Project GMT: Design thread - Page 33
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 33 of 296 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 83 133 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Huh, you're right. It's a little off but you can't tell from this pic I just snapped. Off by the same amount on my SeaDweller too.

Attachment 1035831

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Let me tell you a funny story behind my question. My wife owns and wears a Tudor midsize Sub (75090) And the Tudor's hands are aligned like the one on the Sub you showed us. She found that out, waiting for a plane to take her to Amsterdam. And she asked me if my Sub had the same alignment. (Yes, it has). A few weeks later, she entered a board room of a large company in Manhattan to talk about a project. Several men in the room were wearing Subs and they were discussing 'attention to detail' and 'we never miss a detail'. She had her own thoughts about that and asked them about the alignment of their Rolex' hands... None of the men had noticed Rolex' eye for detail - and 7 men were quite shocked to hear this from a Rolex wearing female consultant (she was wearing her vintage Precision at that time).

Back on topic: I think that a slightly larger GMT triangle will enhance versatility of the watch: after all, it's the GMT function that sets the watch apart from other watches. I've said before: I own a LRRP and sometimes it's not an easy to read watch! You have to look closely at the dial and the markers to make sure what the GMT time is, especially when the capstone bezel is used for a third timezone.

Menno
    rmasso likes this.
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Quote Originally Posted by Thieuster View Post
    Let me tell you a funny story behind my question. My wife owns and wears a Tudor midsize Sub (75090) And the Tudor's hands are aligned like the one on the Sub you showed us. She found that out, waiting for a plane to take her to Amsterdam. And she asked me if my Sub had the same alignment. (Yes, it has). A few weeks later, she entered a board room of a large company in Manhattan to talk about a project. Several men in the room were wearing Subs and they were discussing 'attention to detail' and 'we never miss a detail'. She had her own thoughts about that and asked them about the alignment of their Rolex' hands... None of the men had noticed Rolex' eye for detail - and 7 men were quite shocked to hear this from a Rolex wearing female consultant (she was wearing her vintage Precision at that time).

Menno
    Menno, I love this story, stuff like that never seems to happen to me...
    Rich

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by BigHaole View Post
    Have we settled on the tiny 24-hour hand? I'd really like to see something between the over-sized 24-hour triangle on a modern GMT and the tiny one on the classic model.
    Sounds like something in between is what is being called for.?.?

I personally like the old style tiny hand, but would be o.k. with slightly larger. I do think we should move away from the larger hand that the lrrp features. There are many watches with a similar look and I'd like this to be different if not unique (sorta hard for an homage to be unique I know)

As for lume, bw9g is awesome. I'd prefer to avoid c3...I live the glow but don't like the green tint in the sunlight that it often has. Natural for a white dial seems like a good choice

Quote Originally Posted by rmasso View Post
    Menno, I love this story, stuff like that never seems to happen to me...
    Rich
    Me neighter. In fact, I never meet people 'in the wild' who are interested in watches! But then, I've never enter the boardroom of a (large Manhattan based) company. The combination of being female, eloquent and being interested in watches is a source of more funny watch related stories I can tell you.

@Bill: yes, perhaps you're right about the size of the triangle. But as often, pics tell us more. And perhaps you can come up with a suggestion like you did with the dial mock ups back in September. You can include the different lumen colors, the altered hand lenghts and the triangle. It's important that the size of the triangle matches with the size of the 'dots' I think. I've suggested a larger triangle, but when it's 'clashing' with the size of the dots, I think your should go for a more obvious (?) design.

Menno

(EDIT: not sure about the phrase 'Me Neighter' at the beginning of this reaction - I'm sure you'll be able to understand what I mean. I'm open for suggestions)

M.
    Last edited by Thieuster; April 5th, 2013 at 22:37.
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Me neighter. In fact, I never meet people 'in the wild' who are interested in watches! But then, I've never enter the boardroom of a (large Manhattan based) company. The combination of being female, eloquent and being interested in watches is a source of more funny watch related stories I can tell you.
    Menno
    M.
    This couldn't be truer for me as well. My wife runs into watch people or people wearing Rolexes and Subs and other high end watches and comes home to tell me about it. The guys where I work don't seem to wear watches and if they do they are not necessarily high end. Most of them rely on their phones for the time. Everyone at work knows I am a watch nut though so when they run into stories on the web or something on TV, they always share with me. But I never have the opportunity for such interactions either. Such is the life of some collectors I assume. And people are always amazed how much my wife knows about watches, probably because I can never stop talking about it, I've gotten better over the years though, but every now and then you see something new that you are after and the talking starts again...

Rich

Neither?
    Hidden Content
    Get Gilt now, Ask me how.
    Blue Lume is for deviants. -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by White Tuna View Post
    Neither?
    Yep, I think that's what Menno meant, interestingly I read it as neither and had to go double check when I read his edit below. Interesting how the brain just read what was meant. There was a study a few years ago about how one could read a word so long as the first and last letter were in their correct spots if the letters in between were jumbled up, the brain still recognized the word.

Yao

@Bill: yes, perhaps you're right about the size of the triangle. But as often, pics tell us more. And perhaps you can come up with a suggestion like you did with the dial mock ups back in September. You can include the different lumen colors, the altered hand lenghts and the triangle. It's important that the size of the triangle matches with the size of the 'dots' I think. I've suggested a larger triangle, but when it's 'clashing' with the size of the dots, I think your should go for a more obvious (?) design.

Menno

(EDIT: not sure about the phrase 'Me Neighter' at the beginning of this reaction - I'm sure you'll be able to understand what I mean. I'm open for suggestions)

M.
    Your quite right of course :D
    JFingers likes this.

I think that Bill refers to my question in posting #90 of this thread: I asked if it was possible to align the 'ball' at the end of the second hand with the 'cross' of the mercedes hand: making sure that the ball of the second hand is in the exact center of the mercedes 'ball' when it's on top of that hand. I suggested to make the second hand a tad longer.

Rolex hands are aligned very precisely, the Kingston's hands do not align the way I suggested in posting #90.

Menno
    Not sure I get you, but on cheaper watches I see the luminous ball of the sweep second hand extend just beyond the ball of the Mercedes hour hand so that in exact alignment they look like a snowman, stacked. Never paid attention to the counter balance end..... (Off to go watch my watches..)

Quote Originally Posted by BigHaole View Post
    Have we settled on the tiny 24-hour hand? I'd really like to see something between the over-sized 24-hour triangle on a modern GMT and the tiny one on the classic model.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    Sounds like something in between is what is being called for.?.?
    No. Please, no.

Looking at early models, you can see that the 24h triangle is sized to pass between the hour markers and the chapter ring (iirc). Monkey around with the triangle and you'll have to adjust those as well. Danger Will Robinson, danger....

I suspect that the right color and lume material will make an authentic small triangle quite visible. We have to test the design, I suppose. :confused:

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //
    Last edited by Chromejob; April 5th, 2013 at 23:36.
    Hidden Content

MK II Kingston "Bond"; Key West "Pussy Galore"; Nassau 3-6-9; Graywater GMT. O&W M4, M5. Orient EV09, ER1S (2010 STI Series I). Seikos: SKXA47K (2005), 7T32-6M59 (1991), H558-5009 (1985), 7A48-7000 (my precious! 1985), 7009-4040 (1980?), 6117-6410 (1974). Steinhart Ocean Black DLC MilSub mod. Tissot TXL Digital7.

Page 33 of 296 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 83 133 ... LastLast

Thread Information