WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Project GMT: Design thread

441K views 3K replies 172 participants last post by  BigEmpty 
#1 ·
After much delay the final answer regarding the name is: "Key West - GMT"
Maybe we can have a Cigar colored "Havana - GMT" as the general availability version of the white-faced "Key West - GMT", like the Nassau followed the Kingston?

#469 · (Edited)
Just a practical question: If I decide to buy an MKII (i.e. a Nassau) and I have to wait, lets say, 32 weeks, when am I supossed to make the full payment? At the first or at the end of the waiting time?

To me it is very different to wait 32 weeks with my money (or at least, most of it), in my pocket!

As an example, I've just received a wonderful Stowa flieger that I booked 24 weeks ago, but I've only paid for it three weeks ago, when Stowa confirmed me that it was about to be send! And it is the same for, i.e., WUS projects...

Anyway, I would like to be waiting for my MKII GMT...

#472 ·
Somebody should post a tally of the design elements that have been solidified at this point. The design really hasn't been discussed in a long time.

Generally, I think the settled items were some of the Kingston components (case, bracelet), colors (black and white dials, pepsi and coke bezels), smaller crown than the Kingston.

The popular discussion points have been: more color combos (rootbeer?), cyclops, bezel insert material, dial print color, etc.

#478 ·
Re: Project GMT: Name discussion

Hi guys....right now we are trying to find a good font for the bezel. I am trying to nail this down before completing the dial design since it is important that the two pieces "work" together visually. So far this is the best I have found even if it means having to modify the fonts:

Ultima Pro - Webfont & Desktop font « MyFonts

#479 ·

So far this is the best I have found even if it means having to modify the fonts:

Ultima Pro - Webfont & Desktop font « MyFonts
When I first looked at the fonts, I thought "man, way too wide and curvy." Then I put my Kingston on and scrutinized the lettering on it, and thought "dang, I guess that's kind of wide, too." I reckon you have to make the font wider if its going to be that small so as to maintain legibility. I like the Ultima Pro Light, with the Ultima Pro Light Italic for units of measure (m and ft). One question though, would you use that font for the WR numbers as well?

Also, it made my day to see you post in this thread again. I'm really, REALLY looking forward to this watch.

Blue skies,
-only Jake

#480 ·

Thanks for the update Bill :)

Dumb question.....do the font styles have to differ all that much from the Kingston or Nassau? I understand the need for maybe a bolder / thicker font.....but why the change in style?

#481 ·

Thanks for the update Bill :)

Dumb question.....do the font styles have to differ all that much from the Kingston or Nassau? I understand the need for maybe a bolder / thicker font.....but why the change in style?
My guess is that Bill is looking for a font that will look good and work with the roulette date wheel font....

#482 ·
I was looking at it and comparing to the Kingston I happen to have on my wrist today.. I think I like the Ultima Pro.

#486 ·

I like the curvy, but i was really hoping for the open 6s and 9s on the date wheel.
Is Bill going to go with the same font everywhere on the watch?

#489 ·

Open 9:

BTW: I love that bezel font but do not think it would look as good in aluminum.
LOVE that date wheel!
I'm fine with the bezel font, but I'm still holding out hope for something other than aluminum.
Please, please, please give us a larger triangle with more lume! Somewhere between that tiny classic one and the over-sized modern version.

#490 ·
I stated before that I have a strong desire to see the font follow the original at least as closely as the Kingston followed the original.

I really think that contributed to making the Kingston the legend it is. When stuff starts changing then bad things happen. The 1 and 6 on of the linked font aren't right but the remaining numerals look close. The 9 probably should be like the 6 also.

I was the one originally talking up open date wheels...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

#492 ·
I stated before that I have a strong desire to see the font follow the original at least as closely as the Kingston followed the original.

I really think that contributed to making the Kingston the legend it is. When stuff starts changing then bad things happen. The 1 and 6 on of the linked font aren't right but the remaining numerals look close. The 9 probably should be like the 6 also.

I was the one originally talking up open date wheels...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Dude,
I'm with you on this. The originals are iconic, why stray too far from what worked before. I also would like to see the bezel made from something other than aluminum. Acrylic, sapphire, ceramic, I don't really care. Those old Bakelite bezels were what made the 6542. Once they started replacing them with aluminum, they were just 1675's without crown guards!! I also really love the old open 6&9 DW fonts, of course the old Rolexes had flat top 3's as well. Since Rolex patents on the 6542 ran out decades ago, you could literally clone that watch without any of the Rolex markings such as the Coronet and Rolex and be perfectly safe. Not saying that Bill should do that, but he doesn't have to make any radical changes to be safe.
Agreed. I think what separates a good homage from an extraordinary homage is when they stay as true as possible to the originals.

#491 ·
Dude,
I'm with you on this. The originals are iconic, why stray too far from what worked before. I also would like to see the bezel made from something other than aluminum. Acrylic, sapphire, ceramic, I don't really care. Those old Bakelite bezels were what made the 6542. Once they started replacing them with aluminum, they were just 1675's without crown guards!! I also really love the old open 6&9 DW fonts, of course the old Rolexes had flat top 3's as well. Since Rolex patents on the 6542 ran out decades ago, you could literally clone that watch without any of the Rolex markings such as the Coronet and Rolex and be perfectly safe. Not saying that Bill should do that, but he doesn't have to make any radical changes to be safe.

#494 ·
I know that bakelite is not an option, but I cannot believe that there is no plastic based substitute that is stronger and more durable. I mean that stuff they used to package CD's (Remember CD's?) in was pretty much indestructible!

#504 · (Edited)
I guess if this was "a slam dunk and off to the next masterpiece" then more watch maestros would of already have produced domed bezel homages to this piece which were incredible.

Some type of clear coating would be nice on this bezel to give the visual of the bakelite be it acrylic, sapphire, ect. I agree that it is an important attribute and maybe a defining feature of this piece. But, I am good with just about any option at this point.

Taken from the Prometheius sailfish thread over on the Prometheus Forum on WUS . Image by The Watch Topographer....

I know that O7 and Prometheus have both done or are in the process of doing domed sapphire bezel inserts on reasonably priced watches in the $400 -$600 range. Not sure if this is an option at this point or not but would be blown away if it happened.

#510 · (Edited)
I have always said that I am okay with aluminum as long as the color and finish is right and the font is right.

What's wrong with the Kingston font??

Oh, and how many of the folks who are offering guidance have a secured pre-order? Not for nothing, but I would bet a significant percentage of people offering input will never get the opportunity to buy one... I would hate to end up with a compromise I didn't like because of someone who won't even end up with one. Hate me for saying it, but I can't be the only one thinking it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#511 ·
I concur. After waiting three years for my Kingston, I signed up for the Key West assuming that the use of the Kingston case, as well as the avoidance of delaying issues in the design of the Kingston, would shorten the delivery time. That, unfortunately, does not appear likely to be realized. Therefore, it is my hope that Bill minimizes the design-by-committee methodology in order to move development along, with perhaps an occasional sign-off or poll among the pre-order members, who have their investment to justify such.

I have always said that I am okay with aluminum as long as the color and finish is right and the font is right.

What's wrong with the Kingston font??

Oh, and how many of the folks who are offering guidance have a secured pre-order? Not for nothing, but I would bet a significant percentage of people offering input will never get the opportunity to buy one... I would hate to end up with a compromise I didn't like because of someone who won't even end up with one. Hate me for saying it, but I can't be the only one thinking it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#514 ·
It took a while to get the fonts created for the bezel but here they are. We have two versions. V1.1. is with a rounded end-ed font and V1.2 is with a square ended font.

Basically the design is done but I have to go back to tweak the proportions and the alignment of the numbers and text. (Sorry just noticed a mistake at the 60 minute marker that will be corrected.)

The bezel design here is intended to be applied to aluminum. As such I personally prefer v.1.2. I did v1.1 only because someone way back when said they wanted to see it and I thought it might look interesting but in my opinion it is just trying too hard to mimic acrylic when its not.

As far as production goes....the cases are done and will be delivered at the end of December. That just leaves the production of the bezel inserts, dials and hands. As long as there are no major objections the Project GMT can likely launch in Summer 2014.

We will move onto the case back design as long as there are no major objections so the bezel and dial designs. Case back engraving will take less time than the production of the inserts, dials and hands.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#526 ·
It took a while to get the fonts created for the bezel but here they are. We have two versions. V1.1. is with a rounded end-ed font and V1.2 is with a square ended font.

Basically the design is done but I have to go back to tweak the proportions and the alignment of the numbers and text. (Sorry just noticed a mistake at the 60 minute marker that will be corrected.)

The bezel design here is intended to be applied to aluminum. As such I personally prefer v.1.2. I did v1.1 only because someone way back when said they wanted to see it and I thought it might look interesting but in my opinion it is just trying too hard to mimic acrylic when its not.

As far as production goes....the cases are done and will be delivered at the end of December. That just leaves the production of the bezel inserts, dials and hands. As long as there are no major objections the Project GMT can likely launch in Summer 2014.

We will move onto the case back design as long as there are no major objections so the bezel and dial designs. Case back engraving will take less time than the production of the inserts, dials and hands.

View attachment 1295274

View attachment 1295273
oh my.. really need to get these next year!!

Reactions: mlb212
#515 ·
V1.1 looks a little more subtile, so to speak. But I'm not disappointed when it's going to be V1.2!

Another question: will the black dialed version come as a 'Coke' version and the white dialed as a 'Pepsi'? Or...

It's great that you share the timepath with us. And I'm sure that none of us will mind seeing a few 'from the workbench' pictures with wall to wall Key West cases etc.

About the back: I think it should echo a fifties theme! Something with a jet, (propulsion like swoosh), blinking star etc. As long as it doesn't reflect the PanAm logo (copyright etc). or something with the time zones: a map of the world with the timezones perhaps?

Just my 2c.

Menno

#518 ·
V1.1 looks a little more subtile, so to speak. But I'm not disappointed when it's going to be V1.2!

Another question: will the black dialed version come as a 'Coke' version and the white dialed as a 'Pepsi'? Or...

It's great that you share the timepath with us. And I'm sure that none of us will mind seeing a few 'from the workbench' pictures with wall to wall Key West cases etc.

About the back: I think it should echo a fifties theme! Something with a jet, (propulsion like swoosh), blinking star etc. As long as it doesn't reflect the PanAm logo (copyright etc). or something with the time zones: a map of the world with the timezones perhaps?

Just my 2c.

Menno
Hi Menno,

Since the bezel is a separate part we can put whichever combination one would want. It doesn't have to be as pictured here. I just did that because I thought 8 versions might start to get a little confusing. But certainly you can do any combination of the bezel and the dial as desired.

#517 ·
I'm with Menno: v1.1 looks slightly more subtle and refined but either one will make me happy.

I know we have discussed case-back engravings at length, but don't recall if we ever reached consensus (not likely) or a conclusion. Some yet, preferably similar to the PanAm planes of the era, or globe with time zones and all, sound equally appealing.

There has also been mention of adding "the other dial" to the Plank-kits - that would be the ticket, white (gilt) dial & Pepsi bezel installed, black (gilt) dial & Coke bezel in the kit (or vice versa).

Summer 2014 is here before we know it .... here's too hoping for smooth sailing and no bumps in the road.

Thanks for sharing the pics and info, Bill. I know I speak for most -if not all- when saying that it's much appreciated.
Happy Thanksgiving to you, yours and all reading who celebrate this holiday.

RonB

#519 ·
I know we have discussed case-back engravings at length, but don't recall if we ever reached consensus (not likely) or a conclusion. Some yet, preferably similar to the PanAm planes of the era, or globe with time zones and all, sound equally appealing.

There has also been mention of adding "the other dial" to the Plank-kits - that would be the ticket, white (gilt) dial & Pepsi bezel installed, black (gilt) dial & Coke bezel in the kit (or vice versa).
I have a book that details the artwork of the era and I will see if I can come up with something. I may need to beg one of my in-laws for help, since she is actually a professional illustrator.'

The idea of doing spare dials and bezels is something that would be nice but when I did it for the Kingston it ended up being a tremendous time-sink because of all the possible combinations and all the QC work that had to be done just to ship one watch. I didn't post that as part of the offer this time because of the all the delays the parts kit created.

#524 ·
V1.2 looks absolutely stunning!

Bill, will the bezel be something that we can easily change ourselves? If so, having multiple bezels, at a separate charge, might be a nice win-win. Changing color combinations should (I hope) be relatively easy for you, and I know I would happily purchase them if I could easily swap them myself. I think that may be a nice compromise from the full spares kit with the Kingston Planks, and we could pay for the added time/effort you would take, by purchasing these different bezels. You could even have one bezel that is unique to the Key West, with the Plank Kit. Then, when you launch the regularly available version, there will always be something special just to the Key West.

#525 ·
To be honest I thought at one point things like bezel changes were something that anyone can do but I have seen too many botched customizations to feel that way any more. I would not recommend it. I would suggest only purchasing what you need for spares. I don't relish the idea of having that conversation where people ask me to fix something for free that they damaged themselves - which has happened more times that I can recount.

#528 ·
Bill, Thanks for the update and the illustrations. I also prefer V1.2, and agree with enkidu that V1.1 appears too thin.

Can we assume that, based upon the illustration, that both a "Coke" and "Pepsi" bezel will be available? And, if so, will the pre-orders, who are promised a spare bezel and aluminum inlay, be allowed to order both?

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, as well as all forum members here.

#532 ·
Bill, Thanks for the update and the illustrations. I also prefer V1.2, and agree with enkidu that V1.1 appears too thin.

Can we assume that, based upon the illustration, that both a "Coke" and "Pepsi" bezel will be available? And, if so, will the pre-orders, who are promised a spare bezel and aluminum inlay, be allowed to order both?

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, as well as all forum members here.
Yes will be allowed to order both bezels. One for your watch and the other for your spares but note as well that we can not provide you with technical information about how to remove and replace the bezels. We just can't assume the responsibility that it would imply if damage were to ensue. The spares are meant to be just that....spare parts for repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.