Project GMT: Design thread - Page 19
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 19 of 296 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

I tend to think along the same lines. Furthermore (and correct me when I'm wrong!) I'm under the impression that most (non-Rolex) cyclops are not of the '2.5x maginifying type': most only reach the 2x magnifying level. Now, that would be pushing the envelop when MKII installs a 2.5 cyclops!

Menno
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

I think that if Bill get the font just right and the roulette date wheel (Red/black) everyone is going to want to stare at that as large as they can!!! Haha. I really like the cyclops and feel it was one of those elements that just makes a GMT but mostly that is because of these older models and that amazing roulette wheel. It seems silly (well, at lest if talking to non-watch peeps) that just a small thing could excited a person but I love it. I built a watch with a roulette wheel and actually started to only wear is on the days that the date was red because it just seems so much more special. With the proper and wonderful Rolex style open font, forget about it. I would be over the moon. Add in a gilt dial and I might stop seeing the world around me all together. Ha!!

Quote Originally Posted by JCW1980 View Post
    This evening I was flipping through my copy of Vintage Rolex Sports Models (Skeet & Urul, Ed.3, pg.61 - for those of you who have a copy and want to follow along ) and ran across something interesting.

Apparently the cyclops was an optional feature rather than standard on the GMT Master 6542 until the early 60's. Don't know if that'll make any of you feel better about the probability of not having a cyclops on the Key West, but I thought it was worth mentioning. That's also the first time I've heard of an "option" being available on a Rolex (short of buying a different bracelet).

This book uses computer mockup dials on photographed cases (the effect is pretty realistic) for a visual of each variation, so there's a picture here that pretty much looks like what I imagine the black dial Key West will look like: gilt hands/indices/lume-surrounds, small GMT triangle, red date, no CG, no cyclops. I'm tempted to take a picture and post it, but I don't want to possibly run afoul of any forum copyright related rules. Here's a link to a pic I was able to find of one sans cyclops (sorry, it's a rough example...watch has got some serious character, but should give you an idea).
    Actually, most of the early tool Rolexes could be ordered with a different crystal. I only know this because the vintage crowd has researched and reported this to support crystal swaps (such as Sub Dates without cyclops).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    STEELINOX likes this.
    MkII Vantage
    MkII LRRP
    MkII Kingston
    MkII Project GMT plank preorder
    MkII Nassau big crown
    MkII Nassau 369
    MkII Hawkinge 48 (preorder)
    MkII Project 300 (preorder)
    OWC Blue Snowflake A10
    Panerai PAM 359 - 1950 3 Days
    Rolex Submariner 1680 MkVI Red
    Rolex Sea-Dweller 16660
    Rolex GMT-II 116710
    Citizen Titanium Eco-Zilla
    Seiko Black Samurai
    Tag Heuer 4000 Auto
    Nav B-Uhr Vintage Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Actually, most of the early tool Rolexes could be ordered with a different crystal. I only know this because the vintage crowd has researched and reported this to support crystal swaps (such as Sub Dates without cyclops).

Nice, I've never heard that.

That's actually one of the reasons I like the SD so much...the lack of a cyclops. I get tired of seeing cyclopses sometimes. Feel like every guy out there that wants a nice watch (and typically knows little to nothing about watches) and has a little money or a credit card...they all seem to go out and get a rolex sub.

That "everybody has one" stigma is one of the reasons that I have little interest in owning a rolex that isn't vintage, and one of the reasons I love MKII. Running into someone else wearing a MKII would be a treat...instead of cause for eye-rolling.

...sorry...that turned into a bit of a rant...

I really would like to see more pictures of the white/gilt dial (hint, hint Bill :)

Nice, I've never heard that.

That's actually one of the reasons I like the SD so much...the lack of a cyclops. I get tired of seeing cyclopses sometimes. Feel like every guy out there that wants a nice watch (and typically knows little to nothing about watches) and has a little money or a credit card...they all seem to go out and get a rolex sub.

That "everybody has one" stigma is one of the reasons that I have little interest in owning a rolex that isn't vintage, and one of the reasons I love MKII. Running into someone else wearing a MKII would be a treat...instead of cause for eye-rolling.

...sorry...that turned into a bit of a rant...
    Yeah, a 1680 and 1675 (I think) with domes...

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1350930942861.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1350930963975.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  57.6 KB

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by TheDude; October 22nd, 2012 at 21:37.
    STEELINOX and JCW1980 like this.
    MkII Vantage
    MkII LRRP
    MkII Kingston
    MkII Nassau big crown
    MkII Nassau 369
    OWC Blue Snowflake A10
    Rolex Sea-Dweller 16660
    Rolex GMT-II 116710
    Seiko Black Samurai
    Tag Heuer 4000 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Yeah, a 1680 and 1675 (I think) with domes...
    Very, Very Cool!

Love the domed acryllic! Not a huge fan of the top hat that you typically see on the 1680 (but that wouldnt stop me from wearing one ).
    Never seen a 1680 set up like that before...that's going on the list.

Very, Very Cool!

Love the domed acryllic! Not a huge fan of the top hat that you typically see on the 1680 (but that wouldnt stop me from wearing one ).
    Never seen a 1680 set up like that before...that's going on the list.
    Yeah, I love the top hat but I might do a tropic 19 on the next service. Just don't know if I want to have that configuration for ~5 years...

MkII Vantage
    MkII LRRP
    MkII Kingston
    MkII Nassau big crown
    MkII Nassau 369
    OWC Blue Snowflake A10
    Rolex Sea-Dweller 16660
    Rolex GMT-II 116710
    Seiko Black Samurai
    Tag Heuer 4000 Auto

I have never owned a top hat watch but have always loved the look of them in the pix. Like a high dome, its something you just dont see everyday. I guess both will set a watch apart from the modern set.
    When people notice my Kingston, the crystal is something that usually comes up. Mostly, this is from non-watch peeps as I just dont know any people that are as infected with this disease as we are. I tend to go with if a non-watch person takes notice of something, its usually a good thing and worth noting. I think the same would happen with a top hat crystal as well.

Oh, and I hear you on the Sub being the watch everybody buys that wants to feel important BUT the big difference is the bezel of the GMT. The Pepsi has always set it apart.

The first real watch I bought when I got my first real job was a Rolex GMT 16710. I spent everything I had to buy is used and I simply adored the thing. I remember I received it just a day before I left to go run with the bulls in Spain. An epic watch for an epic trip. I wore it solid for at 5 years until I started to get into more watches and when it came time to buy I house, I sold it for some extra down payment. Wow, long story short (sorry about the misty eyed retelling of my lost love) people always seemed to notice the GMT...and like it. Not like you get with a Sub. The GMT is just different and enough to be cooler then the Sub. Like you arent trying that hard even though its a bit louder of a watch overall. I dont think its the cyclops that people will notice, its the bezel!
    Last edited by 66Cooper; October 24th, 2012 at 05:42.
    JCW1980 likes this.

Re: Project GMT: Name discussion

I took a self-imposed intervention break from watch fanaticism after placing my general order for a Kingston last year ... apparently Project Key West GMT has progressed nicely (glad to see that name was used, too).

I'm confused as to plank orders and wait list orders. Was plank owners ordering opened and closed in January? I don't see an "orderding" thread in the forum (was watching from time to time this year).... Help needed in catching up (outside this thread, which will take hours to read). Links to read further appreciated.
    Hidden Content

MK II Kingston "Bond"; Key West "Pussy Galore"; Nassau 3-6-9; Graywater GMT. O&W M4, M5. Orient EV09, ER1S (2010 STI Series I). Seikos: SKXA47K (2005), 7T32-6M59 (1991), H558-5009 (1985), 7A48-7000 (my precious! 1985), 7009-4040 (1980?), 6117-6410 (1974). Steinhart Ocean Black DLC MilSub mod. Tissot TXL Digital7.

Page 19 of 296 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Thread Information