Project GMT: Design thread - Page 4
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 4 of 296 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    For the time being I would suggest just pretending the watch has only two colors, black and white. By which I mean that we should focus getting the elements and shape correct. The colors can be decided later. However I would say that a black dial and a white dial will be a given. Anything more than that we will have to decide later. I am weary of giving people "kits" that they can supposedly install themselves as it always comes back to me with either A) a request to fix something that is busted or for B) "tutorials" which leads back to scenario "A" except now I am responsible for creating the problem in the first place. So if a third color becomes an option it will have to mean a surcharge for those customers that want it but the pricing for everyone else that is happy with a black or white dial will have to stay the same (i.e. we can't amortize the cost of a brown dial amongst everyone).

So get your black turtleneck out and pretend you are an architect and can only see in black and white. :D
    I can live with that.

I like a lot of the ideas already mentioned.

• I prefer C3.
    • I like the cyclops but I understand that it is not likely to happen and can live with that.
    • I want a usable (largish) crown.
    • I can go with the original Kingston bezel or the sapphire bezel but certainly want a coke or pepsi bezel.
    • I prefer very dark blue to black on the indices of the white dial version.
    • MKII X Red Wing Iron Ranger collab with every watch.

Just to join the queue of opinions...

I would like the final design to resemble as much as possible the picture 66Cooper posted. The hour indices are well placed, the 24h hand with the small arrow and all in all very well balanced watch as a whole.

One detail I seem to differ with majority is the lume. I do dislike the C3. It carries no connotation of vintage to me, instead the greenish tint reminds me of those cheap diving watches 70's and 80's. I would prefer that Bill continues using white day time lume (C1 or BWG9) in his watches. This is one major reason that I have many of his creations. To my knowledge Kingston is the first and only watch from Bill to use C3. The best option would be to have two versions with different lume, but that might not be an option

While I'm not a fan of cyclops I would like to one used in this watch. Somehow it belongs to the design. But if not then it wouldn't stop me wearing Key West -GMT :)

Looking forward seeing Bill's first drawings
    Chromejob likes this.

HJR

So get your black turtleneck out and pretend you are an architect and can only see in black and white. :D
    This architect has his black turtleneck on, and would still love a root beer model! Haha! We are predictable though aren't we?!

For the time being I would suggest just pretending the watch has only two colors, black and white. By which I mean that we should focus getting the elements and shape correct. The colors can be decided later. However I would say that a black dial and a white dial will be a given. Anything more than that we will have to decide later. I am weary of giving people "kits" that they can supposedly install themselves as it always comes back to me with either A) a request to fix something that is busted or for B) "tutorials" which leads back to scenario "A" except now I am responsible for creating the problem in the first place. So if a third color becomes an option it will have to mean a surcharge for those customers that want it but the pricing for everyone else that is happy with a black or white dial will have to stay the same (i.e. we can't amortize the cost of a brown dial amongst everyone).

While I think that a cyclops is just part of the watch from a design standpoint if a cyclops is not to be a regular feature why not handle it as an option?

Quote Originally Posted by messenius View Post

I would like the final design to resemble as much as possible the picture 66Cooper posted. The hour indices are well placed, the 24h hand with the small arrow and all in all very well balanced watch as a whole.

One detail I seem to differ with majority is the lume. I do dislike the C3. It carries no connotation of vintage to me, instead the greenish tint reminds me of those cheap diving watches 70's and 80's. I would prefer that Bill continues using white day time lume (C1 or BWG9) in his watches. This is one major reason that I have many of his creations. To my knowledge Kingston is the first and only watch from Bill to use C3. The best option would be to have two versions with different lume, but that might not be an option

While I'm not a fan of cyclops I would like to one used in this watch. Somehow it belongs to the design. But if not then it wouldn't stop me wearing Key West -GMT :)

+1 - I'd prefer the BGW9 white lume as well
    Chromejob likes this.

For me:

BGW9 or C1 lume

Small 24 hour hand - maybe something between the original (tiny) and the modern. Large enough to see, small enough to not dominate

Cyclops - I know you don't want to do it, but it is a part of the classic GMT look and usefulness. This isn't a dive watch

A set of interchangeable bezels. Start me with a dark blue pepsi, but let me buy more. And when you later build the Havana, have it be the same size, so the same bezels support both.

I like the big crown idea. It doesn't have to be Kingston big, but I have an Explorer II, which has a small crown and it's not as finger friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by messenius View Post

Agree with the above. The C3 lume is too green. Prefers the C1 or BWG9.

Quote Originally Posted by aviate View Post
    While I think that a cyclops is just part of the watch from a design standpoint if a cyclops is not to be a regular feature why not handle it as an option?
    I believe the decision was practical rather than aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by White Tuna View Post
    I believe the decision was practical rather than aesthetic.
    I completely understand, and it's far from a deal-breaker. But I thought I'd state my preference, none-the-less.

Re: Project GMT: Name discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Watchamacallit View Post
    Menno, IIRC a cyclops wasn’t going to be an option. Aside from that, it would only be possible on a flat sapphire, not a domed one. Whether the saphhire is proud – i.e. elevated at the side – or not shouldn’t have anything to do with it.

I could be totally wrong, of course.
    I don't think it's necessary to have a flat sapphire for a cyclops. A lot of the old Rolex watches with acrylic crystals were slightly domed and they have cyclops.
    Personally, i believe you lose a lot of the character of the GMT if you don't have a cyclops. The Roulette Date wheel would really look better with 2.5X magnification!!
    Chromejob likes this.
    Divers - Pre Sub Doxa 300m Dive Watch - Doxa Sub 300T Professional (US Divers) - Ocean7 LM-7 Ploprof - Ocean7 LM-7 Plorof Pro Titanium -Rolex 1665 SD-Rolex 1680 -Rolex 16610 Submariner - MKII Stingray 60 - MKII Kingston Gilt/non date - MKII Kingston Gilt/Date - Orthos 300 Commander
    Others- MKII Key West GMT(on the way) - Rolex GMT 16750 - IWC Calatrava - Ocean7 LM-5 GMT- Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde - Longines Hour Angle Lindberg - Tudor "Big Block" Chrono

Myla's Favorite's Doxa Sub 200 Coralline, Omega Seamaster 120 - Rolex Datejust 18k/SS - Chronosport Panther - Maurice Lacroix - Omega 14k Mesh - Tag Heuer TT Aquaracer

Page 4 of 296 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread Information