Thread: Vintage gold DOXA question :)

Vintage gold DOXA question :)

hello guys !!

this is my first post here - so I am a newbie ... :)

to make long story short: this watch belonged to my Grandfather - after He died my Aunt got it...
    now - Aunt want to sell this watch - I want to buy it (yeah. I know.. buying from family sucks) because I dont want this watch to go to stranger - things like that should stay with family.
    problem is that Aunt priced this watch (thru jeweler) at $700 - its quite a lot I believe - altough watch is in good working condition.
    what can You guys tell me about this watch by the serial numbers ?? when was it made ?? what this modell is called.. and aprox value of it ???

I know I shouldnt discuss a price when family memorabilia are beein sold - but I dont want to look like idiot paying every price my aunt will demand

:thanks
    cheers !
    mike !
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by kuligow; March 11th, 2006 at 08:17.

Re: Vintage gold DOXA question :)

Hi Kuligow and welcome! Unfortunately there is no data base available for most of Doxa's vintage dress watches, so there is no definite way to tell when it was made or what its market value would be. Checking the listings on ebay may give you some idea, if you happen to see one similar to it, but that's a long shot at best. Some of those vintage pieces used very high end movements. If yours has one, plus the fact it is a gold case, I can see how a jeweler would place such a high value on it.

Sorry but that's all I know. Good luck with your Aunt!

Paul
    Doxa Ad Vitam !

Metropolitan San Juan, Puerto Rico, West Indies, Caribbean.

This is my opinion....

Doxa's like this one are around 245.00 to 400.00 on collectors market to the public. As family memorabilia and sentimental value you just have to add a premium to the price, if Grandma is asking 700.00 go for it since you will hold to a family heirloom, also you should get some sort of discount if you are a direct descendant by blood or get from Grandma a payment plan. Thats my best advice since i have seen many of this scenario's and people regret later not capitalizing at the opportunity, And believe me this is not your Grandma telling you thru someone else Forum ID. Regards
    Peter Burgos Vega,MFT,LPC,Psy.Org
    San Juan , Puerto Rico
    Doxa T-Graph 600 199/250 2005 Ltd Ed,45mm
    Breitling Chrono-Shark Automatic, 45mm (To be Deliver)
    Rolex Submariner COSC Ref 16800
    Tissot Sovereing 18k Gold COSC, 40mm
    1967 Revue Skeleton Watch, 42mm
    1962 Louvic Flip-Coin Watch, 40mm
    1968 Vulcain Cricket Alarm, 39mm

I agree with Peter. The watch is probably worth about 250-400 dollars on Ebay. I just did a quick Ebay search and found 3-4 that were very similar 14k and 18k Rose and Yellow Gold. The only one getting any bids was at 210.00 with one hour to go. All the rest with starting bids of 299.00-399.00, no bids, all closing within a day or two.

Frankly, I believe the jeweler over appraised the watch. He was probably using one of those watch valuation books that are notorious for inflated values. Also, he may have been under the impression that she was wanting an "insurance" appraisal. The correct way would have been "what would you give me for this watch", or "what can I realistically get for this watch"? It looks to be in nice condition and would look wonderful on a nice black or brown alligator or lizard strap with Gold buckle. If you don't buy it she is going to be in for a big surprise when she takes it back to the same jeweler and tries to sell it!! I would venture a guess that he might offer her 200-250 dollars for it.

Your dilemma is simply, do you want your Grandfathers watch enough to pay a 100% premium? If it were me, I would buy the watch and be happy that I had some tangible connection to my grandfather. The extra 300 dollars will soon be forgotten, but you will always have the watch. Pass on it now, and you will regret it later. The sad part of this whole story is why the aunt is selling it at all, she should give it to you if you are the grandson who wanted the watch. But such is life within the American family.
    Divers - Pre Sub Doxa 300m Dive Watch - Sub 300T Professional (US Divers) -Heroic 18 Bronze Diver - Ocean7 LM-7 Ploprof - Ocean7 LM-7 Plorof Pro Titanium -Rolex 1665 SD-Rolex 1680 -Rolex 16610 Submariner -"- Tudor 9411/0 Snowflake/ Blue Dial - MKII Stingray 60 - MKII Kingston Gilt/non date - MKII Kingston MKII Gilt/Date
    Others- Rolex GMT 16750 - IWC Calatrava - Ocean7 LM-5 GMT- Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde
    Myla's Favorite's Doxa Sub 200 Coralline, Omega Seamaster 120 - Rolex Datejust 18k/SS - Chronosport Panther - Maurice Lacroix - Omega 14k Mesh - Tag Heuer TT Aquaracer

Gentleman !! thank You for input !
    I also went over ebay to look around - and prices vary in this $200-400 range.

I guess I will follow You advice Guys - in the lot after my grandfather there are two more watches (1900 gold pocket Movado and ladys gold pocket "Qte BOUTE" - never seen that brand)

so I will just pay for all and have it done...

:thanks

cheers !
    mike
    Cheers !Mike !

SEIKO Chronograph,
    BREITLING Superocean Chrono
    OMEGA Planet Ocean

Thread Information