Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Project GMT: Pre-ordering now open….

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Yao

Project GMT: Pre-ordering now open….

You can check out more details here.

Here are my thoughts on some of the issues raised during the preliminary discussions….

Movement: ETA 2893-2

I know that there was some speculation that a new GMT movement is on the horizon from Sellita. Barring the possibility that the collective minds on the forums know something that I don’t (which is possible) none of my sources are aware of such a development. In addition, given that the balance springs that the industry is dependent upon will become artificially scarce for the next couple of years there probably isn’t a lot of incentive for Sellita to expand their product line. At this point I know I have 2893s coming and I know the movement well by now. For this kind of project it seems best to stick to what we know and understand.

Lumed bezel?

There was quite a lot of talk previously about a lumed bezel inlay. What is important to note at this stage is that if you sign up for the Project GMT (“GMT”) you will have to be satisfied with an aluminum inlay. That is because that is what I can guarantee for now. What we can promise to the Plankowners (i.e. the first 60 watches) for the GMT is that if we develop a sapphire inlay option for the watch we will at the least offer them an opportunity to purchase the part at a discount. I can’t be more generous at this point until we know exactly how much the part will cost. It isn’t even possible at this stage to estimate the cost because the method we prefer to use is experimental.

We are in the intermediate stage of the development a lumed sapphire inlay that we can use on the GMT. The Paradive inlay is an example of how far we have progressed toward this goal and a solid indicator that it is possible. However the issues involved in a lumed sapphire inlay for the GMT are more complex. The part would only be partially supported by the bezel, much like the original PanAm watch. The Paradive is “easier” because the part is fully supported by the bezel itself.

At this point we are using the production of the Stingray II and Project 300 as test beds for a process that can be used as a state-of-the-art solution to the GMT inlay. While the geometry of the Stingray II and Project 300 inlays are not the same as a proposed GMT inlay it is more practical to test this experimental technique on a flat surface and then move forward if it is successful. The process we are using for the Paradive is an alternative solution that is available but as noted above not ideally suited for a partially supported bezel inlay.

Using acrylic is out of the question. Based on my experience the material is too inconsistent and unstable. There is also the danger that we would inadvertently re-create the problem that Rolex experienced with the original GMT watch. If you recall the original acrylic inlays were dimensionally unstable when exposed to strong sunlight and also prone to “leakage” of the Strontium paint. While we would be using SuperLumiNova (“SLN”) one still risks the SLN expanding if it is ever exposed to water, which can cause the acrylic to crack.

Case body and Design:

I have decided that it is ideal to use the Kingston case design as the foundation for the Project GMT. There isn’t a lot to be gained by re-designing the case. In addition the Kingston case is different enough from the original PanAm watch that it is also “safe” as it can’t be re-purposed to counterfeit original PanAm’s.

Date wheel:

Just for the sake of laying all of our cards out on the table, there are a couple of issues I should make you aware of. There are two ways we can go. We can either use a standard white background date wheel with black and red numbers or we can try to replicate the original silver tone sunburst satin background finish with the black and red numbers. The former is obviously safe and should serve a suitable way forward if my efforts to create the later fall on its face. The reason I bring this up is that I haven’t tried to manufacture anything exotic as far as date wheels are concerned. I know what is possible with dials of course, and they are very similar. However I have been doing this long enough to know that sometimes small differences can result in substantial questions of feasibility.

Timetable:

I will discuss this some more when I have had some more sleep…the new work schedule has been murder when random people throw wrenches in the works. However so far so good.

Re: Project GMT: Pre-ordering now open….

glad i just happened to check the forum after getting home from work.....just pre-ordered one about 15 min ago......
    Last edited by zivadavis; January 20th, 2012 at 09:08.

Just happened to check in this morning - sent my deposit!
    Steve

Just saw the thread, order placed! Didn't want to have to sweat out one like I did with the Kingston.
    Specs sound really nice, hopefully the sapphire bezel insert will become a reality. that will definitely separate it from the pack.
    Divers - Pre Sub Doxa 300m Dive Watch - Sub 300T Professional (US Divers) -Heroic 18 Bronze Diver - Ocean7 LM-7 Ploprof - Ocean7 LM-7 Plorof Pro Titanium -Rolex 1665 SD-Rolex 1680 -Rolex 16610 Submariner -"- Tudor 9411/0 Snowflake/ Blue Dial - MKII Stingray 60 - MKII Kingston Gilt/non date - MKII Kingston MKII Gilt/Date
    Others- Rolex GMT 16750 - IWC Calatrava - Ocean7 LM-5 GMT- Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde
    Myla's Favorite's Doxa Sub 200 Coralline, Omega Seamaster 120 - Rolex Datejust 18k/SS - Chronosport Panther - Maurice Lacroix - Omega 14k Mesh - Tag Heuer TT Aquaracer

Ordered! Wish I had the Kingston so I knew more about the size and what I was getting but I just cannot pass this up. Still a little concerned that it will be a little small on my wrist.

Ordered! I hope that I'm in before the 60 slots are filled!

Menno
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Quote Originally Posted by White Tuna View Post
    Ordered! Wish I had the Kingston so I knew more about the size and what I was getting but I just cannot pass this up. Still a little concerned that it will be a little small on my wrist.
    Don't worry. It's perfect on any wrist! The size of the Kingston is well balanced. You have to take into the account the fact that the watch has a lot of presence. I think the GMT will have even more!

Menno
    Last edited by Thieuster; January 20th, 2012 at 14:49. Reason: spelling...
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

I'm in...

Done !
    Hope we won't be waiting an other 24 month or more :(
    Mr Yao, I trust you !

Unfortunately, no way to know if i'm in the first 60 batch :/
    Last edited by Alexxonvaldez; January 20th, 2012 at 14:54.

Exclamation Re: Project GMT: Pre-ordering now open….

Great update !

"EEEEEYeeeeaaaaaaaaah"

More GMT names...

GLOBE MASTER
    GLOBE STAR
    ORION (for the PAN AM spacecraft in 2001 A Space Odyssey)
    Last edited by STEELINOX; January 20th, 2012 at 16:29.
    Nylon NATION Co-Conspirator
    Lug Hole Loyalist
    Chamfer Line Inspector

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information