Project GMT: Design thread - Page 12
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 12 of 296 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    Those of you with a Nassau....can you confirm my observation that the current seconds hand and hour hand already overlap as Menno suggested. It's purely an accident but a fortuitous one :)

I may need to update the mock-up of the seconds hand for accuracy.
    Yes, it does overlap on my Nassau (#03) dead center; also on my LRRP GMT 48 with the Mercedes hands, it overlaps as well, but it's not 100% over the center of the Mercedes star of the hour hand, about a 1/2 mm off of center. As for my Kingston, it's at the bank so I can't check it at the moment.

Brian that's great. I won't need much help on the dial but would love to have your help on the case back. Here are some guidelines if it's okay:

- the globe as drawn may be trademarked. IIRC Pan Am used to use just the globe in the corporate ID
    - if you come up with a suitable design that include some cues from PanAm I would only suggest that you make sure t he design can't be modified to cause confusion or create an improper connection to PanAm
    - however there are some great old airline old logo styles we can borrow from
    - you may also consider making up an airline. For example WUS Air, for example (and of course with Ernie's blessing if the name strikes a cord)
    Just my $0.02, but can we please not "make up an airline"? There's no need to make one up and "WUS Air" sounds terrible IMHO If there are copyright or trademark issues, let's go ahead and skip the engraving. This watch is a homage and inspired by the 6542, and IMHO it doesn't need to pretend to be something it is not. No to poseurs

I cannot believe that just the globe logo would be a problem, because:

Man From UNCLE logo:
    The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Logo Mousepad (new), MTCTOYS.COM

DTH DRILLING SOLUTIONS logo:
    HOME

Globe Oil's logo:
    http://images.wikia.com/gtawiki/imag...e-Oil-Logo.PNG

And so on......these are all just generic globes, hinted at with latitude and longitude lines. HOWEVER, the Pan Am Globe is very different:

http://www.bynonartservices.com/mark...am_logosvg.png

much more stylized, with curved latitudes swinging from the equator and a single longitude line in the center. In other words, the less stylized, the better.

BTW, I'll bet you twenty bucks that the Pan Am typeface in the globe is also copyright protected.
    Last edited by cpotters; October 2nd, 2012 at 00:41.
    eganwh likes this.
    Cpotters

The Line-up:

Tudor 7928, Bunch of beat-up old Rolexes, MKII Custom Stingray 50, MKII LRRP, MKII TR-1000, MKII Kingston, Benrus Type I, Benrus Ultra-deep Super-compressor plus other super-Cs, 60's Zodiac Seawolfand Super Seawolf, Breitling Chronomat, ...

and lots of other vintage stuff.Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by cpotters View Post
    I cannot believe that just the globe logo would be a problem, because:

Man From UNCLE logo:
    The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Logo Mousepad (new), MTCTOYS.COM

DTH DRILLING SOLUTIONS logo:
    HOME

Globe Oil's logo:
    http://images.wikia.com/gtawiki/imag...e-Oil-Logo.PNG

And so on......these are all just generic globes, hinted at with latitude and longitude lines. HOWEVER, the Pan Am Globe is very different:

http://www.bynonartservices.com/mark...am_logosvg.png

much more stylized, with curved latitudes swinging from the equator and a single longitude line in the center. In other words, the less stylized, the better.

BTW, I'll bet you twenty bucks that the Pan Am typeface in the globe is also copyright protected.

Charlie, I bet you are right, there are lots and lots of globe logos for companies all over the world. I don't think you would raise and eyebrow unless you copied the Pan Am globe almost exactly. Go to eBay and type in Pan Am there are hundreds of items for sale, some of them are original memorabilia from the company, but a whole lot of it is new stuff, and everything has the Pan Am logo on it. I doubt that Bill would risk running afoul of the folks who own all the Pan Am copyrights, but there should be workable solutions that feature a similar globe on the case back.
    Divers - Pre Sub Doxa 300m Dive Watch - Doxa Sub 300T Professional (US Divers) - Ocean7 LM-7 Ploprof - Ocean7 LM-7 Plorof Pro Titanium -Rolex 1665 SD-Rolex 1680 -Rolex 16610 Submariner - MKII Stingray 60 - MKII Kingston Gilt/non date - MKII Kingston Gilt/Date - Orthos 300 Commander
    Others- MKII Key West GMT(on the way) - Rolex GMT 16750 - IWC Calatrava - Ocean7 LM-5 GMT- Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde - Longines Hour Angle Lindberg - Tudor "Big Block" Chrono

Myla's Favorite's Doxa Sub 200 Coralline, Omega Seamaster 120 - Rolex Datejust 18k/SS - Chronosport Panther - Maurice Lacroix - Omega 14k Mesh - Tag Heuer TT Aquaracer

Quote Originally Posted by cpotters View Post
    That's not a bet you want to make, cp.

Cheers,
    Packleader
    cpotters likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Packleader View Post
    That's not a bet you want to make, cp.

Cheers,
    Packleader
    Well, I believe in being cocky, but only to a point: that's why I didn't say one hundred
    Packleader likes this.
    Cpotters

The Line-up:

Tudor 7928, Bunch of beat-up old Rolexes, MKII Custom Stingray 50, MKII LRRP, MKII TR-1000, MKII Kingston, Benrus Type I, Benrus Ultra-deep Super-compressor plus other super-Cs, 60's Zodiac Seawolfand Super Seawolf, Breitling Chronomat, ...

and lots of other vintage stuff.Hidden Content

We are still trying to work out a sapphire option for the bezel.
    Now THAT gets me excited about this project!

Yao

Here is mock-up of the Black and white versions of the dial "B". I know there are those of you that want to do a black print on a white painted dial but I ask you to reserve judgement of the mock-up until I post a crude but still more useful picture of what the dial can look like. Personally I think a black print on white dial will look cheap. I think the dual plating with white and gold is more befitting an executive look. Believe me when I say I am not doing myself any favors. A black and white dial would be much cheaper and easier to manufacture than the version I am proposing.

Please note that on the while dial I have outlined the luminous markers in black for contrast. In actuality there will be no black printing around the luminous markers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

STEELINOX, Izzy, eganwh and 5 others like this.

Alaska or between Alaska, Mexico and Oregon's high desert country

Awesome Bill!

I have to admit the white dial takes my breath away.

But, and I know this is going to be really hard to do, but I have to ask-

Instead of a black outline around the hour markings, what about dark blue, like a navy blue, with the gold? If that is possible.

And I wonder what the white dial would look like with C3 filling the markers where they are white now?

Now, here is another thing I have been trying to do...the case back. (Credit to 66cooper here for the inspiration ...and the hijacked drawing! )

Something old (borrowed) and something new (MKII) pardon the poor attempt, I've tried to modify others' work (credit: 66 cooper) to get my idea across. Building on the work of others as it were - I'm no graphic artist, but here goes....

Name:  B_CB_Proj1.jpeg
Views: 948
Size:  26.4 KB

Where I have shown the MKII logo in black (because I have not figured out how to show it otherwise - yet) imagine it engraved. This takes inspiration from the original case back logo and adds some MKII branding (in a big way).

What do you all think?
    Last edited by OmegaCosmicMan; October 3rd, 2012 at 08:14. Reason: (Additions and corrections....)
    Dzunz001 likes this.

Alaska or between Alaska, Mexico and Oregon's high desert country

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaCosmicMan View Post
    Awesome Bill!

I have to admit the white dial takes my breath away.

And I wonder what the white dial would look like with C3 filling the markers where they are white now?

What do you all think?
    (Apologizing in advance....)

Well, a saying where I grew into one career that I had was ".... that it is easier to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permission..."

If you'll bear with me, I took the liberty of modifying Bill's suggested white dial above, and filled the hour markers in with what my digital camera and my computer say is the color of C3 lume (from another watch) - (It may look a little too dark yellow to me....)

Name:  Dial_V1.1(_omc).jpg
Views: 865
Size:  50.8 KB

What do you all think?

Thank you Bill, for all the signs of forward progress on the projects.

-Best to all; Good Night!
    Last edited by OmegaCosmicMan; October 3rd, 2012 at 08:16.
    White Tuna likes this.

Page 12 of 296 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread Information