Project GMT: Design thread - Page 25
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 25 of 296 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 75 125 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

How about some brown sugar GMT love?
    Attachment 1018136
    cpotters, JFingers and pjw like this.
    Hidden Content
    Get Gilt now, Ask me how.
    Blue Lume is for deviants. -Winston Churchill

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by BigHaole View Post
    I'm feeling the opposite way. I think a sapphire bezel would be a perfect fit for MKII's vision of being a new iteration of a classic tool, and I'd be willing to wait a little longer and pay a little more for it. But, if the decision is for aluminum, it certainly won't drive me away (though I hope it comes with multiple aluminum bezel options, in that case).
    Quote Originally Posted by curt941 View Post
    I don't understand why people think it would take a long time to develop. Tons of micro brands have watches with sapphire bezels, Helson, Raven, Zenton, Ocean7 and some more i'm sure.

Ocean7 even has a GMT with a bubbled sapphire insert that looks a lot like the pan-am gmt bakelite bezel
    I thought I should take the time to answer the issue raised.

There are several important challenges and differences between what has been done and what we would like to do with a sapphire insert on the Project GMT:

* There is an important and crucial difference between the doing a flat sapphire insert and a sloped sapphire insert.
    * There is also a crucial difference in that we are the first company to offer a lumed sloped insert. The Steinhart version is sapphire but not lumed. A lumed and sloped insert is very difficult to manufacture.
    * There is also a very big difference in designing a bezel with a bezel insert that is fully supported by the bezel (like in all of the examples cited) and one that is only partially supported by the bezel. As you could see on the Bakelite version the bezel insert is only partially supported by the bezel itself. This can lead to wear on the underside and also increases the possibility of water damage with age. To keep the look we would have to do a bezel that is only partially supporting the insert.
    * I have a construction in mind but it is not going to be easy and it requires a lot of manual assembly. So it won't be just "a little more expensive" for me to do it. The luminous material itself is going to cost more than 25% of what other companies spent on the their entire cases and it doesn't include the labor or application to the sapphire section.

And on top of all that I don't want to run into problems with deliveries like we did with the Kingston and the Kingston didn't have nearly as complicated a construction as a sapphire bezel would entail.
    Last edited by Yao; March 22nd, 2013 at 18:02.
    STEELINOX, MHe225, POR901 and 4 others like this.

Thanks for explaning this. I appriciate that.

Please, take your time to figure out what will work or not. Over the years, you always came up with amazing features.

Just my vote of confidence.

have a great weekend.

Menno
    cpotters likes this.
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Thank You, Bill.

I seem to recall that you had explained this previously, but it is nice to see all of the issues listed in one place again, with a thorough explanation.

-Best-

I read Bill's reply today re: the sapphire bezel insert and all I wanted to take away was "... I have a construction in mind..." Sapphire bezel insert = cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post

There are several important challenges and differences between what has been done and what we would like to do with a sapphire insert on the Project GMT:

* There is an important and crucial difference between the doing a flat sapphire insert and a sloped sapphire insert.
    * There is also a crucial difference in that we are the first company to offer a lumed sloped insert. The Steinhart version is sapphire but not lumed. A lumed and sloped insert is very difficult to manufacture.
    * There is also a very big difference in designing a bezel with a bezel insert that is fully supported by the bezel (like in all of the examples cited) and one that is only partially supported by the bezel. As you could see on the Bakelite version the bezel insert is only partially supported by the bezel itself. This can lead to wear on the underside and also increases the possibility of water damage with age. To keep the look we would have to do a bezel that is only partially supporting the insert.
    * I have a construction in mind but it is not going to be easy and it requires a lot of manual assembly. So it won't be just "a little more expensive" for me to do it. The luminous material itself is going to cost more than 25% of what other companies spent on the their entire cases and it doesn't include the labor or application to the sapphire section.

And on top of all that I don't want to run into problems with deliveries like we did with the Kingston and the Kingston didn't have nearly as complicated a construction as a sapphire bezel would entail.
    I am still fine with the aluminum you suggested two years ago at the NYC GTG.

As I have stated before, font and color accuracy are the paramount concerns for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Chromejob, POR901 and White Tuna like this.
    MkII Vantage
    MkII LRRP
    MkII Kingston
    MkII Project GMT plank preorder
    MkII Nassau big crown
    MkII Nassau 369
    MkII Hawkinge 48 (preorder)
    MkII Project 300 (preorder)
    OWC Blue Snowflake A10
    Panerai PAM 359 - 1950 3 Days
    Rolex Submariner 1680 MkVI Red
    Rolex Sea-Dweller 16660
    Rolex GMT-II 116710
    Citizen Titanium Eco-Zilla
    Seiko Black Samurai
    Tag Heuer 4000 Auto
    Nav B-Uhr Vintage Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    I am still fine with the aluminum you suggested two years ago at the NYC GTG.

As I have stated before, font and color accuracy are the paramount concerns for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    I agree with TheDude. I REALLY love the aluminum bezel on the Kingston so I would not have a problem with it on any MKII watch. As usual he is spot on about the color and the font as well.
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Get Gilt now, Ask me how.
    Blue Lume is for deviants. -Winston Churchill

Bill, I understand what you're saying about the semi-supported bezel insert.

You end up with a worn bezel like this one:

Attachment 1018872

What if you had a very thin piece of metal bonded to the underside of the insert post luming, this would serve to protect the paint on the bottom of the insert.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post

White Tuna likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by curt941 View Post
    Bill, I understand what you're saying about the semi-supported bezel insert.

You end up with a worn bezel like this one:

Attachment 1018872

What if you had a very thin piece of metal bonded to the underside of the insert post luming, this would serve to protect the paint on the bottom of the insert.

And what if that thin piece of metal also did double duty as an "aperture" for the luminous material that is applied directly to the main bezel ring...

[The main bezel ring gets luminous paint applied directly to corresponding marker points...]

The main bezel ring fully supports the insert assy and protects it too from lateral impacts...

The thin piece of metal could be wire cut [edm] and windows for the markers cut during the same process, and later anodized, half red and half blue?

Its then glued to the main bezel then on top of that the sapphire is UV glued to the thin piece of metal as well as opposite the leading edge [near coin edge] of the main bezel?

Nylon NATION Co-Conspirator
    Lug Hole Loyalist
    Chamfer Line Inspector

This is a good idea, not sure if applicable, but a good idea never the less.
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.

Page 25 of 296 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 75 125 ... LastLast

Thread Information