Project GMT: Design thread - Page 50
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 50 of 296 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 100 150 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 2960
  1. #491
    Member Arthur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Natchez, MS USA
    Posts
    1,907

    Project GMT: Design thread

    Dude,
    I'm with you on this. The originals are iconic, why stray too far from what worked before. I also would like to see the bezel made from something other than aluminum. Acrylic, sapphire, ceramic, I don't really care. Those old Bakelite bezels were what made the 6542. Once they started replacing them with aluminum, they were just 1675's without crown guards!! I also really love the old open 6&9 DW fonts, of course the old Rolexes had flat top 3's as well. Since Rolex patents on the 6542 ran out decades ago, you could literally clone that watch without any of the Rolex markings such as the Coronet and Rolex and be perfectly safe. Not saying that Bill should do that, but he doesn't have to make any radical changes to be safe.
    cpotters and AlphaWolf777 like this.
    Divers - Pre Sub Doxa 300m Dive Watch - Doxa Sub 300T Professional (US Divers) - Ocean7 LM-7 Ploprof - Ocean7 LM-7 Plorof Pro Titanium -Rolex 1665 SD-Rolex 1680 -Rolex 16610 Submariner - MKII Stingray 60 - MKII Kingston Gilt/non date - MKII Kingston Gilt/Date - Orthos 300 Commander
    Others- MKII Key West GMT(on the way) - Rolex GMT 16750 - IWC Calatrava - Ocean7 LM-5 GMT- Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde - Longines Hour Angle Lindberg - Tudor "Big Block" Chrono

    Myla's Favorite's Doxa Sub 200 Coralline, Omega Seamaster 120 - Rolex Datejust 18k/SS - Chronosport Panther - Maurice Lacroix - Omega 14k Mesh - Tag Heuer TT Aquaracer

  2. #492
    Member AlphaWolf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    3,085

    Re: Project GMT: Design thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    I stated before that I have a strong desire to see the font follow the original at least as closely as the Kingston followed the original.

    I really think that contributed to making the Kingston the legend it is. When stuff starts changing then bad things happen. The 1 and 6 on of the linked font aren't right but the remaining numerals look close. The 9 probably should be like the 6 also.

    I was the one originally talking up open date wheels...

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Dude,
    I'm with you on this. The originals are iconic, why stray too far from what worked before. I also would like to see the bezel made from something other than aluminum. Acrylic, sapphire, ceramic, I don't really care. Those old Bakelite bezels were what made the 6542. Once they started replacing them with aluminum, they were just 1675's without crown guards!! I also really love the old open 6&9 DW fonts, of course the old Rolexes had flat top 3's as well. Since Rolex patents on the 6542 ran out decades ago, you could literally clone that watch without any of the Rolex markings such as the Coronet and Rolex and be perfectly safe. Not saying that Bill should do that, but he doesn't have to make any radical changes to be safe.
    Agreed. I think what separates a good homage from an extraordinary homage is when they stay as true as possible to the originals.
    My Collection
    Mk II Nassau Ref. 1001 #57 Red Triangle; Mk II Hawkinge Type 48 date; Smiths Everest PRS-25



  3. #493
    Member White Tuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,193

    Re: Project GMT: Design thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    I stated before that I have a strong desire to see the font follow the original at least as closely as the Kingston followed the original.

    I really think that contributed to making the Kingston the legend it is. When stuff starts changing then bad things happen. The 1 and 6 on of the linked font aren't right but the remaining numerals look close. The 9 probably should be like the 6 also.

    I was the one originally talking up open date wheels...

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Yes, that is the only reason I know what an open 6 and 9 were. I borrowed the picture from earlier in this thread. Do you remember what happened with the conversation you started? I think that it was decided we are not going with the open 6's and 9's on the roulette date wheel. I love the look of the older font myself but I think that battle is over.
    Hidden Content
    Get Gilt now, Ask me how.
    Blue Lume is for deviants. -Winston Churchill

  4. #494
    Member White Tuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,193

    Re: Project GMT: Design thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Dude,
    I'm with you on this. The originals are iconic, why stray too far from what worked before. I also would like to see the bezel made from something other than aluminum. Acrylic, sapphire, ceramic, I don't really care. Those old Bakelite bezels were what made the 6542. Once they started replacing them with aluminum, they were just 1675's without crown guards!! I also really love the old open 6&9 DW fonts, of course the old Rolexes had flat top 3's as well. Since Rolex patents on the 6542 ran out decades ago, you could literally clone that watch without any of the Rolex markings such as the Coronet and Rolex and be perfectly safe. Not saying that Bill should do that, but he doesn't have to make any radical changes to be safe.
    I know that bakelite is not an option, but I cannot believe that there is no plastic based substitute that is stronger and more durable. I mean that stuff they used to package CD's (Remember CD's?) in was pretty much indestructible!
    Hidden Content
    Get Gilt now, Ask me how.
    Blue Lume is for deviants. -Winston Churchill

  5. #495
    Member TheDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,160

    Re: Project GMT: Design thread

    Quote Originally Posted by White Tuna View Post
    Yes, that is the only reason I know what an open 6 and 9 were. I borrowed the picture from earlier in this thread. Do you remember what happened with the conversation you started? I think that it was decided we are not going with the open 6's and 9's on the roulette date wheel. I love the look of the older font myself but I think that battle is over.
    I actually don't recall that. Would be interested in being pointed to the location of that please.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    MkII Vantage
    MkII LRRP
    MkII Kingston
    MkII Project GMT plank preorder
    MkII Nassau big crown
    MkII Nassau 369
    MkII Hawkinge 48 (preorder)
    MkII Project 300 (preorder)
    OWC Blue Snowflake A10
    Panerai PAM 359 - 1950 3 Days
    Rolex Submariner 1680 MkVI Red
    Rolex Sea-Dweller 16660
    Rolex GMT-II 116710
    Citizen Titanium Eco-Zilla
    Seiko Black Samurai
    Tag Heuer 4000 Auto
    Nav B-Uhr Vintage Automatic

  6. #496
    Member White Tuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,193

    Re: Project GMT: Design thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    I actually don't recall that. Would be interested in being pointed to the location of that please.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    How would you like the PanAm to look? - Page 10

    How would you like the PanAm to look? - Page 11
    Hidden Content
    Get Gilt now, Ask me how.
    Blue Lume is for deviants. -Winston Churchill

  7. #497
    Member mlb212's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    952

    Re: Project GMT: Design thread

    Quote Originally Posted by White Tuna View Post
    I know that bakelite is not an option, but I cannot believe that there is no plastic based substitute that is stronger and more durable. I mean that stuff they used to package CD's (Remember CD's?) in was pretty much indestructible!
    CD plastic is polycarbonate, and if my memory serves me correctly also fighter jet cockpit canopies and greenhouse panes.

  8. #498
    Member White Tuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,193

    Re: Project GMT: Design thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mlb212 View Post
    CD plastic is polycarbonate, and if my memory serves me correctly also fighter jet cockpit canopies and greenhouse panes.
    [rant]

    I know you are trying to help but this just pisses me off! CD COMPANIES WHY WOULD YOU PACK MY CD's IN JET FIGHTER COCKPIT!!!! Really, I know you young kids do not have to deal with this but this plastic was sooooooo effing annoying!!!

    Name:  Angry-Emoticon.gif
Views: 4359
Size:  62.5 KB

    [/rant]

    Good info, thank you mlb212.
    JCW1980 and mlb212 like this.
    Hidden Content
    Get Gilt now, Ask me how.
    Blue Lume is for deviants. -Winston Churchill

  9. #499
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    977

    Re: Project GMT: Design thread

    That discussion was sooooooo two years ago! (Seriously, in a few days it will be 2 years!)

    I think Bill said that we were not going to copy the font from the original. I did not take that to mean that we couldn't have open 6s and 9s.

    It's interesting how we each value different aspects of the project, which is cool about a group project like this. For me:
    1. Getting the roulette date wheel as close to the original as possible is probably my top ask.
    2. I'd like to see the bezel be a "modernization" item. Sapphire would be the perfect way to "improve" the watch, while still remembering the origins.
    3. The crystal is something that I would be willing to compromise. Whichever option gets our watch built quickly is fine with me.

  10. #500
    Member Arthur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Natchez, MS USA
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Project GMT: Design thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BigHaole View Post
    That discussion was sooooooo two years ago! (Seriously, in a few days it will be 2 years!)

    I think Bill said that we were not going to copy the font from the original. I did not take that to mean that we couldn't have open 6s and 9s.

    It's interesting how we each value different aspects of the project, which is cool about a group project like this. For me:
    1. Getting the roulette date wheel as close to the original as possible is probably my top ask.
    2. I'd like to see the bezel be a "modernization" item. Sapphire would be the perfect way to "improve" the watch, while still remembering the origins.
    3. The crystal is something that I would be willing to compromise. Whichever option gets our watch built quickly is fine with me.
    I sort of feel the same about the bezel insert, like I said above, acrylic, lexan,sapphire, ceramic, anything that closely resembles the original Bakelite.
    Divers - Pre Sub Doxa 300m Dive Watch - Doxa Sub 300T Professional (US Divers) - Ocean7 LM-7 Ploprof - Ocean7 LM-7 Plorof Pro Titanium -Rolex 1665 SD-Rolex 1680 -Rolex 16610 Submariner - MKII Stingray 60 - MKII Kingston Gilt/non date - MKII Kingston Gilt/Date - Orthos 300 Commander
    Others- MKII Key West GMT(on the way) - Rolex GMT 16750 - IWC Calatrava - Ocean7 LM-5 GMT- Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde - Longines Hour Angle Lindberg - Tudor "Big Block" Chrono

    Myla's Favorite's Doxa Sub 200 Coralline, Omega Seamaster 120 - Rolex Datejust 18k/SS - Chronosport Panther - Maurice Lacroix - Omega 14k Mesh - Tag Heuer TT Aquaracer

Page 50 of 296 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 100 150 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
     

    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2