Project GMT: Design thread - Page 28
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 28 of 296 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 78 128 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

No "vintage" lume for the Key West please...just white...or green depending on options. I know the lume (one white, one green) on my Kingstons will never age/discolor but I don't need them to.

Adding the look of "wear" to a watch/dial/hands - some like it, some don't - but not on these new Mk II's please.

I don't have a problem with lume that has been colored slightly to a more creamy -off white color. What I do have a problem with are watches that have been taken apart and the cases put in a coffee can full of nuts, bolts coins, etc.. and then shaken vigorously until the case looks like it's a hundred years old, baking a dial in the oven to achieve a "tropical" look, aging hands in salt water, dipping inserts in bleach etc.. all these are techniques that various homage modders employ to artificially age a watch. I also suspect that some of the sellers of vintage Rolex parts also engage in some of these same tactics from time to time. A tropic 1680 Sub dial will bring 2-3X the price of a similar series black dial. Same with inserts. Sort of funny, several years ago, a faded insert wasn't worth scrap, as no one wanted them, but now, everyone wants their 1665 SeaDweller to look as though it was worn by a commercial diver for 30 years or their 1675 GMT look like it was marooned on a beach in the South Pacific for several decades when in fact they probably either sat in a safe, or was worn to work every day by a banker, doctor or insurance salesman!! Of course if in fact it was worn to work every day, it would have a nice gentle aged patina, not look like it was in a train wreck.

Here is my 16750 it's a 1986 model, and the patina is all from wear. It has a beautiful aged bezel insert, and the band has some stretch, but it's all natural.

Attachment 1024380
    Last edited by Arthur; March 27th, 2013 at 06:21.
    Divers - Pre Sub Doxa 300m Dive Watch - Doxa Sub 300T Professional (US Divers) - Ocean7 LM-7 Ploprof - Ocean7 LM-7 Plorof Pro Titanium -Rolex 1665 SD-Rolex 1680 -Rolex 16610 Submariner - MKII Stingray 60 - MKII Kingston Gilt/non date - MKII Kingston Gilt/Date - Orthos 300 Commander
    Others- MKII Key West GMT(on the way) - Rolex GMT 16750 - IWC Calatrava - Ocean7 LM-5 GMT- Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde - Longines Hour Angle Lindberg - Tudor "Big Block" Chrono

Myla's Favorite's Doxa Sub 200 Coralline, Omega Seamaster 120 - Rolex Datejust 18k/SS - Chronosport Panther - Maurice Lacroix - Omega 14k Mesh - Tag Heuer TT Aquaracer

Not white balanced properly but you get the idea... I will try to post a better picture for comparison soon.

Attachment 1024402

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    White Tuna likes this.
    MkII Vantage
    MkII LRRP
    MkII Kingston
    MkII Project GMT plank preorder
    MkII Nassau big crown
    MkII Nassau 369
    MkII Hawkinge 48 (preorder)
    MkII Project 300 (preorder)
    OWC Blue Snowflake A10
    Panerai PAM 359 - 1950 3 Days
    Rolex Submariner 1680 MkVI Red
    Rolex Sea-Dweller 16660
    Rolex GMT-II 116710
    Citizen Titanium Eco-Zilla
    Seiko Black Samurai
    Tag Heuer 4000 Auto
    Nav B-Uhr Vintage Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by rmasso View Post
    Attachment 1024170
    This is the Seiko i was talking about in my earlier post.
    Not my photo but i own this Seiko.
    Note the color of the lume. That sold me on it.

The photo below is mine. Depending on the lighting the color can look a bit different but still in that beige/cream color range.
    Attachment 1024179
    Rich
    Nice. Yeah, this kind of thing seems to be dependent on the amount of ambient light. With mine the lume looks darker in dim light.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    STEELINOX and tmoris like this.
    MkII Vantage
    MkII LRRP
    MkII Kingston
    MkII Nassau big crown
    MkII Nassau 369
    OWC Blue Snowflake A10
    Rolex Sea-Dweller 16660
    Rolex GMT-II 116710
    Seiko Black Samurai
    Tag Heuer 4000 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    ... You can see tons of them by doing a Google image search on "Panerai dirty dials"....
    Somehow I foresee this returning a deluge of ujod :p

Pics seem to be illustrating either a off-white,[1] cream color, or faded lemongrass. I'm okay with either, favoring cream. It's the overt GREEN or dirty ecru that put me off. Dingy or moldy looking, no thanks. Make sense?

[1] You used to see the color "winter white" regularly.
    Last edited by Chromejob; March 27th, 2013 at 07:24.
    Hidden Content

MK II Kingston "Bond"; Key West "Pussy Galore"; Nassau 3-6-9; Graywater GMT. O&W M4, M5. Orient EV09, ER1S (2010 STI Series I). Seikos: SKXA47K (2005), 7T32-6M59 (1991), H558-5009 (1985), 7A48-7000 (my precious! 1985), 7009-4040 (1980?), 6117-6410 (1974). Steinhart Ocean Black DLC MilSub mod. Tissot TXL Digital7.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I don't have a problem with lume that has been colored slightly to a more creamy -off white color. What I do have a problem with are watches that have been taken apart and the cases put in a coffee can full of nuts, bolts coins, etc.. and then shaken vigorously until the case looks like it's a hundred years old, baking a dial in the oven to achieve a "tropical" look, aging hands in salt water, dipping inserts in bleach etc.. all these are techniques that various homage modders employ to artificially age a watch. I also suspect that some of the sellers of vintage Rolex parts also engage in some of these same tactics from time to time. A tropic 1680 Sub dial will bring 2-3X the price of a similar series black dial. Same with inserts. Sort of funny, several years ago, a faded insert wasn't worth scrap, as no one wanted them, but now, everyone wants their 1665 SeaDweller to look as though it was worn by a commercial diver for 30 years or their 1675 GMT look like it was marooned on a beach in the South Pacific for several decades when in fact they probably either sat in a safe, or was worn to work every day by a banker, doctor or insurance salesman!! Of course if in fact it was worn to work every day, it would have a nice gentle aged patina, not look like it was in a train wreck.

Here is my 16750 it's a 1986 model, and the patina is all from wear. It has a beautiful aged bezel insert, and the band has some stretch, but it's all natural.

Attachment 1024380
    Yes! That's a gorgeous tritium dial. Exactly what it should look like from the 80s. Unfortunately, modern luminova dials will never discolor that way. That's very similar to the Panerai shade however...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    MkII Vantage
    MkII LRRP
    MkII Kingston
    MkII Nassau big crown
    MkII Nassau 369
    OWC Blue Snowflake A10
    Rolex Sea-Dweller 16660
    Rolex GMT-II 116710
    Seiko Black Samurai
    Tag Heuer 4000 Auto

that pam/coffee pic is just great, I think this colour should definitely be in for a vote/poll later on when deciding the final features/tunings, should it not win right out here :)

Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    that pam/coffee pic is just great, I think this colour should definitely be in for a vote/poll later on when deciding the final features/tunings, should it not win right out here :)
    +1

I would be up for a lume color like this as an option. The slight cream tint on that fiddy is super attractive (IMHO).

Quote Originally Posted by JCW1980 View Post
    +1

I would be up for a lume color like this as an option. The slight cream tint on that fiddy is super attractive (IMHO).
    I agree that the cream lume on the Pam is awesome, but that's against a black dial (or is that slightly darker black?). How will it look against the white dial that many of us are planning on getting?

Which brings me back to my hope that there will be a generally available version of the Key West that is named the "Havana" and that has a dark black dial and the cream lume (and root beer bezel). That would be the perfect bookend to this project! (and would get me buying two watches, much to Mrs. BigHaole's chagrin)

Quote Originally Posted by BigHaole View Post
    I agree that the cream lume on the Pam is awesome, but that's against a black dial (or is that slightly darker black?). How will it look against the white dial that many of us are planning on getting?

Which brings me back to my hope that there will be a generally available version of the Key West that is named the "Havana" and that has a dark black dial and the cream lume (and root beer bezel). That would be the perfect bookend to this project! (and would get me buying two watches, much to Mrs. BigHaole's chagrin)
    I got this from the roro on the RolexForums:
    Name:  ExplorerII.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  48.9 KB
    Hidden Content
    Get Gilt now, Ask me how.
    Blue Lume is for deviants. -Winston Churchill

Page 28 of 296 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 78 128 ... LastLast

Thread Information