Doxa 1200T (seed planted by The Grey NATO) or a Seiko mm300.
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Doxa 1200T (seed planted by The Grey NATO) or a Seiko mm300.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Doxa 1200T or Seiko mm300

Doxa has been on my mind since the Grey NATO guys reviewed the 50th anniversary model. I think the watches are "tool cool" and different than other divers. And the history. COSC 2824.

MM300, is cool in my book too. I have a 7.25 wrist and it's a flat wrist. I like this model a lot except for the lack of servicing easily and the reports of poor regulation. I know it's not regulated, but I know it can be as an 8l35. But I like my SKX 007 and its sometimes fast or slow depending on position.

I'll begin by stating I'm a waffler. I've posted a few threads, responded in others all in the attempt to better come to grips with my own watch tastes. I've recently made some philosophic posts on the failings of the "luxury" Swiss watch industry, to come away feeling that I'm not that into "luxury." Since luxury is subjective, to me it means money spent where I would miss the money more than my ability to enjoy the watch. I had once owned a Rolex Explorer 214270 that I didn't bond with and was always concerned about the possibility of loosing my "investment" scratching or damaging it, since I bought it partly for its value retention. I flipped into a Black bay and some cash. I plan on keeping the ETA Bay to see where second hand prices go, and possibly sell if the price is right. I should have just put the explorer in a safe and went on with my life. Except I found I like dive watches.

My new Grail had been a Submariner. But since I am admitting that I cannot afford one now nor in a position to lose it, I'm putting the Sub on the back burner for a while. I can afford a Submariner if I flipped out of all my watches, but I would have one watch and I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing that amount of money on my wrist at one time. Now, I and my wife, are comfortable with me owning and wearing a couple of quality $2k pieces if I want. If I lost a Doxa 1200T or a MM300 that would hurt, but not hurt financially.

So, of those who have one or both, what are your suggestions or views? I don't see them as status or luxury pieces, simply tough watches that are cool to me (like the Submariner). Either one I would like to own for as long as I can and would be in a collection along side a future Submariner purchase (as long as Rolex doesn't hit $10,000) that would be beyond my ability to justify.

As an aside. I think Tudor is being positioned into the new past Rolex of quality tool watch, and Rolex proper as the luxury brand that it's been trying to become.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd flip all your watches and get the Sub because you've stated that's what you really want. But I'd take the Doxa even though I love and owned the MM300. I didn't like the service hassles and the uncertain crown threading.

Last edited by liwang22; April 5th, 2017 at 23:48.

Re: Doxa 1200T (seed planted by The Grey NATO) or a Seiko mm300.

Oh and get insurance for your watches if you are so worried about loss

gaopa and Toothbras like this.

Name:  IMG_0164.JPG
Views: 591
Size:  1.74 MBName:  IMG_0294.JPG
Views: 595
Size:  1.64 MBName:  IMG_0325.JPG
Views: 594
Size:  1.48 MB

They are both great watches. If I had to choose only one I would pick the MM300. I like the Seiko philosophy of not letting the helium in therefore no need for the helium escape valve. The marine master is far more legible at a glance. The 1200T seems to be a scratch magnet. The overall feel when you handle them IMHO goes to the MM300 as well. I also sold my Sub and my Grand Seiko Diver and kept the MM300 over both of them. As far as accuracy the Doxa is about +3, the Seiko is +6, both are close enough for me. My Sub was +6 and my GS was less than +1. I love my Doxa and wear it as much as the Seiko, but if I had to choose only one it would be the Seiko. The finish, the smooth bezel rotation, the legibility, and overall quality and feel of the MM300 is hard to beat.

I do wish I could find a BOR for the Seiko, I really like the Doxa bracelet.
    Last edited by Laso1; April 6th, 2017 at 01:16.
    jalfreem likes this.

I have both as well. The 300 anniversary pro Doxa and the Sbdx001 Seiko.

In terms of build quality I rate them rather evenly. Both have beautiful dials and case construction.

They wear a lot differently though. The Seiko doesn't wear huge, but it's thick. Some will find the 20mm lug width too small for its overall size. It's not a watch that will fit under a cuff easily. The Doxa is thin and wears a lot smaller than the Seiko. If you get the Sharkhunter (or Searambler), I feel it's more versatile because of its thinner case.

I'm a sucker for cushion cases, so I'd probably lean towards Doxa if I had to pick one, but both are long term keepers for me.
    Laso1 likes this.
    Instagram: WatchNRolla

If a sub is what you want, nothing else will really satisfy. you might be happy with a doxa or mm300 for a month or two, but not long term. Just flip everything, get the submariner, and get insurance. I have one and I think the insurance (added to my homeowners policy) is like $60 a year or something
    liwang22, Vlciudoli and jp.vegas like this.

Thank you Toothbras. I realize a sub is what I want, but I should have not mentioned my taste for a Sub. I go back and forth on it so much, I am putting off that purchase until I can actually afford it. By that I mean Dave Ramsey style. Not everyone agrees with this, but for myself and family, we have financial goals we are trying to reach. I have enough "play" budget during this time to excuse a Doxa, Seiko mm300, or even a used omega smp, to go along with my Tudor. 2 watch for my two sons later in life. Once we reach our goals, I'm free to purchase what I want. That may be a decade, but I didn't know about a Rolex Sub until 4 years ago when I started looking at watch blogs.

I can wait for a sub. I'm looking for something cool and iconic I can wear around in this season of my life.

Or, if I were to go full gazelle speed on the mortgage, I really should sell my watches and wear a G Shock until it's paid off. Then I can get back into the hobby. As someone told me, they are just watches. Yet it's kind of my only "extra" thing I do now, which is geek on them.

I know that I wouldn't wear the Sub like I do my other watches, and it would be a safe queen only to be worn occasionally. To me, what's the point of that? It becomes a waste of money. If I'm not going to wear it, why buy it in the first place.
    I wear my SKX doing everything. Work, shoveling snow, mowing the yard. I don't care if I trash it by accident. I could get insurance but I feel that if I have to insure a watch, than it costs to much for me at this point in my life.

But back to focusing only on the Doxa or MM300. Any major negative issues with either one? liwanh22 mentioned the service hassle and the crown threading. Service issues I think are had by most major brands at some point. I'm 2 hours away from a good watch maker/ Rolex AD anyway, and can't exactly drive there on a whim. Any Seiko has to go to NJ or to Japan. Doxa seems like they are doing well on the customer service side to address issues that come up. I'm in a no mans land when it comes to ADs and any watch maker that can even service an ETA 2824, let along a 3135 or a 8l35.

I would just keep the SKX
    simonp67 likes this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information