Project GMT: Design thread - Page 18
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 18 of 296 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

This evening I was flipping through my copy of Vintage Rolex Sports Models (Skeet & Urul, Ed.3, pg.61 - for those of you who have a copy and want to follow along ) and ran across something interesting.

Apparently the cyclops was an optional feature rather than standard on the GMT Master 6542 until the early 60's. Don't know if that'll make any of you feel better about the probability of not having a cyclops on the Key West, but I thought it was worth mentioning. That's also the first time I've heard of an "option" being available on a Rolex (short of buying a different bracelet).

This book uses computer mockup dials on photographed cases (the effect is pretty realistic) for a visual of each variation, so there's a picture here that pretty much looks like what I imagine the black dial Key West will look like: gilt hands/indices/lume-surrounds, small GMT triangle, red date, no CG, no cyclops. I'm tempted to take a picture and post it, but I don't want to possibly run afoul of any forum copyright related rules. Here's a link to a pic I was able to find of one sans cyclops (sorry, it's a rough example...watch has got some serious character, but should give you an idea).

Here's your image, JCW1980...

Its what I would want for a GMT...

Last edited by STEELINOX; October 19th, 2012 at 03:25.
    Nylon NATION Co-Conspirator
    Lug Hole Loyalist
    Chamfer Line Inspector

I think I am liking the darker blue and red bezel a lot more now.

STEELINOX and Tetraflop like this.

Quote Originally Posted by White Tuna View Post
    I think I am liking the darker blue and red bezel a lot more now.

Witha white dial = top marks !
    Lug Hole Loyalist
    Chamfer Line Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by STEELINOX View Post
    Its what I would want for a GMT...
    Originally I was dead set on the white dial, but over the last year of thinking about this project, I've become more and more unsure. I think once it's time to decide, I'm going to be leaning toward the black dial + pepsi bezel too. This pic is pretty dead on.

Its going to be even harder then choosing my Kingston setup! Hehe

I wouldn't put too much credence in Skeet & Urul!! If you ask most of the Vintage Rolex guys such as some of those over on the Vintage Rolex Forum, they will all pretty much agree that Vintage Rolex Sport Models is filled with inaccuracies. I have one myself, and thought it was pretty darn good until I was severly chastised for quoting from the book!! I am and will always be a firm advocate of the cyclops. It makes the date much easier to read, especially for those of us with "old" eyes. Righht now as I type this, I'm wearing my old 1665 SeaDweller which doesn't have a cyclops, and the date is 2.5X smaller than my submariner or GMT, which makes it much harder to see especially in lower light situations.
    Divers - Pre Sub Doxa 300m Dive Watch - Doxa Sub 300T Professional (US Divers) - Ocean7 LM-7 Ploprof - Ocean7 LM-7 Plorof Pro Titanium -Rolex 1665 SD-Rolex 1680 -Rolex 16610 Submariner - MKII Stingray 60 - MKII Kingston Gilt/non date - MKII Kingston Gilt/Date - Orthos 300 Commander
    Others- MKII Key West GMT(on the way) - Rolex GMT 16750 - IWC Calatrava - Ocean7 LM-5 GMT- Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde - Longines Hour Angle Lindberg - Tudor "Big Block" Chrono

Myla's Favorite's Doxa Sub 200 Coralline, Omega Seamaster 120 - Rolex Datejust 18k/SS - Chronosport Panther - Maurice Lacroix - Omega 14k Mesh - Tag Heuer TT Aquaracer

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I wouldn't put too much credence in Skeet & Urul!! If you ask most of the Vintage Rolex guys such as some of those over on the Vintage Rolex Forum, they will all pretty much agree that Vintage Rolex Sport Models is filled with inaccuracies. I have one myself, and thought it was pretty darn good until I was severly chastised for quoting from the book!! I am and will always be a firm advocate of the cyclops. It makes the date much easier to read, especially for those of us with "old" eyes. Righht now as I type this, I'm wearing my old 1665 SeaDweller which doesn't have a cyclops, and the date is 2.5X smaller than my submariner or GMT, which makes it much harder to see especially in lower light situations.
    I've worn this with 50 year old eyes without problem...

White Tuna likes this.
    Lug Hole Loyalist
    Chamfer Line Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by STEELINOX View Post
    I've worn this with 50 year old eyes without problem...

I can't dispute that some have and easier time with non-cyclops watches, My eyes are a few years older than yours(about 18) and I do have some problems with seeing smaller numbers. I do have several watches that don't have cyclops, Stingray, Kingston date, my SD,etc, so I do buy watches that don't have cyclops. My basic point is the Rolex GMT's which I believe the Key West is supposed to be a homage of , are all watches with cyclops. i would like to see the Key West kept as true to the original 6542 as possible without incurring the wrath of Rolex USA or SA. That's my only point.
    Divers - Pre Sub Doxa 300m Dive Watch - Doxa Sub 300T Professional (US Divers) - Ocean7 LM-7 Ploprof - Ocean7 LM-7 Plorof Pro Titanium -Rolex 1665 SD-Rolex 1680 -Rolex 16610 Submariner - MKII Stingray 60 - MKII Kingston Gilt/non date - MKII Kingston Gilt/Date - Orthos 300 Commander
    Others- MKII Key West GMT(on the way) - Rolex GMT 16750 - IWC Calatrava - Ocean7 LM-5 GMT- Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde - Longines Hour Angle Lindberg - Tudor "Big Block" Chrono

Myla's Favorite's Doxa Sub 200 Coralline, Omega Seamaster 120 - Rolex Datejust 18k/SS - Chronosport Panther - Maurice Lacroix - Omega 14k Mesh - Tag Heuer TT Aquaracer

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I can't dispute that some have and easier time with non-cyclops watches, My eyes are a few years older than yours(about 18) and I do have some problems with seeing smaller numbers. I do have several watches that don't have cyclops, Stingray, Kingston date, my SD,etc, so I do buy watches that don't have cyclops. My basic point is the Rolex GMT's which I believe the Key West is supposed to be a homage of , are all watches with cyclops. i would like to see the Key West kept as true to the original 6542 as possible without incurring the wrath of Rolex USA or SA. That's my only point.
    Certainly a valid point and concern. I personally wouldn't mind it either way. I'm definitely buying one whatever happens.

Page 18 of 296 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Thread Information