Project GMT: Design thread - Page 13
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 13 of 296 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

Wow, I wasn't expecting that the white dial would look so wonderful! Before looking at it, I was convinced that the black dial would be my first (and only...) choice. I'm not so sure anymore. I love the caseback btw. It takes it away from the obvious: the PanAm logo, but it keeps in touch (so to speak) with the original theme.

I'm returning to what I've written before: is it possible to get both dials? One installed and the other one as a 'spare'. It will add value to the whole project.

Menno
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Awesome Bill. That white dial really pops with the gold. May I request that for both the black and white dials, can we get the font "KEY WEST - GMT" to be in red? The earliest 6542s had their "GMT-Master" writing in red. Very rare.

Here's some pics of a white/silver dial 1675 Cornino (pointed crown guard) with the PanAM engraving! Pics copyright from Bullibeer and posted on VRF.

And here's an amazing condition 6542 with Serpico Y Laino dial.

tmoris, White Tuna and Dzunz001 like this.

I agree that black print on a white dial looks cheap - I'm thinking of a current watch model from a famous Swiss watch brand. I am surprised how nice the gold/white dual plating looks.

I wonder, however, how it will look when prototyped. I say that because I have the Kingston in gold/black and the "look" of the gold on black changes depending on how light hits the surface.

I'm assuming that white is white but Bill, are you thinking of having the white base match the color of the lume? The other potential issue is that the gold might look washed out against the white...again not sure how it will look once produced.

Not trying to make this even tougher but is there a way to give the gold text a thin black outline so that it "pops"?
    Last edited by kkmark; October 3rd, 2012 at 15:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Thieuster
    Wow, I wasn't expecting that the white dial would look so wonderful!
    I was and I'm absolutely not disappointed. I'm getting even more excited about thi soption as I was before and hope that the suggestion made by some -and quoeted by Menno- turns in to reality: Plank kits with both white and black dials I know that I will then ask Bill to install the white dial on my watch.

And I do like OCM's mock-up of the case-back too

RonB
    Last edited by MHe225; October 3rd, 2012 at 16:57.
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.

I love everything about the mock-ups, especially the white dial version. I think we should look at the use of C3 closer on the white dial as suggested.

I am not a big fan of black outlined details on a white dial. Case in point: I love the Patek Nautilus and though I have not seen the white dial that debuted this year I think that it looks cartoon-ish in pictures.
    White Tuna and OmegaCosmicMan like this.
    Regards

Barry

I think that the quality of the gilt 'lines' around the lumen is soo good that it will not be necessary to use black lines. Remember: the lumen is a little raised above dial, making shadows on the gilt lines, adding contrast between the gilt and the white dial. On the other hands, a paper white dial will be so bright that it will 'absorb' the gold. An ivory colored dial will be less bright, more pleasing to look at and it will enhance the gilt lines. (I have no other word than 'ivory', but I'm sure you know what I mean).

Menno

Here's one of Galpo's pics to show what I mean. I hope you don't mind using one of your pics! I don't have macro shots of my Kingston... - if you not happy with the fact I'm using these pics, just let me know and I will remove it off course.

M

EDIT: funny how one is tossed between choices! On November 2 2011 (posting #5 of that thread), I was convinced that a white dial would look perfect and I would like to see the black dial in a (the) spares kit. Later my taste changed towards the black dial... and now I'm back again, loving the looks of the propesed white dial! How would you like the PanAm to look?

Last edited by Thieuster; October 3rd, 2012 at 19:38.
    tako_watch and OmegaCosmicMan like this.
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Quote Originally Posted by kkmark View Post
    I agree that black print on a white dial looks cheap - I'm thinking of a current watch model from a famous Swiss watch brand. I am surprised how nice the gold/white dual plating looks.

I wonder, however, how it will look when prototyped. I say that because I have the Kingston in gold/black and the "look" of the gold on black changes depending on how light hits the surface.

I'm assuming that white is white but Bill, are you thinking of having the white base match the color of the lume? The other potential issue is that the gold might look washed out against the white...again not sure how it will look once produced.

Not trying to make this even tougher but is there a way to give the gold text a thin black outline so that it "pops"?
    My thinking was along this thought also, but I was thinking a very thin navy or very dark blue between the gold dial marker and the white dial.

But, I will rely on Bill's judgement here - In the end he's going to have to design the thing and see that his vision is brought forward, and it will carry his company's name and reputation - I defer to his judgement and opinion.

I am very glad and grateful to have the opportunity to suggest and discuss. And, I am very glad to see the evolution and progress of this watch design.

I have a hunch that this will be MKII's ultimate pinnacle of achievement thus far. The bar just moves higher and higher.....
    JCW1980 likes this.

Seems silly that I agreed that black text on a white dial looks cheap...and then in the same post I asked about black outlines! If I could rephrase, I'd just simply ask about whether more contrast - whether it be an "ivory" white used or an outline of some sort - can be built into the white dial so the gold is not washed out from certain angles.

Will the gilt process for the Key West dials be the same as the process used forthe Kingston's?

Also, would the second hand on the white faced version look better with a red tip?
    Last edited by White Tuna; October 4th, 2012 at 16:12.

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by White Tuna View Post
    Will the gilt process for the Key West dials be the same as the process used forthe Kingston's?
    Yes the process is largely the same. The technique is only slightly different.

Also, would the second hand on the white faced version look better with a red tip?
    Yes perhaps it would. Although I don't know if this will be an option.

Page 13 of 296 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 63 113 ... LastLast