Project GMT: Design thread - Page 5
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 5 of 296 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Name discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I don't think it's necessary to have a flat sapphire for a cyclops. A lot of the old Rolex watches with acrylic crystals were slightly domed and they have cyclops.
    Personally, i believe you lose a lot of the character of the GMT if you don't have a cyclops. The Roulette Date wheel would really look better with 2.5X magnification!!

Arthur, I think your right about the look of the cyclops - especially if we get a roulette wheel - but IIRC it had to do with the time and/or expense to add it to Bill's spec. We all originally said that it needed to be optically useful and not just decorative, so it had to be 2.5x magnificaion or it wasn't worth the trouble. With a saphire crystal that means a couple of choices:

custom all-in-one crystal from a manufacturer. really expensive, and alignment time in assembly inceased significantly since a .5mm rotation would look horrible under that magnification.

glueing a 2.5x cyclops in place after assembly. time consuming, and not easy unless the crystal is flat, and we all seem to prefer a domed crystal.

For my old eyes, its critical to have that good cyclops otherwise I can't see the date anyway - and I'm willing to pay up for it. But if we can't do it right, I'd just as soon can it so Bill can concentrate on other details (like a saphire insert). my $0.02
    Cpotters

The Line-up:

Tudor 7928, Bunch of beat-up old Rolexes, MKII Custom Stingray 50, MKII LRRP, MKII TR-1000, MKII Kingston, Benrus Type I, Benrus Ultra-deep Super-compressor plus other super-Cs, 60's Zodiac Seawolfand Super Seawolf, Breitling Chronomat, ...

and lots of other vintage stuff.Hidden Content

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    a nice article has been posted on the gmt master's history, check it out

Attachment 592773
    I´d like to see a very, very dark blue + red ( verschwärzlicht in German = with black broken ciolor ? ), if a Pepsi bezel is an option.
    Not the pure blue + red used for the later bezel versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetraflop View Post
    I´d like to see a very, very dark blue + red ( verschwärzlicht in German = with black broken ciolor ? ), if a Pepsi bezel is an option.
    Not the pure blue + red used for the later bezel versions.
    I am not sure if I would prefer this, but I have to say the way I picture it in my mind I do not think I would have a problem with it.

here's 2cents worth.... "buy" the time we're done we'll have each put in a few bucks I'll bet- and collectively invested the cost of a havana/keywest.

Bands- Mercedes and a small triangle gmt

Dial- Black is timeless....but also ubiquitous, so a large part of me is leaning toward white. Either way I think the previously posted 66cooper pic is great.
    It may be a touch early to commit but I'd probably spring the extra $'s for a rootbeer dial, even more likely if it was labeled Havana- that combo just plain works. So an "avant" white dialed key-west with dark navy indicies and a rustic rootbeer/gilt havana please

cyclops- normally I'm a hater and remove them, but the roulette wheel certainly makes this one more appealing, if it didn't create a massive delay or extra $ I'd strongly consider it. Not a sticking point for me

Lume- I want bwg9 without a doubt. I'd go along with c3 perhaps on a dark dial, but not a white dial, it'll just look off. I'm not a big fan of c, seems like the compromise lume to me....now a c1 dial with bwg9 hands, that might be super cool

Crystal- prefer domed like the kingston, or lrrp... flat w/ cyclops could be cool but not without (cyclops). As for proud....maybe a touch if it's flat but certainly not the top hat sillyness you'll see on some tudors

For the caseback, how about the mIIk symbol with larger II's and the horizontal top and bottom curved to encircle the m&K. Sort of a pan-am inspired miik if you will

Bezel- Dark navy, or navy and red, but no light blues please
    Last edited by Cleans Up; September 13th, 2012 at 00:18.
    Hidden Content I'll be your devil's advocate...

For the caseback, how about the mIIk symbol with larger II's and the horizontal top and bottom curved to encircle the m&K. Sort of a pan-am inspired miik if you will
    Nice!

+1

Menno
    Last edited by Thieuster; September 12th, 2012 at 17:47.
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

That caseback idea sound interesting. Might have to try to create that one and see if it works. Otherwise, I Pan Am style globe, deeply engraved would look outstanding.

Ok, I as temped and had a few minutes to mess around. Just a down and dirty sketch of an idea.

Not sure why it looks so terrible but you get the idea.
    STEELINOX, Izzy, JCW1980 and 3 others like this.

GREAT job 66Cooper! I would like it to also have MKII on the there as well if you can work it in.

+ another one.

I prefer C3 by a hair, but lume performance will not be critical for my purposes and intended use/function on this watch, so I can live with 'whatever'.

-Best to all. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by White Tuna View Post
    GREAT job 66Cooper! I would like it to also have MKII on the there as well if you can work it in.
    How about MKII in place or instead of Key West?

Page 5 of 296 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread Information