WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Doxa 1200T (seed planted by The Grey NATO) or a Seiko mm300.

7K views 62 replies 26 participants last post by  biscuit141 
#1 ·
Doxa 1200T or Seiko mm300

Doxa has been on my mind since the Grey NATO guys reviewed the 50th anniversary model. I think the watches are "tool cool" and different than other divers. And the history. COSC 2824.

MM300, is cool in my book too. I have a 7.25 wrist and it's a flat wrist. I like this model a lot except for the lack of servicing easily and the reports of poor regulation. I know it's not regulated, but I know it can be as an 8l35. But I like my SKX 007 and its sometimes fast or slow depending on position.

I'll begin by stating I'm a waffler. I've posted a few threads, responded in others all in the attempt to better come to grips with my own watch tastes. I've recently made some philosophic posts on the failings of the "luxury" Swiss watch industry, to come away feeling that I'm not that into "luxury." Since luxury is subjective, to me it means money spent where I would miss the money more than my ability to enjoy the watch. I had once owned a Rolex Explorer 214270 that I didn't bond with and was always concerned about the possibility of loosing my "investment" scratching or damaging it, since I bought it partly for its value retention. I flipped into a Black bay and some cash. I plan on keeping the ETA Bay to see where second hand prices go, and possibly sell if the price is right. I should have just put the explorer in a safe and went on with my life. Except I found I like dive watches.

My new Grail had been a Submariner. But since I am admitting that I cannot afford one now nor in a position to lose it, I'm putting the Sub on the back burner for a while. I can afford a Submariner if I flipped out of all my watches, but I would have one watch and I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing that amount of money on my wrist at one time. Now, I and my wife, are comfortable with me owning and wearing a couple of quality $2k pieces if I want. If I lost a Doxa 1200T or a MM300 that would hurt, but not hurt financially.

So, of those who have one or both, what are your suggestions or views? I don't see them as status or luxury pieces, simply tough watches that are cool to me (like the Submariner). Either one I would like to own for as long as I can and would be in a collection along side a future Submariner purchase (as long as Rolex doesn't hit $10,000) that would be beyond my ability to justify.

As an aside. I think Tudor is being positioned into the new past Rolex of quality tool watch, and Rolex proper as the luxury brand that it's been trying to become.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Fashion accessory Wrist Jewellery Ring Finger
Watch Wrist Fashion accessory Watch accessory Hand
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

They are both great watches. If I had to choose only one I would pick the MM300. I like the Seiko philosophy of not letting the helium in therefore no need for the helium escape valve. The marine master is far more legible at a glance. The 1200T seems to be a scratch magnet. The overall feel when you handle them IMHO goes to the MM300 as well. I also sold my Sub and my Grand Seiko Diver and kept the MM300 over both of them. As far as accuracy the Doxa is about +3, the Seiko is +6, both are close enough for me. My Sub was +6 and my GS was less than +1. I love my Doxa and wear it as much as the Seiko, but if I had to choose only one it would be the Seiko. The finish, the smooth bezel rotation, the legibility, and overall quality and feel of the MM300 is hard to beat.

I do wish I could find a BOR for the Seiko, I really like the Doxa bracelet.

#5 ·
I have both as well. The 300 anniversary pro Doxa and the Sbdx001 Seiko.

In terms of build quality I rate them rather evenly. Both have beautiful dials and case construction.

They wear a lot differently though. The Seiko doesn't wear huge, but it's thick. Some will find the 20mm lug width too small for its overall size. It's not a watch that will fit under a cuff easily. The Doxa is thin and wears a lot smaller than the Seiko. If you get the Sharkhunter (or Searambler), I feel it's more versatile because of its thinner case.

I'm a sucker for cushion cases, so I'd probably lean towards Doxa if I had to pick one, but both are long term keepers for me.

#7 ·
Thank you Toothbras. I realize a sub is what I want, but I should have not mentioned my taste for a Sub. I go back and forth on it so much, I am putting off that purchase until I can actually afford it. By that I mean Dave Ramsey style. Not everyone agrees with this, but for myself and family, we have financial goals we are trying to reach. I have enough "play" budget during this time to excuse a Doxa, Seiko mm300, or even a used omega smp, to go along with my Tudor. 2 watch for my two sons later in life. Once we reach our goals, I'm free to purchase what I want. That may be a decade, but I didn't know about a Rolex Sub until 4 years ago when I started looking at watch blogs.

I can wait for a sub. I'm looking for something cool and iconic I can wear around in this season of my life.

#8 ·
Or, if I were to go full gazelle speed on the mortgage, I really should sell my watches and wear a G Shock until it's paid off. Then I can get back into the hobby. As someone told me, they are just watches. Yet it's kind of my only "extra" thing I do now, which is geek on them.

#9 ·
I know that I wouldn't wear the Sub like I do my other watches, and it would be a safe queen only to be worn occasionally. To me, what's the point of that? It becomes a waste of money. If I'm not going to wear it, why buy it in the first place.
I wear my SKX doing everything. Work, shoveling snow, mowing the yard. I don't care if I trash it by accident. I could get insurance but I feel that if I have to insure a watch, than it costs to much for me at this point in my life.

But back to focusing only on the Doxa or MM300. Any major negative issues with either one? liwanh22 mentioned the service hassle and the crown threading. Service issues I think are had by most major brands at some point. I'm 2 hours away from a good watch maker/ Rolex AD anyway, and can't exactly drive there on a whim. Any Seiko has to go to NJ or to Japan. Doxa seems like they are doing well on the customer service side to address issues that come up. I'm in a no mans land when it comes to ADs and any watch maker that can even service an ETA 2824, let along a 3135 or a 8l35.

#12 ·
I've got a 5000T, 600T and pre-Synchron 300T as well as an MM300 and a 7.25" wrist. I prefer the MM300. The Doxa cushion case wears thick on my wrist and less comfortably than the MM300. I prefer the case style, finish and legibility of the MM300 too.

I sent my MM300 a few years ago to CoServ for service and they sent it to Japan for service. Came back in short order and service was under $300 as I recollect. Runs fine and is accurate. I wouldn't worry about service.

#14 ·
I have Sub date and a few other cracking watches.

My most recent purchase is the Doxa 1200 Caribbean.

One of the things I like is that t has its own identity, it isn't trying to be a Sub.

I've owned it a month and have worn it daily. Its great.

But you should still buy the Sub...

You''ll see from my collection below that when I bought the Sub it 'cured' me for several years.. I didn't need to feed my habit between 1999 and 2007...things changed then, and I was in the position to indulge myself, but ....had I not bought that Sub back in '99, I'm sure I'd have spent far more on lesser pieces, trying to convince myself.

Oh, and in '99 the Sub was 2200 GBP.... adjusted for inflation now, that's cheap. Rolex will slip further from your grasp. Just do it.... and insure it.

#15 ·
Okay, let me put my budget out there. The value of my watch collection. 1 Tudor Black Bay blue ETA, 1 Nomos Orion, 1 SKX007, 1 SKX009. I sold 1 Squale 20 atmos, sold 1 Seiko Sarb netting $600 total. To get to a SubC new from AD (not second hand, since that will vary) but using my AD quoted price on new out the door cash price. I would need to not only unload what I have in my collection, but also invest $1500. Which I could do. So, the Sub would be my only watch and I would keep it locked away as a safe queen until I reached financial freedom from paying off my mortgage (5 years left).

My temptation is to flip the collection and put it on the mortgage, but I do enjoy watches.

But, maybe since that is the consensus on every post I make, which is to just get the sub. Since I'm full willing to flip said collection, and lock the sub away. At least I'd have the SubC at its current price, and can then wear a that owned NOS SubC in 5 years time no worries. Then build a collection after that. I'm sure a Doxa or mm300 isn't going to spike in price either. But the Rolex could, easily.

#16 ·
And as to my other threads. Just get the Sub. Don't get a Nomos Club, don't get a Rolex OP at 36mm, don't get an Explorer 1, definitely don't get a Seiko mm300 (I don't think I could stand the unadjusted movement at $2k), and just buy the Sub, lock it away, and quite reading the forums.

#17 ·
So aside from owning several Doxas and an MM300, I own four Subs. The Subs are nicer than the Doxas or MM300 in some ways of course and if this is what really floats your boat the question is why settle?

The answer in your case seems to be, if you bought a Sub, you would be compelled to treat it as a safe queen. That is a good enough rationale to not buy a Sub in my book. Current production watches are meant to be worn. While current, they can be readily serviced and be cosmetically restored to as new condition with new case parts as opposed to refinishing. Spending so much money relative to your finances that you don't feel comfortable wearing the watch makes no sense to me. To be clear, I think there is an appropriate time and place for safe queens (I own some safe queens), but categorically, a new watch isn't the time and place in my book.

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to purchase.

#18 ·
So aside from owning several Doxas and an MM300, I own four Subs. The Subs are nicer than the Doxas or MM300 in some ways of course and if this is what really floats your boat the question is why settle?

The answer in your case seems to be, if you bought a Sub, you would be compelled to treat it as a safe queen. That is a good enough rationale to not buy a Sub in my book. Current production watches are meant to be worn. While current, they can be readily serviced and be cosmetically restored to as new condition with new case parts as opposed to refinishing. Spending so much money relative to your finances that you don't feel comfortable wearing the watch makes no sense to me. To be clear, I think there is an appropriate time and place for safe queens (I own some safe queens), but categorically, a new watch isn't the time and place in my book.

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to purchase.
I got into watches first, then after being in a career (funeral directing) and as a part owner of my firm, realized that, while I enjoy my vocation (I'm blessed to do what I do) I want to get away from work sometime. I want to retire, be financially free and independent. And be at that point when I can enjoy it. If you are an owner of your own business, you know the life is work and work is life is how it is for a while. My business partner is a 78 year funeral director who never had children and can't be happy unless he is working. I appreciate my career and the rewards of what it gives me, I also want to do other things while I'm young enough to do so. So, I'm not financially strapped by any means, it's that I'm fighting the fact that I actually can afford the purchase, yet that investing $7k in 20 years at 6% (average) compound interest is $22,000.

We are disciplined to pay the mortgage off fast (5 years left) and that's without having to give up my watches. We don't take vacations and I don't have hobbies (work is my hobby) and the disease of watch appreciation. My spouse doesn't care if I own a Sub or my current collection, it's just that I feel I need to keep within that "collection value." As a budget constraint. I follow Mr Money Mustache, he would say no, but he also would say have fun along the way. Since my fun is watches, to the FI person it doesn't make since, but as my fun it does.

So.... After such a long explanation, I guess the Doxa or mm300 would disappoint compared to when I do but a SubC and then would feel compelled to sell the other watches I collected along the way.

#20 ·
I even had a thread on a Nomos club neomatik vs Rolex OP. And a "most ethically made watch" or a Wartime watch that was the most quality for the price, it was a confusing thread that dealt mostly with which brand uses the most fair labor and sourced materials. The common answer is usually, just buy a Sub now, flip the collection of I have to, just get it now. And they won't be any cheaper than today. (Kind of like building a home, materials only cost more in the future.)

I know this should be focused on my topic, but I guess, if I hold to the watch collecting philosophy that unless I own a Sub, I just have a bunch of watches (not a collection) then I should get a Sub since I can afford it (on paper). Even if I don't feel comfortable wearing it all the time, but for when I feel like it. I always think the worst will happen, which is poor thinking and a sign of lack of faith.

If this is the case I know I could unload a Sub faster than a Doxa, or a mm300 or even my collection. I was hoping someone would say that the Doxa or mm300 beat the Rolex Submariner out of the water. I'm getting the impression that they don't. And won't make me happy.

#22 ·
I was hoping someone would say that the Doxa or mm300 beat the Rolex Submariner out of the water. I'm getting the impression that they don't. And won't make me happy.
I guess I have a different take on all of this. I have three Rolex divers that I've bought/acquired over the past 17 years. I started with a 16600 Sea Dweller, then received a 16610LV as a gift. My final one was a NOS 14060M (non-COSC) found at an independent Rolex AD that had just lost their AD status, so they were liquidating their inventory. With all of those pieces, that hold some sort of sentimental or fun memory, the truth is...I never wear them. I wear a DOXA Sub every day.

Why? To me they're simply more enjoyable to wear. The history is rich, they're rugged and well built, they're unique, and just sort of fun to look at. To me, it doesn't matter what they're worth, what I could sell them for, or how well they'll hold they're value. I like them because, as far as watches go, they make me happy and that's all that should really matter in this hobby.

#24 ·
So I'll layout some more thoughts. Again to promote discussion. (I'm not trying to be cynical or goad anyone to their choice of watch, only to get a better sense of finding what I want).

As per a few responses on this thread, along with just about every other thread question that I have posted, the Rolex Submariner will be my purchase, at the time I have the funds but am also mortgage free. (Personal finance is my other hobby, juxtaposed to quality watches). Referring to my previous post that I technically have the funds with flipping my collection and adding some cash I have. Yet, on the financial losses side of this "flipping", I'm losing on my Tudor and my Nomos. (In selling my Seikos and Squale I'm doing well on the flip). All purchased before my personal finance revelation.

While I've been lucky in having good basic financial basics like avoiding consumer debt and healthy savings, it's the freedom from mortgage and being independent from "having" to work that I should have pursued. I could have been "retired" by now.

Anyway, a major watch purchase of a $7k right now would be too much. I've already lost value on the black bay, (yet the ETA version on the second hand market seems to be creeping up.) But it's also a great watch and would make a good heirloom in the future. It doesn't have to be a Rolex to have been Dad's watch. If I got the new rivet bracelet and the Pelagos clasp it would be killer. By not flipping it, I'm not out anything. Once I've got the rest sold, I'm close to that $1800 range.

The other aspect that I haven't discussed is that I gravitate to the more 70s tool watch atheistic too. Since I have a Black Bay, and the dress watch Nomos Orion, which would compliment these in a 3 piece collection and be easily serviced. I know the mm300 gets lots of love as has been discussed, but I believe that I could take a Doxa Sharkhunter 1200T to my local watch maker and he could service it and check the gaskets. Could he get parts from Doxa? I know he would have to send a Seiko mm300 on to Seiko.

I guess what I'm asking now is, since I like the 70s vintage cool design of both the Doxa and the Seiko, which would compliment my Tudor black bay it a future Rolex Sub, and which would give me less hassle in servicing, knowing that the watchmaker closest to driving distance is 2 hours car drive away.

#26 ·
I guess what I'm asking now is, since I like the 70s vintage cool design of both the Doxa and the Seiko, which would compliment my Tudor black bay it a future Rolex Sub, and which would give me less hassle in servicing, knowing that the watchmaker closest to driving distance is 2 hours car drive away.
Personally, if I were you and were only going to have three watches in my collection, the MM300 wouldn't be unique enough.

#25 ·
Given the description of what you're looking for, I wouldn't buy a Doxa or a MM300. I'd buy an Omega 200M SHOM (166.0177). These are widely available at present assembled from genuine Omega parts in the same price range. They are not a throwback homage to a model with a significant dive history, they are a watch with a significant dive history (SHOM or Sham?: Omega's 200 meter diver from the 70's - worn&wound) and are serviceable by any decent watchmaker with an account at an Omega parts house or if you like Omega will service these at the factory. There is debate about whether they were offered from the factory in Destro crown orientation, but they can be put together this way, making them even more toolish and unique.

From a long term perspective, although I own throwback homage versions of Doxas (5000T) and Seikos (MM300), I only own them because I don't want to subject my originals, pre-Synchron 300T and 6159-7000 to regular wear. The opportunity with the SHOM in today's market is to not only buy a watch with real dive historic cred, but to buy one in NOS condition and to even buy the spare parts to restore it to original condition, so that after you subject it to decades of regular wear, you will have everything you need to economically restore it to original condition if you want to. This opportunity will not exist forever.

#27 ·
After my foray into the Buy Watches or Save for retirement thread, and me getting to papal on my view of Financial Independence, I am revisiting this decision. its actually interesting how two of my main topics of interest crossed paths on the watch forums. The other thread was more inline with the Jack Vogel and Vanguard forums, Bogel Heads. I have read the Money or Your Life, the Millionaire Next Door, 4 Pillars of Common Sense Investing, Stop Acting Rich, along with the principles of good stewardship outlined in my faith (but Im not proselytizing here), its just what I strive to do in order to find that "balance" that keeps getting thrown out daily by TV, talking heads, and even members on the forum.

But, rhetorically, why isn't seeking to be free from debt, have the enough wealth saved to go without a job for an extended period of time ( a year or more while seeking employment) and then enough invested to be job free as early as I and family can. Rolex Submariners and FI (financial independence) can go hand in hand to me, its just that the FI comes first and the Rolex Sub comes second. With my income (2 worker household) we can achieve this, being free from a mortgage in a few years, we drive used paid for cars, and have a I'm and owner in my own business. The reasons why I seek this is to help others, help my children, let my wife quit work and do what she wants if she wants to, and hopefully be salary free in my firm so that way I can give a job to someone like was done for me. A Rolex Submariner to me is a very expensive watch relative to my income. To own one makes me more financially fragile. The arguments of it being like cash may be true, but to me why not just have the cash and not risk loosing on the flip or having to flip. I have great faith that my family can weather dire economic circumstances, yet I've gone through the 2001 crash and the 2007-2008 crash, have parents that talked about the 1970s and being laid off a lot, and had Grandparents that all grew up in the Depression on a Farm. To just be talking about buying a $7-10,000 watch would be insanity to them, let alone a $2000 watch.

But... my covetous heart makes justifications.... a well made $2000 is still a great watch. The MM300 is always being compared to a Rolex Sub and touted as a viable alternative or replacement. Is mainly made by Japanese (maybe some Malaysian, I read that on here once) but mainly made by ethically paid workers, and is what the "CPI" inflation (that i get flamed about for usin) is adjusted to when you compare the $120 dollar Rolex Sub of the 1960s and early 70s or a 62mas of the same era, should cost in today's money. Tudor Black Bay is the true non luxury Submariner, yet is still a little into luxury territory. Its still stainless steel, has sapphire, and a top of the line movement that is either ETA Top Grade, or now Rolex spec'd In-house with free sprung balance. Since I have this watch and would like to add another using my enjoyment money that I set aside (my wife does too) to purchase another watch, I would like to try the mm300. It doesn't seem to lose much second hand if I flipped it and I may end up loving it. I could save and save for a Rolex Submariner, but I get to a point where I could have two great dive watches, the Tudor Black Bay and a MM300 for less than the SubC anyway. I know I wouldn't wear the SubC until I was Financially Independent anyway. I will save for that Rolex over time, and meanwhile scratch the fun side and try the mm300. Cull my existing collection (already sold a Sarb033 and a Squale 20 atoms) maybe keep the SKX007 but sell the 009, and replace them with the mm300. I like the way it looks better than the Doxa. Thank you all.

#28 ·
jalfreem,

I've been perusing most of your threads weighing and measuring the pursuit of a passionate, practical watch. Your reasoning resonates well with me.
I have much the same thoughts about Rolex Sub- beautiful, strong, storied, etc. But I just don't want to deal with the whole "Oh, a Rolex, is that real?" phenomenon. Plus the money involved is just plain stupid! I'm sorry, I know wealth is relative, but $7k for a watch? I have a hard enough time justifying ~2k for a MM300.
All that being said the watch I ended up choosing to fulfill the role of (semi) practical, elegant, one watch do-it-all, toolish, unique, heirloom worthy, etc, etc, etc is the MarineMaster 300! Mine should arrive tomorrow. I feel that the SBDX017 is the equal of the rolex Sub in most ways, is more unique in many ways, has passion, strength, and fairly importantly for me is somewhat under the radar.
In short-my recommendation is get a MM300!

#30 ·
It's hard to describe my irrational watch hobby vs my FI hobby. My job, which I apologize for droning all the time about, is 100% sporadic and "on call." As a funeral director, unless you are one, no one knows all that we do or the time commitment. It is actually quite normal "working" hours in that when we are busy, it seems to be 24/7 for a month or two, then when it's slow, it's agonizingly slow with nothing to do but catch up on insurance paper work. So, between working hours vs non working hours it evens out over a year. Some days I work 15 hours and others I may work 3. Yet I'm still on call and geographically tied down to within a few minutes from getting to the Funeral home to go out on a call. Since my hobby up until 2013 racing bicycles, I decided to quite riding all together after discovering Paleo diet and body weight exercising, and the time required to ride after work was eating into being a present father and husband. I chose the better father and husband. Never did my wife indicate it was a problem, I was just getting too worn out to do it all. Since my days are tied to the funeral home, my adventurous spirit gravitated to adventurous watches. I went from crazy cyclist to WIS.

After I knew the Rolex Sub was the one I gravitated too, I discover Financial Independence and that a guy like me could study it and hopefully achieve it. A SubC kind of cuts into FI funds a bit too much. Why FI for me and not a SubC now. Because I want to wear that SubC on beach somewhere some time, or take it up to Mt Baker or on the Appalachian trail, maybe on a fishing trip with my dad and my sons. And I can't do those things now, I can only get away when I'm no longer a Funeral Director. Hence the pursuit of FI.

I, along with my sister and a 78 year old founder of the firm are it for my firm. She and I are acquiring the firm from him. So, as a small business owner in a small town we do everything ourselves and are bootstrapping, trying to establish our brand within the already existing one. We are the millennials who work, like a lot of us out there who see what it takes to build something. We don't have the time to build a lifestyle brand, we are living a lifestyle brand, I am never not on the job, I'm always a funeral director representing my firm everywhere I go. This is why a lot of my posts and threads deal with the fear of wearing a Rolex for is social stigma as "luxury."

But through this neurotic process (as someone called it on a different thread) watch appreciation became a way to distract me a little and somewhat a hobby in scheming to budget for watches I like without messing with my FI goals. It's okay to have some play money in FI and my wife and I never live in depriving fun, just depriving things we don't need. So, collecting a few watches is okay with us. That's why the Rolex Sub is out for now. I can buy it and be done with it, but I can't have anything else. Being that I'd have to flip what I do have a Tudor Black bay and a Nomos, I would lose so much on the sales to not justify getting rid of two watches that I like on their own merits. The Tudor is a Submariner, just as capable of being a "desk diver" or "casket scratcher" in my work environment, as the Rolex. The Nomos is the subdued serious watch for more sartorial situations. And I can still afford one more, cool in my book, diver/spots watch to complement them. I have 2 sons and can gift them each a dive watch when the time comes (hopefully, all things considered, it might not work out, I'm a bit stoic). The Rolex Sub would be a depriving myself of enjoying the cool watches that are out there. It would be too babied by me until I was FI. Once FI comes, saving for one would be no problem and I wouldn't have to justify the purchase, because why would I ever need to sell it! These mm300s, Doxa, and maybe branch out to second hand Omega SMPs like a 2254 or even a SMPc.

Thanks for readying my journal post. This may not help you all, but it does me.

#31 · (Edited)
Hi Jalfreem,

I've enjoyed reading your posts over the past few months as you agonize over the decision of getting a Submariner versus buying lower-cost but still high-quality alternatives like a Doxa or an MM300. A couple of observations:

1. Being a disciple of Dave Ramsey and buying a luxury watch are simply incompatible. Dave would tell you to buy a Casio MDV106 and put the rest of the money into paying down your mortgage.

2. Customers of your funeral home will indeed notice your Rolex (its about the only brand non-watch enthusiast recognize as being "the best" and "very expensive") and will probably resent you for having what they believe to be such an ostentatious piece of jewelry on your wrist, which they figure will be at their expense in the prices you charge for services. It's the reason that in the 60s and 70s that doctors drove Buicks rather than more flashy Cadillacs or European makes -- they didn't want to flaunt their wealth.

3. No watch will satisfy you other than the Submariner. I can tell it by your posts and know that settling for lesser watches is always going to be suboptimal and won't end the yearning. If the Tudor didn't do it, a MM300 or 1200T certainly won't.

4. Believe it or not, an obsession with being debt-free and retiring early may not be the road to true happiness. My father was a child of the Great Depression and resolved to never be poor again in his life. He scrimped and saved his whole life working as a teacher with a very average income, but by the time he retired in the 1980s he was a millionaire. What did he do with all of his money after that? Nothing. He bought an inexpensive retirement home in Sun City, had one modest car, and within two years was diagnosed with cancer and died shortly after. No grand vacations, no luxury goods, no fine dining, no fancy entertainment -- he pretty much kept on living the same miserly lifestyle because that was all he knew before. I'm very sorry that he never got to enjoy his money but I think that what truly gave him happiness was just looking at his bank statements every month and seeing how much they had grown. The point is, there is a balance that should be maintained and that a maniacal drive to accumulate as much wealth as possible may not be the nirvana one thinks it is. It may give you solace to know that you have no debt whatsoever, but it does come at an interpersonal cost. As my father's child, I painfully learned that lesson when simple things like clothing were always purchased used, almost nightly screaming matches engaged over food not eaten ("there are people starving in India!" He would roar), and having to drive the family car without insurance because my father was too cheap to pay for it. He told us never to get in an accident and if we did, he told us to simply tell the police we didn't have any insurance and we'd be off the hook for any damages. I drove to high school in absolute fear that it would happen to me, but fortunately it never did. Don't get me wrong -- I loved my father and he was a good man -- but this obsession with accumulating (but never spending) money was a burden me and my brothers shared growing up.

My advice? Just get the Sub. Buy an inexpensive quartz watch to wear when you meet with customers. Wear the Sub when you're off-duty. Learn for yourself whether owning a Rolex is all you had dreamed of. I sincerely hope it does work out for you.

All opinions above respectfully submitted, of course.

#33 ·
If I had started in and bought the exact model of Rolex GMT I wanted about 15yrs ago I probably wouldn't have gone through as many watches as I have, and thus I would have saved money n the long run.

On the other hand, I now am a happy Doxa collector and have owned said GMT and quietly moved it along. Perhaps I would have been a "one watch guy" all those years ago and saved $$ but who knows. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.