Project GMT: Design thread - Page 37
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 37 of 296 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 87 137 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

That's what separates Bill from the rest in my mind.
    Another reason why I look forward to the Pilot watch project!
    Rich
    Yao likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 66Cooper View Post
    If it doesn't meet your standards, it does meet your standards. No one can argue with that!
    Exactly what 66coop says!
    Jussi

Bill, thanks for the insight! Being part of your projects is fascinating and I wonder whether we would enjoy the watches this much without all the foreplay! Personally, I love it :)
    Yao and rmasso like this.

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by 66Cooper View Post
    Amazing to hear that you have taken this, this far. I'm excited to hear he outcome of your visit. I think it will help settle this once and for all. If it doesn't meet your standards, it does meet your standards. No one can argue with that!
    I do seriously want to do this. I have been working on it off-and-on for at least 2 years trying to find the best possible construction. I am pretty sure what that construction has to be now but the potential price tag and certainly the scrap rate are very much cause for concern though. I just hope my supplier is coming to Basel this year.

In any event that's why we are pressing on with the aluminum version first.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    Bill, thanks for the insight! Being part of your projects is fascinating and I wonder whether we would enjoy the watches this much without all the foreplay! Personally, I love it :)

I have never regretted foreplay...
    Hidden Content Steve

Waiting Lounge: none

Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    I think that is part of being a collector of something, the hunt (or foreplay as you call it). Think of how many times you have sought after a grail watch, then you get it, then what, its off to the next hunt. I have at least half a dozen or so watches that at one time or another were a holy grail watch, but i continue to collect and buy others and the grail watches take turns in the safe... I think it's part of our craze. In a way it reminds me of Bill's pursuit of perfection article, I think if I found the perfect watch that I might stop... but in all honesty I doubt I would. As I have told my co-workers, it's like asking Jay Leno to give up all his cars but one, he'd never do it as he is a car collector. Hence the term collector.

In any event, with me, it's also never about price, it's about what I like, my most recent purchase is a ~$200 Seiko that I have been wearing the last month or so... I'm just a watch junkie, I like watches. That's why I'll never be satisfied with just one or two, I need variety and always like trying to find the next best thing. As I have mentioned before, my next pursuit of perfection is Bill's Pilot Watch project, coming soon, maybe it'll be the one! Don't know, we'll see, I am sure it will at least keep me interested for a good while until the next thing comes along....
    Rich
    Last edited by rmasso; April 15th, 2013 at 21:34.
    JCW1980 and AlphaWolf777 like this.

Thanks for the expert feedback, Bill. Another concern is not attempting some fabrication with such QC nightmares that they make you go gray before your time. :banghead:

:beer:

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //
    Hidden Content

MK II Kingston "Bond"; Key West "Pussy Galore"; Nassau 3-6-9; Graywater GMT. O&W M4, M5. Orient EV09, ER1S (2010 STI Series I). Seikos: SKXA47K (2005), 7T32-6M59 (1991), H558-5009 (1985), 7A48-7000 (my precious! 1985), 7009-4040 (1980?), 6117-6410 (1974). Steinhart Ocean Black DLC MilSub mod. Tissot TXL Digital7.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    I do seriously want to do this. I have been working on it off-and-on for at least 2 years trying to find the best possible construction. I am pretty sure what that construction has to be now but the potential price tag and certainly the scrap rate are very much cause for concern though. I just hope my supplier is coming to Basel this year.

In any event that's why we are pressing on with the aluminum version first.
    Makes perfect sense...

MKII imagery,
    Nylon NATION Co-Conspirator
    Lug Hole Loyalist
    Chamfer Line Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by Tetraflop View Post
    I´d like to see a very, very dark blue + red ( verschwärzlicht in German = with black broken ciolor ? ), if a Pepsi bezel is an option.
    Not the pure blue + red used for the later bezel versions.
    I would like to start this up again. I am would really prefer the very dark blue + red combo. I do not think the red of the GMT arm has to match the bezel. I actually think it would look better if it did not match.
    cpotters and POR901 like this.
    Hidden Content
    Get Gilt now, Ask me how.
    Blue Lume is for deviants. -Winston Churchill

I concur, I think that's what the originals looked like, not the cadet blue and firehouse red of later models.

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //
    Hidden Content

MK II Kingston "Bond"; Key West "Pussy Galore"; Nassau 3-6-9; Graywater GMT. O&W M4, M5. Orient EV09, ER1S (2010 STI Series I). Seikos: SKXA47K (2005), 7T32-6M59 (1991), H558-5009 (1985), 7A48-7000 (my precious! 1985), 7009-4040 (1980?), 6117-6410 (1974). Steinhart Ocean Black DLC MilSub mod. Tissot TXL Digital7.

Page 37 of 296 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 87 137 ... LastLast