Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 3 of 296 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Name discussion

+ 1 on:
    Small GMT hand
    Roulette date wheel
    No crown guard

I did not realize the hour marker location issue. Wow! ` This would be a great way to distinguish the Key West GMT. Thanks, 66Cooper, for pointing it out.

Darwin likes this.

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

Quote Originally Posted by Reintitan View Post
    My take on this:

Case: Same case as Kingston/Nassau (already decided)
    Crown: Should be smaller than the 8mm/7mm crowns used on the Kingston/Nassau, perhaps 4mm - 5mm diameter?
    Dial color: Glossy black dial with Gilt (gold) lettering
    Dial colors: Black and maybe silver (white) as option
    Dial detail: I prefer a chapter ring for the minutes, but even without a chapter ring as Bill noticed, the hour plots are moved closer to the center of the dial to accommodate the head of the 24 hour hand
    24 hour hand: Small arrow head (all non-crown guard GMT-Masters -- 6452 and early 1675 non crown guards -- had the mini 24 hour hand)
    Bezel Insert: sapphire insert ok, but aluminum insert ok as well
    Bezel Insert colors: Pepsi for sure; All blue insert would be awesome
    Well that's about it, I think. There's one thing: The crown on this watch has a vital function : it sets the GMT hand, so it has to be substantial making it easier to operate. For me, that rules out everything smaller than 6mm.

About the lumen: I prefer C3. It has a vintage look that fits the overall presence of the watch.

Menno

EDIT: I've been wearing my LRRP for a few days this week. Looking at 66Cooper's picture, I'm pretty sure that the Key West is easier to read than the LRRP's dial.

M.
    Last edited by Thieuster; September 6th, 2012 at 09:51.
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Quote Originally Posted by Thieuster View Post
    Well that's about it, I think. There's one thing: The crown on this watch has a vital function : it sets the GMT hand, so it has to be substantial making it easier to operate. For me, that rules out everything smaller than 6mm.

About the lumen: I prefer C3. It has a vintage look that fits the overall presence of the watch.

Menno

EDIT: I've been wearing my LRRP for a few days this week. Looking at 66Cooper's picture, I'm pretty sure that the Key West is easier to read than the LRRP's dial.

M.
    I agree with Menno,
    A substantial crown for easier operation.
    That's my 2 cents worth.
    Last edited by TK792; September 6th, 2012 at 16:21.

This is a mockup that Malyel did:

Here:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f325/pr...ml#post5120007

I really love it and would like to see a root beer dialed version at some point. There are just sooooo many black dialed watches.

I also would prefer a larger crown and C3 lume. I think the date wheels have already been ordered. I really am not going to fight for a cyclops....I think that ship has sailed. Until I received my Kingston I was a huge proponent of the sapphire bezel insert but I love my Kingston bezel so I am not that concerned about it either way.

BTW Bill, when you make the Root Beer dialed one you can call it the Havana.

Quote Originally Posted by White Tuna View Post

Here:

I really love it and would like to see a root beer dialed version at some point. There are just sooooo many black dialed watches.

I also would prefer a larger crown and C3 lume. I think the date wheels have already been ordered. I really am not going to fight for a cyclops....I think that ship has sailed. Until I received my Kingston I was a huge proponent of the sapphire bezel insert but I love my Kingston bezel so I am not that concerned about it either way.

a big +1 to that post.

Best wishes,
    Packleader

This looks awesome. Big +2 for the Root Beer!

By the way Bill, is it possible for you to offer the alternate color dial as an option instead of having owners having to figure their brains out :)
    Last edited by pcheninhk; September 6th, 2012 at 23:24.

HJR

+3

Quote Originally Posted by White Tuna View Post

Here:

^ 4's in!
    Haves: Key West | U-2 | Kingston | 3572 | Vantage
    Dreams:
    X-33 SE | Speedyorite | BLNR | Weltzeit | DC86

I would pay a premium for a Root Beer dial.

Yao

For the time being I would suggest just pretending the watch has only two colors, black and white. By which I mean that we should focus getting the elements and shape correct. The colors can be decided later. However I would say that a black dial and a white dial will be a given. Anything more than that we will have to decide later. I am weary of giving people "kits" that they can supposedly install themselves as it always comes back to me with either A) a request to fix something that is busted or for B) "tutorials" which leads back to scenario "A" except now I am responsible for creating the problem in the first place. So if a third color becomes an option it will have to mean a surcharge for those customers that want it but the pricing for everyone else that is happy with a black or white dial will have to stay the same (i.e. we can't amortize the cost of a brown dial amongst everyone).

So get your black turtleneck out and pretend you are an architect and can only see in black and white. :D
    STEELINOX and gman54 like this.

Page 3 of 296 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread Information