Project GMT: Design thread - Page 22
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 22 of 296 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 72 122 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

Last I heard, he was saying aluminum insert with no lume. At the time, he said the sapphire bezel was too tricky or expensive or something along those lines.

I owned one of Ken Sato's Comex homage watches a few years back. It was the one that combined just about every "cool" aspect from Rolex's history. A bit mu h for most but it was pretty cool. Let it go to fund another watch...as is the way. I never saw his GMT's though. REally cool. Not a huge fan of the brilliant white dial though. Would look nicer with a slight cream coloring to it or at least some contrast with the lume.

That is going to be the hardest part about this project. Choosing between what color dial!

Here's a couple of photos of a 6542 that just came up for sale.....it has some very cool details.
    Attached Images Attached Images

eganwh, cpotters, JCW1980 and 3 others like this.
    CJB
    Rolex Submariner non-date 14060
    Rolex GMT Pepsi 16700
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 145.022
    Heuer Monaco CAW211P

I'm not a fan of a cyclops; however, the magnification on those watches are great! Perfect for the KW.

I am a big fan of lumed sapphire bezels like the one on my Paradive. My eyes are immediately drawn to the bezel when I look at the watch; which is good because I use the bezel for time. But I don't want one on the KW. In my opinion it would overshadow the entire piece. I want the center of the dial to be the main focal point on the KW so that my eyes see the entire head. Does that make sense or am I rambling in tongues?

gman

Quote Originally Posted by POR901 View Post
    Here's a couple of photos of a 6542 that just came up for sale.....it has some very cool details.
    OK! What the h#@% is THAT! I have never seen or heard of that bezel before, but LOVE the way that looks. I'm not saying that's for the KW, but I have to ask: is that a legitimate R*L*X bezel, or some fantasy creation??? Anybody?
    Cpotters

The Line-up:

Tudor 7928, Bunch of beat-up old Rolexes, MKII Custom Stingray 50, MKII LRRP, MKII TR-1000, MKII Kingston, Benrus Type I, Benrus Ultra-deep Super-compressor plus other super-Cs, 60's Zodiac Seawolfand Super Seawolf, Breitling Chronomat, ...

and lots of other vintage stuff.Hidden Content

Bakelite YO!

HAR likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cpotters View Post
    OK! What the h#@% is THAT! I have never seen or heard of that bezel before, but LOVE the way that looks. I'm not saying that's for the KW, but I have to ask: is that a legitimate R*L*X bezel, or some fantasy creation??? Anybody?
    That is just a standard 6542 bakelite bezel that has had some wear and tear. I would say that the discoloration that makes up that strange whitish ring is due from water damage.

All I know is that these 6542's were damn amazing watches. Then and now! I mean, they only just started luming bezel in recent years. Can you imagine how unbelievably cool this would have been back in the day?

I have been pretty vocal from the start that I don't care about the bezel material or the lume. The important things as far as I am concerned is getting the font and the colors right. It needs to be as accurate as the Kingston and Nassau are to the watches that inspired them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    STEELINOX likes this.
    MkII Vantage
    MkII LRRP
    MkII Kingston
    MkII Project GMT plank preorder
    MkII Nassau big crown
    MkII Nassau 369
    MkII Hawkinge 48 (preorder)
    MkII Project 300 (preorder)
    OWC Blue Snowflake A10
    Panerai PAM 359 - 1950 3 Days
    Rolex Submariner 1680 MkVI Red
    Rolex Sea-Dweller 16660
    Rolex GMT-II 116710
    Citizen Titanium Eco-Zilla
    Seiko Black Samurai
    Tag Heuer 4000 Auto
    Nav B-Uhr Vintage Automatic

If anyone wants to get out of their slot, please let me know. Money was tight when the pre-order opened and i'm hoping to get in on this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    ...The important things as far as I am concerned is getting the font and the colors right. It needs to be as accurate as the Kingston and Nassau are to the watches that inspired them.
    +1

That bakelite does look sweet, and the idea of a modernized sapphire version that's been thown around throughout this design process would doubtless look very cool, but I'm not sure I'd even prefer it over an aluminum insert similar to the Kingston's. Take into account the increased development time and expense that the sapphire insert would add to the process, and it gets me leaning toward the aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by JCW1980 View Post
    +1

That bakelite does look sweet, and the idea of a modernized sapphire version that's been thown around throughout this design process would doubtless look very cool, but I'm not sure I'd even prefer it over an aluminum insert similar to the Kingston's. Take into account the increased development time and expense that the sapphire insert would add to the process, and it gets me leaning toward the aluminum.
    I'm feeling the opposite way. I think a sapphire bezel would be a perfect fit for MKII's vision of being a new iteration of a classic tool, and I'd be willing to wait a little longer and pay a little more for it. But, if the decision is for aluminum, it certainly won't drive me away (though I hope it comes with multiple aluminum bezel options, in that case).
    JCW1980 likes this.

Page 22 of 296 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 72 122 ... LastLast

Thread Information