Project GMT: Design thread - Page 36
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 36 of 296 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 86 136 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

Quote Originally Posted by cpotters View Post
    If there were any way to make - using modern materials - a bezel that would last AND meet Bill's pretty rigid specification requirements for Quality Control, I would cheerfully pay an ADDITIONAL $200 on top of my price to obtain a bezel insert like this. Frankly, I'd probably buy 2 or 3, to insure the future of the watch (how many people wished they had bought 4 or 5 replacement inserts in 1956?). But that why I'm an enthusiast, and not a watch builder. Every decision in creating the design of these watches has to balance the respect for the original designs MkII pays homage to, the practicality of modernizing and updating these designs for today's wearer, and complying with Bill's rigorous obsession for quality. Invariably, somethings gotta give: in this case, i fear, it's that lovely syrupy look of the original bezels. C'est la Guerre.
    Agree with this to a point.

The price of such an insert is going to increase the price of this watch waaaay more than a few hundred bucks; more in the neighborhood of a thou$and is prolly more realistic.

And that "reality" is putting this into a jewelry class project !
    Last edited by STEELINOX; April 14th, 2013 at 15:58.
    Nylon NATION Co-Conspirator
    Lug Hole Loyalist
    Chamfer Line Inspector

An honest question : a sapphire bezel wouldn't approximate this?

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //
    Hidden Content

MK II Kingston "Bond"; Key West "Pussy Galore"; Nassau 3-6-9; Graywater GMT. O&W M4, M5. Orient EV09, ER1S (2010 STI Series I). Seikos: SKXA47K (2005), 7T32-6M59 (1991), H558-5009 (1985), 7A48-7000 (my precious! 1985), 7009-4040 (1980?), 6117-6410 (1974). Steinhart Ocean Black DLC MilSub mod. Tissot TXL Digital7.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromejob View Post
    An honest question : a sapphire bezel wouldn't approximate this?

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //
    Guessing that a sapphire ring of about .030 thick needs to be supported / protected by a bezel frame pretty much like a genuine ROLEX bezel ring that supports a ceramic insert...

That said, it's a pricey proposition executing a sapphire lens that prolly would be a $ part of the equation...

the KISS acronym weights towards the aluminum if ya want to keep this thing sane !
    Last edited by STEELINOX; April 14th, 2013 at 19:46.
    Lug Hole Loyalist
    Chamfer Line Inspector

I like the aluminum on my Kingston and would love to see a GMT blue/red aluminum done well.
    Hidden Content
    Get Gilt now, Ask me how.
    Blue Lume is for deviants. -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by STEELINOX View Post
    Agree with this to a point.

The price of such an insert is going to increase the price of this watch waaaay more than a few hundred bucks; more in the neighborhood of a thou$and is prolly more realistic.
    I never know how Bill's relationship with suppliers allows him pricing leverage, but my acrylic bezel cost came from looking at the ND Trading Replacement Inserts for the GMTs. They run $280 each, and I assumed that running a series of 100 or so would bring wholesale pricing down. Here are the inserts in both daylight and night time views:

Daylight: Insert- Rolex No Guard GMT Master 6542 for Rolex GMT 6542 Gold [Insert for Rolex GMT 6542 Gold] - $280.00 : ND Trading Enterprises ndtradingcorp.com, Vintage Rolex Dials and Watches
    Night time Insert Rolex No Guard GMT 6542 Glow in the Night [Insert 6542 Glow in the night] - $280.00 : ND Trading Enterprises ndtradingcorp.com, Vintage Rolex Dials and Watches

Of course, it's all about the QC, and that I cannot speak to. But I am the eternal optimist, so I think that anything is possible....
    Cpotters

The Line-up:

Tudor 7928, Bunch of beat-up old Rolexes, MKII Custom Stingray 50, MKII LRRP, MKII TR-1000, MKII Kingston, Benrus Type I, Benrus Ultra-deep Super-compressor plus other super-Cs, 60's Zodiac Seawolfand Super Seawolf, Breitling Chronomat, ...

and lots of other vintage stuff.Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by cpotters View Post
    I never know how Bill's relationship with suppliers allows him pricing leverage, but my acrylic bezel cost came from looking at the ND Trading Replacement Inserts for the GMTs. They run $280 each, and I assumed that running a series of 100 or so would bring wholesale pricing down. Here are the inserts in both daylight and night time views:

Daylight: Insert- Rolex No Guard GMT Master 6542 for Rolex GMT 6542 Gold [Insert for Rolex GMT 6542 Gold] - $280.00 : ND Trading Enterprises ndtradingcorp.com, Vintage Rolex Dials and Watches
    Night time Insert Rolex No Guard GMT 6542 Glow in the Night [Insert 6542 Glow in the night] - $280.00 : ND Trading Enterprises ndtradingcorp.com, Vintage Rolex Dials and Watches

Of course, it's all about the QC, and that I cannot speak to. But I am the eternal optimist, so I think that anything is possible....
    Interesting, however, in order for Bill to make this worth his Company's while, remember, it is a for profit operation, this will have some significant mark up well beyond what you pay for an acrylic now...
    Lug Hole Loyalist
    Chamfer Line Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by STEELINOX View Post
    Guessing that a sapphire ring of about .030 thick needs to be supported / protected by a bezel frame pretty much like a genuine ROLEX bezel ring that supports a ceramic insert...

That said, it's a pricey proposition executing a sapphire lens that prolly would be a $ part of the equation...

the KISS acronym weights towards the aluminum if ya want to keep this thing sane !
    Not to pit one maker against another, but Steinhart puts sapphire bezel inserts on their Ocean 44 and Triton watches iirc without too much inflation of the final price.
    Hidden Content

MK II Kingston "Bond"; Key West "Pussy Galore"; Nassau 3-6-9; Graywater GMT. O&W M4, M5. Orient EV09, ER1S (2010 STI Series I). Seikos: SKXA47K (2005), 7T32-6M59 (1991), H558-5009 (1985), 7A48-7000 (my precious! 1985), 7009-4040 (1980?), 6117-6410 (1974). Steinhart Ocean Black DLC MilSub mod. Tissot TXL Digital7.

Not to pit one maker against another, but Steinhart puts sapphire bezel inserts on their Ocean 44 and Triton watches iirc without too much inflation of the final price.
    Thats great for Steinhardt, except now we are talkin about "numbers produced," and by that I would bet they are punching our more models with that configuration.

MKII is planning a shorter run (for now) = higher cost !
    Lug Hole Loyalist
    Chamfer Line Inspector

Yao

As far as Steinhart is concerned for the watches you mentioned:

Ocean 44: The sapphire inlay is there but there is no lume. They drilled a hole through the bezel and inset a standard luminous "nail"

Triton: The watch has a standard steel or aluminum engraved inlay and they filed in the engraving with luminous paint.

In short both are a completely different animal from what we are trying to do.

If you don't need the GMT inlay to glow in the dark then the process is actually relatively easy and affordable.

I am trying to set up an appointment with one of my suppliers to talk about a luminous sapphire inlay. The biggest issue is attaching the luminous to the sapphire. The processes that have been attempted lead to air bubbles being trapped between or in the luminous layer. If I can I want to see how this looks and how "bad" it is. If the bubbles are small enough then may be its okay. If the bubbles are big and obvious then its obviously a no-go.

Anything is possible but the real issue is making it last the test of time and making is practical. Using acrylic has its own problems, mainly dimensional consistency and stability.
    STEELINOX, JCW1980, tmoris and 1 others like this.

Amazing to hear that you have taken this, this far. I'm excited to hear he outcome of your visit. I think it will help settle this once and for all. If it doesn't meet your standards, it does meet your standards. No one can argue with that!
    cpotters and JCW1980 like this.

Page 36 of 296 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 86 136 ... LastLast

Thread Information