Project GMT: Design thread - Page 7
Like Tree4055Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 7 of 296 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 107 ... LastLast

Re: Project GMT: Name discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I have a GMT 16750 with the 5.3mm crown, and I assure you it's tiny and not the easiest size to manipulate. ... MKII should follow the size specs of the original 6542 as closely as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaCosmicMan View Post
    Thank you, Arthur; What was the size of the crown on the watch you referenced (6542)?
    I like the idea of either using the 6542 crown size, or using the same ratio of crown size to case size (if the 6542 case is a different size than the Key West / Kingston).

For the life of me I can't find a reference to the 6542's crown size. This is making my head hurt... NM, 6mm feels about right.

Quote Originally Posted by JCW1980 View Post
    I like the idea of either using the 6542 crown size, or using the same ratio of crown size to case size (if the 6542 case is a different size than the Key West / Kingston).

For the life of me I can't find a reference to the 6542's crown size. This is making my head hurt... NM, 6mm feels about right.
    Roger that

Yao

Here is the first cut of the dial with the hands. Please note that the hour and minute hands are tweaked versions of the ones used on the Kingston. They are thinner and slightly smaller to give the dial a more open look. Let me know you feedback. I will read the comments as well as the ones posted before my post to look at how the design should change.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MHe225, spikynbaby and Dzunz001 like this.

EDIT:

I'm clarifying my selection.

I want the hour markers to be smaller as in B, but set farther from the inside of the dial as in A.

Cheers,
    Packleader
    Last edited by Packleader; September 25th, 2012 at 08:50.

"B" gets my vote, assuming the GMT hand is lengthened and the triangle skims the outer edge of the hour marker.
    Hotel Clerk: Do you have seventeen dollars and a good watch?
    Del: No I don't. I have uh... two dollars... and a Casio.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    CASIO: MTG-910DA, MTG-1200B, GW-M5610, GW-9400 | IWC: 325501 Mark XVI, 3706 Fliegerchronograph, 500401 Big Pilot | OMEGA: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00 | SEIKO: Prospex SRP787 | TAG HEUER: Formula 1 Chronograph CAU1111

Hidden Content

I vote for dial B. The smaller hour markers go well with thinner hour/minute hands plus they achieve better that 'open' and balanced look of the dial. At the same time the hour markers being a bit closer to centre of the dial don't leave the dial looking empty. All in all dial B has much more vintage look compared to dial A which reminds me of current R**ex maxi dial (of which I dislike).

Vote: B

Great mock-ups! I definitely think the indices should be 'moved in' like the original rolie design. Not only is it functional, but it also differentiates the dial from the Kingston in yet another interesting way. Also, I second nuovorecord's comment above that the GMT hand could be longer in order to move the arrow completely out from above the hour indices (conversely, you could also move the hour indices in toward the center a touch more to achieve the same effect).

Thanks for sharing Bill! Really looking forward to seeing more. These images have got me second guessing my choice of a white dialed Key West.

B for me - looks more balanced.

I am not (yet) second guessing my preference for the white dialed Key West and look forward to seeing mock-ups of those as well.
    I'm not a photoshop expert, so apologies if this is a stupid question: isn't showing a white dialed version not just a few mouse-clicks?

RonB
    cpotters likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nuovorecord View Post
    "B" gets my vote, assuming the GMT hand is lengthened and the triangle skims the outer edge of the hour marker.
    Yes, I like "B" as well.

Suggestion: Should the point of the GMT hand run just shy of the minute-track circle? I think as others have suggested already, that this may give the base of the red GMT triangle clearance to just outside of the outer portion of the hour markers -

Thanks Bill! This really helps to visualize some of the elements and how they interact.

I like B also. I think, the GMT hand should be the same length as the second hand and the GMT triangle head should be a bit smaller, perhaps the same width as the distance between the minute marker.
    Alexxonvaldez and White Tuna like this.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Page 7 of 296 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 107 ... LastLast