Project GMT: Design thread - Page 35
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 35 of 296 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 85 135 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    the Project GMT cases will be going into mass production later this month. I signed off on the samples earlier this week. We will move the dial and insert design next.

For the hands I am going to take Menno's cue and work on the proportions that he mentioned. I believe that its just the minute hand that needs adjustment.

For the lume I would suggest as noted earlier as well:

* White dial: Natural or C3 lume
    * Black dial: BGW9
    Sounds good on the lume, Bill. It would be great to see what the natural or C3 looks like on the white dial.

Not crazy about coffee cream patina so hoping the natural looks okay! That said the coffee cream looks great on that Panerai watch - Richemont did a good job on that. Just not sure about that patina look for an Mk II that's all. Don't know how else to explain it - have edited this post too many times already...

Best, Ken
    Last edited by kkmark; April 7th, 2013 at 04:35.

Bill, wondering if it's possible to post pictures of the draft Key West dial with the various lume choices you outlined. Thanks, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    Sounds like something in between is what is being called for.?.?
    I prefer the mini-hand of the original 6542. A large arrow hand will throw off the look completely.
    STEELINOX and nuovorecord like this.

I thought I'd chime in here on the GMT hand. We all know that the Devil is in the details, and I confess that - while I hadn't noticed it initially, it is stunning to see the small GMT arrowhead riding squarely inside the minutes indicators as if its riding on rails. I also had not noticed the dot on the end of the second hand falling squarely in the center of the mercedes hour indicator.

these are exactly the kinds of details that separate Bill's watches from the rest. The smaller the detail, the more interesting the watch.
    Last edited by cpotters; April 7th, 2013 at 14:57.
    Cpotters

The Line-up:

Tudor 7928, Bunch of beat-up old Rolexes, MKII Custom Stingray 50, MKII LRRP, MKII TR-1000, MKII Kingston, Benrus Type I, Benrus Ultra-deep Super-compressor plus other super-Cs, 60's Zodiac Seawolfand Super Seawolf, Breitling Chronomat, ...

and lots of other vintage stuff.Hidden Content

Just as a q&d exercise, I took lume pics of the relationship of a sweep second hand pip to a 9 o'clock marker, and the ball of the hour hand. Note that the ball obscures the little "hat" (or "point" ...?) of the hour hand. At least I think it does -- at night.

I was showing my daughter (10 years old) this at bedtime tonight, lights out, BGW9 glowing bright (yes, it's a Kingston). While she and I watched the sweep second hand travel around the dial, and she uttered a few "Ooohhh's" watching it happen, she whispered, "Sometimes you're a really cool daddy." So there you are ... all the attention and exacting craftsmanship is a means to achieving really cool status with your offspring. Not something to take cavalierly.

I'd never noticed the eclipse of the arse end of the sweep seconds hand over the hour pip. Made a little macro video of it, quite cool actually. Sweet.

cpotters, JCW1980, tmoris and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Huh, you're right. It's a little off but you can't tell from this pic I just snapped. Off by the same amount on my SeaDweller too.

Attachment 1035831

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    I think my Kingston does that. I checked several times over the last few days and it looks like that to me.
    Hidden Content
    Get Gilt now, Ask me how.
    Blue Lume is for deviants. -Winston Churchill

I just checked my Kingston and the ball on the south end of the sweep hand doesn't center exactly over the Y in the Mercedes hand, it's a little shorter, only about half of the ball covers the Y. AFA I'm concerned, this is really "picking nits"!! I'm not going to stare at my watch to see if the hand passes precisely over the middle of the hour hand, and I don't think most others will either. Very close is plenty good for me!!
    STEELINOX and OmegaCosmicMan like this.
    Divers - Pre Sub Doxa 300m Dive Watch - Doxa Sub 300T Professional (US Divers) - Ocean7 LM-7 Ploprof - Ocean7 LM-7 Plorof Pro Titanium -Rolex 1665 SD-Rolex 1680 -Rolex 16610 Submariner - MKII Stingray 60 - MKII Kingston Gilt/non date - MKII Kingston Gilt/Date - Orthos 300 Commander
    Others- MKII Key West GMT(on the way) - Rolex GMT 16750 - IWC Calatrava - Ocean7 LM-5 GMT- Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde - Longines Hour Angle Lindberg - Tudor "Big Block" Chrono

Myla's Favorite's Doxa Sub 200 Coralline, Omega Seamaster 120 - Rolex Datejust 18k/SS - Chronosport Panther - Maurice Lacroix - Omega 14k Mesh - Tag Heuer TT Aquaracer

My Nassau's seconds hand counterweight aligns perfectly with the mercedes hand.
    My Collection
    Mk II Nassau Ref. 1001 #57 Red Triangle; Mk II Hawkinge Type 48 date; Smiths Everest PRS-25

Little somethin somethin to drool over and stoke the impatience.. Macro shots of the 6542 bezel (yeah yeah, I know the Key West will likely not have a bezel inlay...I just couldn't resist )
    cpotters and Chromejob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JCW1980 View Post
    Little somethin somethin to drool over and stoke the impatience.. Macro shots of the 6542 bezel (yeah yeah, I know the Key West will likely not have a bezel inlay...I just couldn't resist )
    If there were any way to make - using modern materials - a bezel that would last AND meet Bill's pretty rigid specification requirements for Quality Control, I would cheerfully pay an ADDITIONAL $200 on top of my price to obtain a bezel insert like this. Frankly, I'd probably buy 2 or 3, to insure the future of the watch (how many people wished they had bought 4 or 5 replacement inserts in 1956?). But that why I'm an enthusiast, and not a watch builder. Every decision in creating the design of these watches has to balance the respect for the original designs MkII pays homage to, the practicality of modernizing and updating these designs for today's wearer, and complying with Bill's rigorous obsession for quality. Invariably, somethings gotta give: in this case, i fear, it's that lovely syrupy look of the original bezels. C'est la Guerre.
    JCW1980 and White Tuna like this.
    Cpotters

The Line-up:

Tudor 7928, Bunch of beat-up old Rolexes, MKII Custom Stingray 50, MKII LRRP, MKII TR-1000, MKII Kingston, Benrus Type I, Benrus Ultra-deep Super-compressor plus other super-Cs, 60's Zodiac Seawolfand Super Seawolf, Breitling Chronomat, ...

and lots of other vintage stuff.Hidden Content

Page 35 of 296 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 85 135 ... LastLast

Thread Information