Project GMT: Design thread - Page 6
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 6 of 296 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaCosmicMan View Post
    How about MKII in place or instead of Key West?
    +1.

I'm not sure whether there would be trademark issues with the Pan Am globe design, but I would like to see "MKII" on the caseback within some type of globe, to capture the spirit of a GMT.

Cheers,
    Packleader

Quote Originally Posted by Thieuster View Post
    Well that's about it, I think. There's one thing: The crown on this watch has a vital function : it sets the GMT hand, so it has to be substantial making it easier to operate. For me, that rules out everything smaller than 6mm.
    +1 on the 6mm Crown

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaCosmicMan View Post
    How about MKII in place or instead of Key West?
    I will be giving that a try shortly. I just didnt have time and I wanted to see what a Pan Am font would look like. The mkII logo shouldnt be too hard to fit in there.

Alaska or between Alaska, Mexico and Oregon's high desert country

Quote Originally Posted by JCW1980 View Post
    +1 on the 6mm Crown
    (and another)

+1 for 6mm crown - I don't think it should be any larger, nor any smaller. 6mm is just right.
    JCW1980 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 66Cooper View Post
    That caseback idea sound interesting. Might have to try to create that one and see if it works. Otherwise, I Pan Am style globe, deeply engraved would look outstanding.
    I'm afraid anything so distinctly pan-am will be off the list, as there's still a remote possibility that it could be protected etc, iirc bill said no matter the assurances offered he's not willing to use it, and I personally understand and respect that. As for the "look" I do like your mock up, and it would be nice to see somehting similar with the mIIk logo.
    Cheers :)

Also +1 for the biggest crown we can use. I don't suppose an 8mm is an option as that was exclusive to the kingston, but I'd take a 7 over 6mm
    Last edited by Cleans Up; September 16th, 2012 at 02:26.
    Hidden Content I'll be your devil's advocate...

Re: Project GMT: Name discussion

Quote Originally Posted by aviate View Post
    Regarding the cyclops, I don't recall it having been taken off the table...aren't there quite a few people involved that feel the cyclops is intrinsic to the design?
    I don't believe the cyclops question has been completely taken off the table. Here's what Bill had to say about it last October in Post #63 of the Is the Pan Am Dead? thread (thought I remembered this...I had to go looking for a few minutes):

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    If the vast majority of everyone wants a cyclops I will see what I can do. :)
    I think it's still one of those design element concerns that Bill means to address after some of the simpler items are firmed up, like the dial design.

Personally, I've never been crazy about the cyclops, but I think it might be a charming addition to this watch. That said, I plan to own a Key-West either way.

Quote Originally Posted by eganwh View Post
    + 1 on:
    Small GMT hand
    Roulette date wheel
    No crown guard

I did not realize the hour marker location issue. Wow! ` This would be a great way to distinguish the Key West GMT. Thanks, 66Cooper, for pointing it out.

This dial layout is perfect. (thanks 66 Cooper) I like the placement of the hour markers to distinguish it from other sub designs. Couple the marker placement with the smaller GMT hand which is even with the minute markers and the GMT hand is unobtrusive to reading the time.

I like the BGW9 lume as i prefer it to C3 in the non-charged state for this project. The Roulette date wheel is a must. I would have to see the different dial minute track colors that have been discussed (gilt, dark blue etc.) and think about it some more.

I am not sure what dial color I would prefer but agree that black, (darker) blue and Pepsi bezels are the way to go.

As for the crystal Dome, proud or a combo works for me but would want to look at examples further as modern watches that try and capture the vintage look sometimes miss the mark when it comes to the crystal design.

I think the crown needs to be prominent but not Kingston sized. 6mm seems right for this project, possibly even 5.5mm. Scale drawings would help when we come to that. Defintely no crown guards on the case.

Once we arrive to discussing whether cyclops is an option and other colors besides black and white dials I will give that more thought.
    Regards

Barry

AFA Crown size, I think that a 6mm is the minimum size that should be considered. I have a GMT 16750 with the 5.3mm crown, and I assure you it's tiny and not the easiest size to manipulate. i also believe that the Kingston size crown is too big.

Ny feelings, and I have stated this before are simply, MKII should follow the size specs of the original 6542 as closely as possible.
    White Tuna likes this.
    Divers - Pre Sub Doxa 300m Dive Watch - Doxa Sub 300T Professional (US Divers) - Ocean7 LM-7 Ploprof - Ocean7 LM-7 Plorof Pro Titanium -Rolex 1665 SD-Rolex 1680 -Rolex 16610 Submariner - MKII Stingray 60 - MKII Kingston Gilt/non date - MKII Kingston Gilt/Date - Orthos 300 Commander
    Others- MKII Key West GMT(on the way) - Rolex GMT 16750 - IWC Calatrava - Ocean7 LM-5 GMT- Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde - Longines Hour Angle Lindberg - Tudor "Big Block" Chrono

Myla's Favorite's Doxa Sub 200 Coralline, Omega Seamaster 120 - Rolex Datejust 18k/SS - Chronosport Panther - Maurice Lacroix - Omega 14k Mesh - Tag Heuer TT Aquaracer

Alaska or between Alaska, Mexico and Oregon's high desert country

Question Re: Project GMT: Name discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    AFA Crown size, I think that a 6mm is the minimum size that should be considered. I have a GMT 16750 with the 5.3mm crown, and I assure you it's tiny and not the easiest size to manipulate. i also believe that the Kingston size crown is too big.

Ny feelings, and I have stated this before are simply, MKII should follow the size specs of the original 6542 as closely as possible.
    Thank you, Arthur; What was the size of the crown on the watch you referenced (6542)?

-Best, Have a good day-

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post

I also would like to see MKII follow the size specs of the original 6542, however, it has been stated that the Key West will be based upon the Kingston case, which is a larger watch than the original. Therefore, the crown size should be scaled to that case rather than be duplicated from the 6542. I concur with the other elements referenced, such as the small GMT pointer; roulette date; pepsi bezel with a black or dark blue option (sorry, I have no interest in the root beer color); and, a cyclops, if it can be effectively applied.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, and it might be moot due to my previously mentioned Kingston case reference, is that the original GMT models are all thinner than the Submariner models. This is primarily due to a thinner case back. I have worn both models, and the GMT's wear more comfortably than the Subs because of their slimmer profile. Like I said, it is probably not an option if the Kingston case is the basis for the watch, but it would be nice if Bill could source a slimmer case back for the Key West.
    Chromejob likes this.

Page 6 of 296 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread Information