Project GMT: Design thread - Page 2
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 2 of 296 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Name discussion

66Cooper's pic of the watch is the perfect configuration for me. Nothing more, nothing less. Must add that -imho- a 'roulette wheel' needs a cyclops as well! Those two go together as peas and carrots (is it a proper saying or just a Forrest Gump phrase?).

About a proud sapphire: does it go well with the cyclop? Are there pics of that combination?

Menno
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Quote Originally Posted by Thieuster View Post
    About a proud sapphire: does it go well with the cyclop?
    Menno, IIRC a cyclops wasn’t going to be an option. Aside from that, it would only be possible on a flat sapphire, not a domed one. Whether the saphhire is proud – i.e. elevated at the side – or not shouldn’t have anything to do with it.

I could be totally wrong, of course.
    Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by Watchamacallit View Post
    Menno, IIRC a cyclops wasn’t going to be an option. Aside from that, it would only be possible on a flat sapphire, not a domed one. Whether the saphhire is proud – i.e. elevated at the side – or not shouldn’t have anything to do with it.

Yeah you're right about the non-cyclops part of the design. I forgot about that - must be the great combination of the red date and cyclops combined

Menno

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

Anything goes in a design thread, right? All ideas on the table.

I'd love something like this:

Name:  R.jpg
Views: 3056
Size:  100.9 KB

I've posted this picture before. It's an ultra rare version of the Rolex GMT.

The watch was 38mm, with 18k yellow gold, a white dial and a brown acrylic bezel. It was manufactured in 1958 and sold in Italy.

Cheers,
    Packleader
    STEELINOX, serdal23 and Dzunz001 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Packleader View Post
    Anything goes in a design thread, right? All ideas on the table.

I'd love something like this:

I've posted this picture before. It's an ultra rare version of the Rolex GMT.

The watch was 38mm, with 18k yellow gold, a white dial and a brown acrylic bezel. It was manufactured in 1958 and sold in Italy.

Cheers,
    Packleader
    My b'year watch, but that's about it, tbh. But you're right: anything goes, design wise at this stage.

Menno
    Last edited by Thieuster; September 5th, 2012 at 22:44.

I know it's crazy, but I'd love to get a factory roulette destro version. As a backup I could swap in one of my destro 28xx date dials, but getting destro from the factory would be sweet.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Thieuster View Post
    My b'year watch, but that's about it, tbh. But you're right: anything goes, design wise at this stage.

Menno
    Menno:

We buy the same watches - including the TR-1000, like the same kinds of cars, and now I find out we're born in the same year. Lt me know when this starts getting a little creepy....

And yes, anthing goes. BTW, while I wasn't originally on board with this, the idea of a chocolate brown tropical dial with gilt lettering is - admittedly - intriguing.
    Cpotters

The Line-up:

Tudor 7928, Bunch of beat-up old Rolexes, MKII Custom Stingray 50, MKII LRRP, MKII TR-1000, MKII Kingston, Benrus Type I, Benrus Ultra-deep Super-compressor plus other super-Cs, 60's Zodiac Seawolfand Super Seawolf, Breitling Chronomat, ...

and lots of other vintage stuff.Hidden Content

My take on this:

Case: Same case as Kingston/Nassau (already decided)
    Crown: Should be smaller than the 8mm/7mm crowns used on the Kingston/Nassau, perhaps 4mm - 5mm diameter?
    Dial color: Glossy black dial with Gilt (gold) lettering
    Dial colors: Black and maybe silver (white) as option
    Dial detail: I prefer a chapter ring for the minutes, but even without a chapter ring as Bill noticed, the hour plots are moved closer to the center of the dial to accommodate the head of the 24 hour hand
    24 hour hand: Small arrow head (all non-crown guard GMT-Masters -- 6452 and early 1675 non crown guards -- had the mini 24 hour hand)
    Bezel Insert: sapphire insert ok, but aluminum insert ok as well
    Bezel Insert colors: Pepsi for sure; All blue insert would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Watchamacallit View Post

Love the earlier pictures posted by 66cooper and now understand the original point about the marker location.

Regarding the cyclops, I don't recall it having been taken off the table...aren't there quite a few people involved that feel the cyclops is intrinsic to the design?

Thanks

Not sure if the sapphire bezel insert is an option but this would really make it great.

Small GMT hand, roulette date wheel, hour plots closer to the center, yes to cyclops if possible.

Was thinking black dial but maybe a white dial would look great.

Page 2 of 296 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread Information