Project GMT: Design thread - Page 17
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 17 of 296 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 67 117 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    I hadn't really thought about it yet. However I had assumed that we would have to pick 2 out of the following 4 options:

* Gilt and black
    * Silver and black
    * Gilt and white
    * Black printing and white paint

The first three options use a process similar to what was used on the Kingston. The Gilt/white option is slightly different which I will have to explain later this week.

P.S. Yes I haven't forgotten about the brown option but its not mentioned above because it wasn't part of the original pricing.
    At this point I am much more in favor of the gilt over a printed black dial on the white face. However if there is a black metal/metalic that you can repeat the process with on the white face that could be interesting. I do not think there is a shiny black metal though.

Will you decide on the brown dial before the final ordering phase? Brown/Gilt would be my first choice by far.

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by White Tuna View Post
    At this point I am much more in favor of the gilt over a printed black dial on the white face. However if there is a black metal/metalic that you can repeat the process with on the white face that could be interesting. I do not think there is a shiny black metal though.
    I haven't gotten a clear answer on this from my supplier. Theoretically it can be done but if the black has to be laid down first it may make the white look dirty or gray.
    White Tuna likes this.

I haven't gotten a clear answer on this from my supplier. Theoretically it can be done but if the black has to be laid down first it may make the white look dirty or gray.
    Thanks for the answer Bill! I would never have considered that. I am glad you are the one designing the watches!
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.

Thumbs Up Re: Project GMT: Design thread

Posted this pic in our Gallery. I will post some more detailed pics of the watch in the coming days. I ran out of time today to do it.

Attachment 841940
    Caption: "Here is a pic of a white dialed Kingston we did as a prototype for the Project GMT. The watch in this pic is my wife’s which she has been wearing for a little more than a year."
    Oh....Bill. This is sweet.....Have you got any additional, larger pictures that you can post?

What color is the lumen?

Thanks for posting. If I had any lingering doubts about the elegant appeal of the white/gilt dial, they are long gone....

Thanks for posting....

More?

-Best....

Posted this pic in our Gallery. I will post some more detailed pics of the watch in the coming days. I ran out of time today to do it.

Attachment 841940
    Caption: "Here is a pic of a white dialed Kingston we did as a prototype for the Project GMT. The watch in this pic is my wife’s which she has been wearing for a little more than a year."
    Bill,

I am so happy you posted this picture, if you know what I mean.
    Regards

Barry

1957 “Tropical Dial” GMT-Master:

Attachment 842827

1962 Pan Am GMT-Master:

Attachment 842829

Wow,

I can't believe how much difference there is between the two watches you posted. The 1957 model is just so much nicer to my eye although I can't really state why.

Quote Originally Posted by aviate View Post
    1957 “Tropical Dial” GMT-Master:

Attachment 842827

1962 Pan Am GMT-Master:

Attachment 842829

Wow,

I can't believe how much difference there is between the two watches you posted. The 1957 model is just so much nicer to my eye although I can't really state why.
    I think the 1957 dial has the GMT spaced hour markers which are just a hair closer to the center and larger than those on the 1962 dial. Note the difference in distance between the end of the hour hand and the 10 o'clock dot, also the difference in spacing between the three lines of writing and the 6 o'clock marker, also the GMT head clears the 5 o'clock marker on the 1957 dial while it overlaps on the 1962 dial. Great examples. Thanks!
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    I think the 1957 dial has the GMT spaced hour markers which are just a hair closer to the center and larger than those on the 1962 dial. Note the difference in distance between the end of the hour hand and the 10 o'clock dot, also the difference in spacing between the three lines of writing and the 6 o'clock marker, also the GMT head clears the 5 o'clock marker on the 1957 dial while it overlaps on the 1962 dial. Great examples. Thanks!
    Those are both beautiful examples of the 6542 and the early 1675 PCG (pointed Crown Guards). I agree with you about the dial, but I also believe that when you look at the 1675, it looks pretty much like all 1675's and early 16750's. Crown guards, same dial. The only difference would be the later 1675's had the bigger arrow on the GMT hand. I also think the larger ,closer in dial plots on the 6542 make a big difference. the only thing I would do with these two if I owned them both would be to swap the bracelets. I like the Oyster on the 6542 and the Jubilee on the 1675 better.
    STEELINOX and OmegaCosmicMan like this.
    Divers - Pre Sub Doxa 300m Dive Watch - Doxa Sub 300T Professional (US Divers) - Ocean7 LM-7 Ploprof - Ocean7 LM-7 Plorof Pro Titanium -Rolex 1665 SD-Rolex 1680 -Rolex 16610 Submariner - MKII Stingray 60 - MKII Kingston Gilt/non date - MKII Kingston Gilt/Date - Orthos 300 Commander
    Others- MKII Key West GMT(on the way) - Rolex GMT 16750 - IWC Calatrava - Ocean7 LM-5 GMT- Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde - Longines Hour Angle Lindberg - Tudor "Big Block" Chrono

Myla's Favorite's Doxa Sub 200 Coralline, Omega Seamaster 120 - Rolex Datejust 18k/SS - Chronosport Panther - Maurice Lacroix - Omega 14k Mesh - Tag Heuer TT Aquaracer

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Those are both beautiful examples of the 6542 and the early 1675 PCG (pointed Crown Guards). I agree with you about the dial, but I also believe that when you look at the 1675, it looks pretty much like all 1675's and early 16750's. Crown guards, same dial. The only difference would be the later 1675's had the bigger arrow on the GMT hand. I also think the larger ,closer in dial plots on the 6542 make a big difference. the only thing I would do with these two if I owned them both would be to swap the bracelets. I like the Oyster on the 6542 and the Jubilee on the 1675 better.
    Thanks to both Arthur and enkidu for their comments. Another aspect is the bezel design. The earlier watch's font and dark blue colour on the watch combine to give it a more vintage feel and set it apart from other homages and the 1675's and 16750's. This could serve to further individualize the Project GMT.
    STEELINOX and OmegaCosmicMan like this.

I like the 57 for all those reasons posted above. Its have a much cleaner look. A one thing I really love is the GMT hand and where it falls on the dial. It goes past the hour marker and (should) just touch where the minute marker hits the minute-ring. I feel this helps separate the GMT hand so that it is pointing to the bezel. So, the hour, minute, second hands are all dealing with stuff from the hour markers in, while the GMT deals just outside and more to the bezel. Its slight but thats what I love about it.
    STEELINOX likes this.

Page 17 of 296 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 67 117 ... LastLast

Thread Information