Project GMT: Design thread - Page 15
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 15 of 296 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 65 115 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

Quote Originally Posted by messenius View Post
    Don't know about the C3 lume. I'm afraid that there would be too much going on with the colour palette: bezel red/blue, 24hr hand red, hour markers/hands gold (yellow) and the greenish lume of C3. Would it still look balanced, I'm not sure. But with BGW9 the hour markers might not be visible at a glance.

But do we know if the white dial is matt or glossy? If glossy then the matt lume could make enough contrast to the dial for easy reading. Another option is to use aged lume. The 'age' could be very mild and only to add contrast to the white dial. The advantage of age lume for me is the brownish/yellowish tint compared to green of C3. Still the age lume would have weak lume power but I can live with that.
    I like the aged lume but there are enough people here that hate it that I am not going to fight it. I think it would be a deal killer for several. I view C3 as a compromise but I am not sure if the people who dislike the vintage/aged lume like C3 any more or less.

This watch was presented by the Dutch Horloge forum in 2011 as the Annual Limited Edition. I didn't buy one... I think you can guess why. Point is, it contains all sorts of details we're discussing now: red lettering, black lines around the lumen, aged lumen etc. Just feast your eyes - or not...

Menno

Image by Zoltar from horlogeforum.nl

Last edited by Thieuster; October 5th, 2012 at 14:51.
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Well the Steinhart lume is certainly not to my liking. Not an lume expert, but I think there are several options for the lume colour some of it might be called for aged lume but a bit more refined colour tone than on Steinhart. The Jaeger tribute to Memovox Deep Sea is a good example IMO (but then again the dial is black so it might not be a good reference point)
    Last edited by messenius; October 5th, 2012 at 15:08.

Quote Originally Posted by messenius View Post
    Don't know about the C3 lume. I'm afraid that there would be too much going on with the colour palette …
    Yes, depending on how much light my Kingston gets, the green glow of the C3 isn’t exactly subtle. I suppose it would come close to this:

Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by Watchamacallit View Post
    Yes, depending on how much light my Kingston gets, the green glow of the C3 isn’t exactly subtle. I suppose it would come close to this:

I like that lume on that white.
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.

Perhaps this a thought: the aged lumen (like the Steinhart's) looks like the designer was (desperately) trying to mimic an old PanAm watch, where Bill is trying to echo a watch from an era long gone. (Pretty difficult strike the right chord in English - I hope you all get my drift).

Menno
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Alaska or between Alaska, Mexico and Oregon's high desert country

Quote Originally Posted by Thieuster View Post
    Perhaps this a thought: the aged lumen (like the Steinhart's) looks like the designer was (desperately) trying to mimic an old PanAm watch, where Bill is trying to echo a watch from an era long gone. (Pretty difficult strike the right chord in English - I hope you all get my drift).

Menno
    I think I understand what you are trying to get to....But, the Steinhart shown above has a lot of other design elements at work that combine with the lume choice to produce the full, final effect (whether it appeals to you, or not).

The thing I learned, and it really surprised me, was how different the lume color can look, depending on the brightness and color temperature of the ambient light, that the watch is seen (or photographed) in.
    Last edited by OmegaCosmicMan; October 6th, 2012 at 07:38.

Alaska or between Alaska, Mexico and Oregon's high desert country

Quote Originally Posted by White Tuna View Post
    I like that lume on that white.
    That is the color I've been trying to capture - it has eluded me so far. I haven't been able to get it right. I think it may look surprisingly good when combined with the gold dial markings and hands - and now I agree...probably best not to have a dark outline around the hour markers between the gold and the white dial.....

the steinhart cases are all the same and this one is no exception. note how high it is on the inside (coming from the edge of the dial to the crystal).. you might not notice this in the beginning, but to me it is visually very annoying .. not to mention all the other stuff ..

Yao

Posted this pic in our Gallery. I will post some more detailed pics of the watch in the coming days. I ran out of time today to do it.

Name:  tumblr_mbjsi7Fdkr1reu0awo1_500.jpg
Views: 2291
Size:  238.3 KB
    Caption: "Here is a pic of a white dialed Kingston we did as a prototype for the Project GMT. The watch in this pic is my wife’s which she has been wearing for a little more than a year."

Page 15 of 296 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 65 115 ... LastLast

Thread Information