Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Rolex sub C vs Doxa 1200t

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rolex sub C vs Doxa 1200t

Perhaps an unfair comparison seeing as the former is about four times the price as the latter, however.....................
    After living with a Rolex for a year, I bought a 1200t Pro. Love the history of the watch, the association with real world divers, the design and all the rest that most go on about, which I wont regurgitate.

I will use the Doxa for holidays where wind surfing, jetski, muggings in the usual suspect countries, and the risk of loss is high. I'd hate to hand over the Rolex at knife point.

First impressions, the buckle on the Doxa is rubbish. Thin metal (sharp in some places), rattles in the clasp???? , truly horrible. The beads of rice bracelet however is comfortable to wear. The design allows a 3 dimension movement which makes it almost flexible. Old timers (pardon the pun) usually prefer a worn jubilee bracelet on their vintage Rolexs. While the slack is a drawback at sale time for the Rolex, the comfort level is high. One extra point about the Doxa is that the heft of the watch does not match the bracelet. I'd rather pay an extra hundred dollars or so for a bit more weight in the bracelet. This would go a long way to balancing the weight on the wrist. As it stands the watch is top heavy. Feels wrong.

I have the smaller dial, chosen on purpose. Small wrist and I'm one of those who prefers a smaller face. I understand why people like a large face. However it just reminds me of circus clowns. Big shoes, big pants, big nose, big mouth big watch. Having said that I probably should have got a larger face but wanted to stay true to the heritage. The shadow that is cast on the edges of the face of the watch from the case is super annoying. Doesn't happen on the black faced Rolex despite the fact that the face is set a bit deeper than the Doxa. Perhaps the black faced Doxa is better but I bought this watch because it represents the true history of this brand.

I realize that the domed crystal is probably required for pressure reasons, but the glare that is generated makes it real tough to read in some light situations. A big drawback. Also the date window is too small to be of any use. One likes to glance quickly at a watch for info, not try and focus for 5 seconds.

When I hand wind both the Doxa and Rolex, the Rollie sounds way more substantial. A perception perhaps, but it still feels a bit cheap on the Doxa movement. I haven't bothered yet to check the id of the movement.

The Doxa analogue is brilliantly done. Tells the time at a quick glance (depending on ambient light) and the minute markers give an accurate demarcation when the minute hand touches each mark on the dial. The second hand crosses the lume of each number for accurate reading due to the good contrast between the white of the nice and wide lume and the black of the second hand. All in all, easier to read than the Rolex especially in adverse conditions.
    Speaking of the lume, it leaves the Rolex in the dark. I dont need searchlight type brightness but the Doxa is super easy to read in the dark.

These are initial impressions and I don't want to fight with anyone. It's stupid. I'd like to hear opinions by intelligent people. I love all watches and collect many. All models and styles have someone who is fanatical about them. Next year I'll buy a Panerai for the same reason as the Doxa. Heritage, pedigree be it good or bad. So long as its interesting.

Regards to all watch lovers.

Vlad
    Rusty427 likes this.

Re: Rolex sub C vs Doxa 1200t

"Perhaps an unfair comparison seeing as the former is about four times the price as the latter"

There you go, that's the most important statement you made.
    Last edited by jswing; January 25th, 2012 at 15:52.

I really think a fairer comparison would be either the 5000t or the 1500t vs Rolex, since those are Doxa's "high end" models -- Particularly the COSC versions, which I think would compare far more favorably.

Quote Originally Posted by jswing View Post
    "Perhaps an unfair comparison seeing as the former is about four times the price as the latter"

There you go, that's the most important statement you made.
    +1

I think he's impaled in a wrong forum!!!

The world is my oyster and I like the taste of it!

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Quote Originally Posted by Vladthe Impaler View Post
    I don't want to fight with anyone.
    Does anyone else find that the people who say this are the ones who actually are looking for a "fight" the most?

I dunno. Maybe I just don't get it. Wouldn't be the first time. Buddy has two good watches he likes. Hope he enjoys them.

I think the comparison is weird, but whatever.
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

The OP has taken the time to type what I consider a fair and pretty well written comparison of two excellent watches. Let's not pile on him too much.

I'll take a slightly different stance than the other guys have so far...

While everyone, including the OP, are correct in pointing out the glaringly different price points of these two models, they both represent the current ubiquitous model of each brand. I'm no Rolex expert but when I think of the brand, I think of the Submariner with the Sub C being the current version. When I think of Doxa, a bright orange Sub Pro comes to mind, with the 1200T Pro being the current version that is most true to the iconic original.

Sure, it's fair to say that this is comparing apples to oranges, pun somewhat intended, but it's still fair to point out the differences. These discussions are part of why we are here.

Now as far as the criticisms go, they are subjective. I do not have a 1200T or Rolex Sub so I'll have base my observations on my larger 750T Pro and the many Rolex Subs that I've handled and lusted after during the last ten years or so..

The BOR bracelet on mine seems to balance well as far as the weight goes. I believe that the 750T and the 1200T use the same bracelet so I'm just not having the same experience as the OP. My buckle does not rattle but I have handled enough Rolex's, or is it Rolexi?, to know that the bracelets and clasps that they use are known to be substandard at that price point. That seems to be common knowledge. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I have never noticed any issues with shadows on the dial. Of course, my 750T dial is larger and the crystal is flat so I don't have much to add to this one. Same goes for the glare.

Both the 1200T and the 750T use the same movement so I'll assume that the date wheel is the same and by extension the date window. The size is not an issue for me. I do not think that increasing the size would add enough value to offset the balance of the dial layout. This is purely subjective and YMMV.

I agree with the OP's opinion of the dial\hand layout. They are excellently executed and quite easy to read. Personally, I find the black hands on orange dial to be far more readable than any Rolex Sub including both the Mercedes hands and the vintage Mil Sub hands. Others may disagree and that's cool. The same goes for the lume which is not a Rolex strong point.

For the money spent, I think that it's hard to argue against the value of what you are getting from Doxa vs. what you pay. Comparing a Doxa to a Rolex Sub only reaffirms this point to me.

Again, I'm basing my opinions on what I have and have seen in person. I'm sure we have many forum members with both the 1200T and Sub C in their watch boxes. What are your experiences?

RS
    Last edited by Rusty_Shakleford; January 25th, 2012 at 21:43. Reason: Can't Spell.

Follow Me

Well, RS, you're kinder than I. I actually started to respond to the OP's points, but decided it wasn't worth my time, because statements like" Doxa buckles are rubbish" and suggesting that people that like big watches are clowns are IMO statements of a troll and someone just looking to elicit negative attention.

And as hidden by leaves said: "Does anyone else find that the people who say this are the ones who actually are looking for a "fight" the most? "

But to address one of your questions: the bracelet of the Rolex Sub C is a HUGE improvement over their previous bracelets. I don't have the current Sub C,but have worn one, and have owned several of the previous generation subs. The previous gen did have a very flimsy bracelet, which did rattle. I do have a 1200t, and the bracelet is better (IMO)than the previous subs (because of the solid end links if nothing else) but not as good as the current sub C. But it's extremely comfortable, and doesn't feel top heavy to me at all.

I won't take the time to try to compare each aspect of each watch,because to me it doesn't make sense to compare a $2K watch with an $8K watch. Bottom line is they're both great watches, and I hope to have a sub in my collection again alongside my Doxas at some point. I agree with your point that Doxa is a great value. The difference in price is far greater than the difference in quality.
    Rusty427 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jswing View Post
    The difference in price is far greater than the difference in quality.
    Well said. I stand corrected on the Rolex bracelet. Thanks for the info.

Honestly, I'm not that kind but I felt he made enough good points to warrant a real response. As far as the troll question, I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong. Perhaps Vlad will be a valuable contributing member of the Doxa forum...time will tell.

RS

Follow Me

OzO

The stamped clasp is rubbish IMO, it's the one thing that I do not like about my 1200T Pro. Everything else is... Perfect

DOXA! PLEASE MAKE A RATCHETING CLASP FOR THE 1200T! That is all
    Rusty427 and my beat rate like this.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Insert clever and/or deep and meaningful philosophical quote here

Well said Rusty, I found the OP's comparison refreshingly honest and bias free.

That is what I like about Doxa, it can take it to Rolex, it shares history and credibility with the Submariner/Seadweller and has always been a more affordable alternative, while being a respectable rival.

I often see Rolex wearers eyeing of my orange Sub, with a knowing acknowledgement.

Neither are perfect, but I like both, and with a Doxa you are likely to be the only one amongst many, Which IMHO makes Doxa special.

rusty

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Shakleford View Post
    The OP has taken the time to type what I consider a fair and pretty well written comparison of two excellent watches. Let's not pile on him too much.

I'll take a slightly different stance than the other guys have so far...

While everyone, including the OP, are correct in pointing out the glaringly different price points of these two models, they both represent the current ubiquitous model of each brand. I'm no Rolex expert but when I think of the brand, I think of the Submariner with the Sub C being the current version. When I think of Doxa, a bright orange Sub Pro comes to mind, with the 1200T Pro being the current version that is most true to the iconic original.

Sure, it's fair to say that this is comparing apples to oranges, pun somewhat intended, but it's still fair to point out the differences. These discussions are part of why we are here.

Now as far as the criticisms go, they are subjective. I do not have a 1200T or Rolex Sub so I'll have base my observations on my larger 750T Pro and the many Rolex Subs that I've handled and lusted after during the last ten years or so..

The BOR bracelet on mine seems to balance well as far as the weight goes. I believe that the 750T and the 1200T use the same bracelet so I'm just not having the same experience as the OP. My buckle does not rattle but I have handled enough Rolex's, or is it Rolexi?, to know that the bracelets and clasps that they use are known to be substandard at that price point. That seems to be common knowledge. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I have never noticed any issues with shadows on the dial. Of course, my 750T dial is larger and the crystal is flat so I don't have much to add to this one. Same goes for the glare.

Both the 1200T and the 750T use the same movement so I'll assume that the date wheel is the same and by extension the date window. The size is not an issue for me. I do not think that increasing the size would add enough value to offset the balance of the dial layout. This is purely subjective and YMMV.

I agree with the OP's opinion of the dial\hand layout. They are excellently executed and quite easy to read. Personally, I find the black hands on orange dial to be far more readable than any Rolex Sub including both the Mercedes hands and the vintage Mil Sub hands. Others may disagree and that's cool. The same goes for the lume which is not a Rolex strong point.

For the money spent, I think that it's hard to argue against the value of what you are getting from Doxa vs. what you pay. Comparing a Doxa to a Rolex Sub only reaffirms this point to me.

Again, I'm basing my opinions on what I have and have seen in person. I'm sure we have many forum members with both the 1200T and Sub C in their watch boxes. What are your experiences?

RS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information