Doxa 1200T (seed planted by The Grey NATO) or a Seiko mm300. - Page 5
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Doxa 1200T (seed planted by The Grey NATO) or a Seiko mm300.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Doxa 1200T (seed planted by The Grey NATO) or a Seiko mm300.

For what I am concerned I would get a 1200T or a MM300 instead of ANY Submariner.

Quote Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post
    For what I am concerned I would get a 1200T or a MM300 instead of ANY Submariner.
    Thank you.

And I appreciate that you read through my manifestos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jalfreem View Post
    Thank you.

And I appreciate that you read through my manifestos.

Get the one you fancy most and wear it everyday, I agree there is no point in buying a watch and not using it because of concerns of being stolen/damaged or that people will think you are a showoff. Probably a Sharkhunter will work better to go under the radar. The Marine Master is a very understated design as well.

I've got both a Submariner (no date 114060) as well as the sub 300 50th sharkhunter. They are very different watches. I personally love them both for what they are. I find the Submariner to be more versatile as it is a bit dressier, but the sub 300 is a more hardcore tool watch. The Submariner was my grail, so if you have to choose just one, I'd go with the Submariner.

I agree with most of the previous posts: get insurance on your watches-it's not that expensive and you can be worry-free. I'm like you w/the Rolex Submariner in that the money seems like a fortune for one watch, but in the meanwhile I've spent way more on a large quantity of watches. So, for you is it a collecting(buying) itch or an itch for a particular watch. If it's the latter, I would bite the bullet and get the sub. If you like collecting a variety of watches get the Doxa or the 300MM, and that's a tough choice. I have 4 Seikos and 3 Doxas, so I'm covering all the bases. You could get a good used Grand Seiko dive watch for fairly close to the 300MM new price, and the Doxa is the same price, or very close to it. I think the Doxa, especially the Sharkhunter or Searambler, is more versatile if you're wearing a shirt with cuffs. I love your choices-you can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by reeder1 View Post
    I agree with most of the previous posts: get insurance on your watches-it's not that expensive and you can be worry-free. I'm like you w/the Rolex Submariner in that the money seems like a fortune for one watch, but in the meanwhile I've spent way more on a large quantity of watches. So, for you is it a collecting(buying) itch or an itch for a particular watch. If it's the latter, I would bite the bullet and get the sub. If you like collecting a variety of watches get the Doxa or the 300MM, and that's a tough choice. I have 4 Seikos and 3 Doxas, so I'm covering all the bases. You could get a good used Grand Seiko dive watch for fairly close to the 300MM new price, and the Doxa is the same price, or very close to it. I think the Doxa, especially the Sharkhunter or Searambler, is more versatile if you're wearing a shirt with cuffs. I love your choices-you can't go wrong.
    Getting back to my thread after some time for more thoughts and the posts that have been made. I keep almost being of two minds. Now granted I'm no longer consumed with watch fever, but I've come to realize that I like many different watches and I'm a collector. I've thought I could have been a "minimalist" and been the one watch type person, but I like so many different designs.

To plunge for the Submariner is beyond my goals for now. It's not really my Grail. There I admit it. I don't lust for a Rolex Submariner. I would like to own one, but to be an object of focusing my resources to pursue is no longer my objective. I'll wait for the proper time when I've reached my Financial Goals, and when a good deal presents itself. As an aside, I do take a curmudgeon approach to second hand Rolex Sub prices, that they are in a bubble and that the bubble will burst. One day soon the second hand SubC will be priced more in line with what I'm willing to pay and justify to myself. I'd also like to see what they do in the next iteration, which we are closer to seeing in the coming years. I'll hold my Sub cash as a cash position.

But in regards to the MM300, Doxa 1200t, and my own Tudor BBBlue ETA. Each one I like as well as the Subs I've handled. Not having touched a MM300 or a Doxa, I own the Tudor and I can say it's basically (to me) quality between the old Sub, and the new Sub. If the Doxa and MM300 are in that quality range, than I'll be happy. And they can be worn and I don't have to worry about them as having to insure them or worry about losing one of them. Sure I may have Sub money in the 3, but not sub money on the wrist while wearing one of them at a time. And they could each one get WIS cred that I care about more than impressing for the wrong reasons with a Sub or offending some of those who might know Rolex. Once I reach FI, I won't care what people think, but those people currently pay me to do funerals for them. They won't care a lick about a Seiko, Tudor, or a Doxa, or that I wear dive watches not dress watches anyway. But a Rolex Sub could cause an issue. But I can put that off to when I don't require the judgement of others on my finances.

I'll like them. I like the little quirks of the Doxa that makes it a Doxa Sub. It's own history. The same for the Seiko, the Diver's Dive watch. They seem like fun watches to wear and use as intended, even if for me they will mainly be used while mowing my yard or swimming, and the hiking the trails with my family, hopefully used for some snorkeling and swimming in the Caribbean in a few years on a vacation.
    A SubC now would be too much of a worry and a larger financial cost then I can do at once. Sure, I could buy it and wear it sparingly, and not really enjoy it. The others I can enjoy, just like I enjoy my SKX007 and 009, not having to care about taking care of them.

Just some thoughts and the appreciation I have for those who responded.

I've owned both (and still own my MM300). They're both fantastic watches, and I really enjoyed my time with my 1200T. If you don't mind the size of the MM300, I would have to say it's the better watch both in terms of build quality, bracelet quality, and movement (The mm300 uses an undecorated Grand Seiko movement).

However, if you dig the style of Doxa, nothing else is going to satisfy that desire. Doxa cool is a totally different kind of cool, and is very fun to wear.

Hi. I own a 1200T Sharky and a 16610 Sub amongst others. I've had the Sub for 17 years and it ages so well. I have had the Sharky for about 2 years and have worn it about 5 times. It lives in the safe in its Doxa tube ready for when eBay lower their fees. Buy the Sub you won't regret it ever.
    Kinesis likes this.

Actually I just bought a new BOR bracelet for my Sharky and going to keep it. Get the Sub as they are great but in the meantime get the Doxa

Thanks for these new replies.

I plan on pursuing the purchase of a sub at some point in the future. Maybe 3-5 years. It's just not a priority.

Thank you for your views on a MM300 and the quality and the Doxa for the style. The Doxa is beautiful in its almost ugliness. Utilitarian yet classic. Unlike a Sinn u1 (what I view as their iconic diver) is almost too stark and rather large looking for me. While the mm300 is chunky, I think it looks like it wears smaller than its dimensions. I think both would be fun, the question is which one first? Or try for the 50th anniversary Doxa Sharks or Sea Rambler, and get an ETA COSC vs the SW200-1 of the 1200t? That would change the order or purchase.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information