How many of you Doxa guys dive ? - Page 9

View Poll Results: Are you a diver

Voters
263. This poll is closed
  • No way !

    21 7.98%
  • Never tried but I'd like to

    61 23.19%
  • Already tried a couple of time

    40 15.21%
  • Regular and Certified diver

    118 44.87%
  • Diving Instructor

    9 3.42%
  • Professional diver

    14 5.32%
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: How many of you Doxa guys dive ?

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 160
  1. #81
    DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,671

    Re: How many of you Doxa guys dive ?

    Quote Originally Posted by .45FMJoe View Post
    Currently working on my Advanced Open Water. My dive master just checks off all the required dives I've done, when I finish them all I'll take the test and he will give me a card. He likes that method better than a weekend crash course and a couple of dives.
    Congrats working on you AOW.

    One thing...are the required dives that your dive master checks off, supervised by that dive master?
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

  2. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    southern california
    Posts
    210

    Re: How many of you Doxa guys dive ?

    Certified OPEN WATER by NAUI / YMCA / County Of Los Angeles. Took a ReBreather course for SWAT, but it wasn't a certified course. Dove a lot, then blew out my knee @ work. Haven't SCUBA'd since 5 knee surgeries. Vacationed on the Big Island and snorkled it with family summer06. Goin to Maui June 08, more snorkle family fun. Once the kids are older, they will certify and I'll be back on track. Having 11 dive watches is cool, but the whole DOXA experience is motivating me to get back in the vest...

  3. #83
    Member ebnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    793

    Re: How many of you Doxa guys dive ?

    I would love to get into diving, but I had a major ear surgery when I was younger and have many complications with that ear. I can hardly deal with the water pressure @ 8ft let alone 30 or more.
    "Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies"

  4. #84
    Member T Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)
    Posts
    11,741

    Re: How many of you Doxa guys dive ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ebnash View Post
    I would love to get into diving, but I had a major ear surgery when I was younger and have many complications with that ear. I can hardly deal with the water pressure @ 8ft let alone 30 or more.
    While I've no idea of your specific situation, I'd like to relate a story (if it does nothing for you, perhaps it might help someone else realize a dream they thought unattainable).

    Twenty some years ago, when I was an active Great Lakes wreck diver, I became a semi-regular on a converted 46 foot steel fishing tug, the Miss Port Sanilac. One day during a surface interval, I was discussing diving with the captain. He'd been chartering for divers for three years now (I'd been on his first charter), and for salvage work when he could.

    Said he'd always admired diving, was wishing he could do it, but he had an ear problem. When pressed a bit, he stated he just couldn't take the pressure, that his ears ached even at a 9 foot depth in a pool. Said he just didn't understand how we could stand the pressure of deeper dives (his charters ranged from 60 to 130 feet). It turns out, he'd never been taught to equalize the pressure, had heard divers talking of equalizing, but was unaware what they even meant by it.

    Just wanted to throw that in, if anyone has a condition they feel prevents them from trying this wonderful experience, perhaps a consultation with a physician versed in diving physiology would be in order, just to be sure. It'd be a shame to miss out on something you wanted to try, over a misunderstanding.

    To find a Doctor who knows diving physiology, I'd try two sources. The local dive shops often have a name (many times an ENT specialist), or possibly you might get a referral from the Divers Alert Network (D.A.N.). Just a thought, for anyone reading who'd wished they could, thought they couldn't, but were not certain.
    Regards, T Bone.

    ______________________
    "A decent man must have a decent watch." Albert Falco


    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

  5. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    13

    Re: How many of you Doxa guys dive ?

    Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    Congrats working on you AOW.

    One thing...are the required dives that your dive master checks off, supervised by that dive master?
    Yup, I only dive with him, he's a great dive master. I just found his shop last summer. I had not been diving in about a year, so he invited me to tag along on a freshwater checkout dive in a spring here in FL (Blue Grotto to be exact). Ten minutes in the water and I was moving around like a fish, totally comfortable in my gear. He noticed, and when he went up to bring down the next student, he signaled for me to hang out with the two students at the 25 foot platform and keep an eye on them. That was cool, and ever since then I only dive with him.

    Last month I tagged along on saltwater checkout dives in the Gulf, and while he was doing the skills another AOW student and I practiced our compass skills around three wrecks (only ~45 feet deep). One overweight and out of shape gentleman in the class freaked out when they went under, and immediately came back up. The student started swimming back towards the boat but was probably ~100 yards away. I had literally just rolled off the boat with my second tank when the dive master yelled at me to help the guy. I swam my butt off, and when I got to him he was just floating on his back and panicking. So I grabbed him and hauled him to the boat. That right there made me realize you just never know when those basic skills will come in handy. After the dive the dive master said he is glad I tag along on his checkout dives.

  6. #86
    DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,671

    Re: How many of you Doxa guys dive ?

    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    While I've no idea of your specific situation, I'd like to relate a story (if it does nothing for you, perhaps it might help someone else realize a dream they thought unattainable).

    Twenty some years ago, when I was an active Great Lakes wreck diver, I became a semi-regular on a converted 46 foot steel fishing tug, the Miss Port Sanilac. One day during a surface interval, I was discussing diving with the captain. He'd been chartering for divers for three years now (I'd been on his first charter), and for salvage work when he could.

    Said he'd always admired diving, was wishing he could do it, but he had an ear problem. When pressed a bit, he stated he just couldn't take the pressure, that his ears ached even at a 9 foot depth in a pool. Said he just didn't understand how we could stand the pressure of deeper dives (his charters ranged from 60 to 130 feet). It turns out, he'd never been taught to equalize the pressure, had heard divers talking of equalizing, but was unaware what they even meant by it.

    Just wanted to throw that in, if anyone has a condition they feel prevents them from trying this wonderful experience, perhaps a consultation with a physician versed in diving physiology would be in order, just to be sure. It'd be a shame to miss out on something you wanted to try, over a misunderstanding.

    To find a Doctor who knows diving physiology, I'd try two sources. The local dive shops often have a name (many times an ENT specialist), or possibly you might get a referral from the Divers Alert Network (D.A.N.). Just a thought, for anyone reading who'd wished they could, thought they couldn't, but were not certain.
    And to take it a step further, here's an article on different techniques that one may use to aid in middle-ear, pressure equalization.

    http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/MEbaro.html

    Basically, if you don't have physical problems such as nasal polyps, serious allergies, acute infections or some other affliction that would hinder the muscles of the soft palate, then you should be able to equalize the pressure in the middle ear. It may take some time to condition these soft palate muscles to efficiently open the Eustachian tube, but it can be done.

    Find an equalization technique that works and practice it as often as possible. Driving down the road, equalize. Talking on the phone, equalize. You're trying to make those muscles as strong as possible and the only way to do that, is to "work them out". Just like if you were in the gym, trying to build other muscles. You may find one day that the muscles are so efficient, that you equalize and don't even realize you're doing it.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

  7. #87
    Member ebnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    793

    Re: How many of you Doxa guys dive ?

    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    While I've no idea of your specific situation, I'd like to relate a story (if it does nothing for you, perhaps it might help someone else realize a dream they thought unattainable).

    Twenty some years ago, when I was an active Great Lakes wreck diver, I became a semi-regular on a converted 46 foot steel fishing tug, the Miss Port Sanilac. One day during a surface interval, I was discussing diving with the captain. He'd been chartering for divers for three years now (I'd been on his first charter), and for salvage work when he could.

    Said he'd always admired diving, was wishing he could do it, but he had an ear problem. When pressed a bit, he stated he just couldn't take the pressure, that his ears ached even at a 9 foot depth in a pool. Said he just didn't understand how we could stand the pressure of deeper dives (his charters ranged from 60 to 130 feet). It turns out, he'd never been taught to equalize the pressure, had heard divers talking of equalizing, but was unaware what they even meant by it.

    Just wanted to throw that in, if anyone has a condition they feel prevents them from trying this wonderful experience, perhaps a consultation with a physician versed in diving physiology would be in order, just to be sure. It'd be a shame to miss out on something you wanted to try, over a misunderstanding.

    To find a Doctor who knows diving physiology, I'd try two sources. The local dive shops often have a name (many times an ENT specialist), or possibly you might get a referral from the Divers Alert Network (D.A.N.). Just a thought, for anyone reading who'd wished they could, thought they couldn't, but were not certain.
    T-Bone,
    Thanks for your input, I will surely look into this as my wife also has the desire to dive and has never pursued it because of my limitations. Really appreciate the info
    "Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies"

  8. #88
    Member ebnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    793

    Re: How many of you Doxa guys dive ?

    Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    And to take it a step further, here's an article on different techniques that one may use to aid in middle-ear, pressure equalization.

    http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/MEbaro.html

    Basically, if you don't have physical problems such as nasal polyps, serious allergies, acute infections or some other affliction that would hinder the muscles of the soft palate, then you should be able to equalize the pressure in the middle ear. It may take some time to condition these soft palate muscles to efficiently open the Eustachian tube, but it can be done.

    Find an equalization technique that works and practice it as often as possible. Driving down the road, equalize. Talking on the phone, equalize. You're trying to make those muscles as strong as possible and the only way to do that, is to "work them out". Just like if you were in the gym, trying to build other muscles. You may find one day that the muscles are so efficient, that you equalize and don't even realize you're doing it.
    Sub,
    Thanks to you as well. Appreciate all the info and the time you took to write it out here, Hopefully others will benefit from this as well!
    "Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies"

  9. #89
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    212

    Re: How many of you Doxa guys dive ?

    Not only do I want to learn to fly but I have always wanted to learn to dive as well. I live in North Texas and there are not a whole of places to dive so you essentially spend $300.00 for the privilege to put a diver down sticker on the back of your car.
    One of these days I'll ask for the diving lessons for Father's Day or birthday.
    Hidden Content

    SpecOpsWXGuy
    181CWX
    19thSFG(A)

    Doxa 750T Professional 4801/5000
    Marathon JSAR 2nd Generation
    Orsa Yellow 300m Monstrum
    Orsa Quartz 300m Lithium Sea Angler
    Bulova Oceanographer Snorkel 666
    Modified Seiko 6309
    Casio G-Shock DW-9052
    Casio G-Shock G-9100R

  10. #90
    DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,671

    Re: How many of you Doxa guys dive ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Nickerson View Post
    Not only do I want to learn to fly but I have always wanted to learn to dive as well. I live in North Texas and there are not a whole of places to dive so you essentially spend $300.00 for the privilege to put a diver down sticker on the back of your car.
    One of these days I'll ask for the diving lessons for Father's Day or birthday.
    Doug,

    I live about 180 miles due East of you, and I dive all of the time. You have to travel, man.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Sub 750 v Seamaster Pro Review
      By colinmet in forum DOXA S.A.
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: May 15th, 2006, 19:32
    2. Replies: 2
      Last Post: April 26th, 2006, 21:11
    3. Replies: 4
      Last Post: March 9th, 2006, 16:59
    4. Replies: 6
      Last Post: February 24th, 2006, 01:26
    5. DOXA Forum Rules & Guidelines
      By Ernie Romers in forum DOXA S.A.
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: May 2nd, 2005, 16:12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    2006 copyright Montres DOXA S.A.