, Bill, thanks. I'm looking forward to see your next set of proposals/pictures.

Menno

EDIT: after posting, I noticed that this is my 1000th WUS posting! Nice to see that it involves the design of the Key West GMT.

M.
    Last edited by Thieuster; September 30th, 2012 at 21:43.
    JCW1980, tmoris, MHe225 and 3 others like this.
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    We are still trying to work out a sapphire option for the bezel.
    Yea!!!
    Cpotters

The Line-up:

Tudor 7928, Bunch of beat-up old Rolexes, MKII Custom Stingray 50, MKII LRRP, MKII TR-1000, MKII Kingston, Benrus Type I, Benrus Ultra-deep Super-compressor plus other super-Cs, 60's Zodiac Seawolfand Super Seawolf, Breitling Chronomat, ...

and lots of other vintage stuff.Hidden Content

Yao
    Quote Originally Posted by 66Cooper
    Ok, I as temped and had a few minutes to mess around. Just a down and dirty sketch of an idea.

Not sure why it looks so terrible but you get the idea.
    Brian that's great. I won't need much help on the dial but would love to have your help on the case back. Here are some guidelines if it's okay:

- the globe as drawn may be trademarked. IIRC Pan Am used to use just the globe in the corporate ID
    - if you come up with a suitable design that include some cues from PanAm I would only suggest that you make sure t he design can't be modified to cause confusion or create an improper connection to PanAm
    - however there are some great old airline old logo styles we can borrow from
    - you may also consider making up an airline. For example WUS Air, for example (and of course with Ernie's blessing if the name strikes a cord)

Page 11 of 296 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread Information