Like Tree742Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Design thread

Page 1 of 80 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Project GMT: Design thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    After much delay the final answer regarding the name is: "Key West - GMT"
    Maybe we can have a Cigar colored "Havana - GMT" as the general availability version of the white-faced "Key West - GMT", like the Nassau followed the Kingston?
    Dzunz001 and yue like this.

Re: Project GMT: Name discussion

After much delay the final answer regarding the name is: "Key West - GMT"

I hope to start mocking up the two dial and hand choices next week. Basically we need to decide:

* Small GMT hand or big GMT Hand (i.e. similar to what Rolex uses now)
    * Whether the hour markers are the dial are just like the Kingston or if we should move them closer to the center of the dial as on some early GMTs. I believe this was done so that the Arrow tip of the GMT hand would not fall on-top of the hour markers and get lost at night.
    Great news, Bill! I'm in favor of keeping it as close as possible to the original. So my preference would be for a small GMT hand, and the hour markers positioned as you described. Here's a good picture of what I'm referring to.

Thanks for the update!
    STEELINOX and cpotters like this.
    Hotel Clerk: Do you have seventeen dollars and a good watch?
    Del: No I don't. I have uh... two dollars... and a Casio.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    CASIO: MTG-910DA, MTG-M900BD, MTG-1200B, GW-M5610 | HAMILTON Pan Europ Chronograph | OMEGA: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00 | ROLEX: GMT-Master II 16710 BLRO | SUNNTO: Core

Ok. One foot in front of the other. I'd want the dial to look as close to the original or, more specifically - as different from the current Rollie GMT - as possible.
    Cpotters

The Line-up:

Tudor 7928, Bunch of beat-up old Rolexes, MKII Custom Stingray 50, MKII LRRP, MKII TR-1000, MKII Kingston, Benrus Type I, Benrus Ultra-deep Super-compressor plus other super-Cs, 60's Zodiac Seawolfand Super Seawolf, Breitling Chronomat, ...

and lots of other vintage stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHaole View Post
    Maybe we can have a Cigar colored "Havana - GMT" as the general availability version of the white-faced "Key West - GMT", like the Nassau followed the Kingston?
    I like this suggestion, because one name represents the origin of the first Pan Am flight and the other represents the destination of the first Pan Am flight. It's like having a choice between sunrise and sunset. I'd choose both.

Cheers,
    Packleader

I love it!!! Key West, my Kingston is waiting patiently for your arrival.

On the configs. All the small details that may seem insignificant to the normal wearer (that does not apply to anyone here, haha) are what make the 6542 so amazing.
    Small GMT hand
    Roulette date wheel
    Lume bezel (i know thats not happening)
    No crown guard
    Bezel teeth design

These are the things that really set these apart from what just about every other GMT made looks like in one way or another....and I LOVE IT!!!

From my research, it looks like the triangle extended past the minute ring, where the base of the triangle is almost level with the minute marks and the tip extends past the minute ring.

This isnt exactly right as you dont see the edge of the minute ring. Look at the Kingston. There is a space between the case opening and the minute ring. The tip of the triangle would float there. As its not pointing to anything on the dial but the bezel instead. Kinda clever really. Have the point leave the "live dial area" so that you dont confuse that hand with what is going on on the dial. Well, I might have just confused everyone with that. Haha, sorry

More like this:

Bill, if you need any help with the design of the dial/hands, I already have a pretty good start.
    Last edited by 66Cooper; September 5th, 2012 at 05:10.
    STEELINOX and Dzunz001 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cpotters View Post
    Ok. One foot in front of the other. I'd want the dial to look as close to the original or, more specifically - as different from the current Rollie GMT - as possible.
    Charlie,
    I'm 100% in agreement with you. I already have a 16750, so adding another one to the stable that looks the same would not make much sense. I believe that following closely to the 6542 is in keeping with what this project started out to be. Small GMT hand, chapter ring, Black/gilt, White/Black, Roulette date wheel, no crown guards. I would love to see a pepsi insert made of Sapphire or Lexan with lume numbers, but I'm afraid that isn't going to be and option.There are lots of GMT's out there that look like the modern Rolex GMT, lets not make another one!
    Divers - Pre Sub Doxa 300m Dive Watch - Sub 300T Professional (US Divers) -Heroic 18 Bronze Diver - Ocean7 LM-7 Ploprof - Ocean7 LM-7 Plorof Pro Titanium -Rolex 1665 SD-Rolex 1680 -Rolex 16610 Submariner -"- Tudor 9411/0 Snowflake/ Blue Dial - MKII Stingray 60 - MKII Kingston Gilt/non date - MKII Kingston MKII Gilt/Date
    Others- Rolex GMT 16750 - IWC Calatrava - Ocean7 LM-5 GMT- Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde
    Myla's Favorite's Doxa Sub 200 Coralline, Omega Seamaster 120 - Rolex Datejust 18k/SS - Chronosport Panther - Maurice Lacroix - Omega 14k Mesh - Tag Heuer TT Aquaracer

Yao

Project GMT: Design thread

This thread is for posting comments to the mock-ups and general design elements of the Project GMT. The name thread will be moved to the Archive.
    STEELINOX likes this.

Yao

Re: Project GMT: Design thread

Quote Originally Posted by BigHaole View Post
    We can address this issue after the design is done. To be honest though I think there may be enough demand for the watch with the black and white options that a brown dial may be moot.

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by 66Cooper View Post

More like this:

I hope I understood your gist of the dial design. But the lower picture is exactly what I mean. the hour markers are set closer to the center of the dial than the 6538 or even the later version.

Ö the hour markers are set closer to the center of the dial than the 6538 or even the later version.
    Excellent. Now that thatís settled, do we also agree on a proud sapphire?
    Lambert

Page 1 of 80 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread Information