What would my perfect doxa look like?
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: What would my perfect doxa look like?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What would my perfect doxa look like?

So after seeing the 50th anniversary and the 800Ti separetly, I may have modified my view on what my perfect Doxa would be.

I still want it to be a tool watch, but frankly, it does not need to be more than 300m waterproof. The depth rating arms race is ridiculous and akin to the 50 jewel movements of the 1960's, of which 33 of the jewels were decorative only.

I don't need or want an HRV. It adds needless cost to the watch and is only another point of failure for water resistance. I spent 10 years working in submersibles (submarines), all that time I wore an Omega SMP with a manual HRV, but I can't remember EVER remembering to activate it. We didn't use saturation gas, which was likely a factor, but I never lost a crystal and apart from aesthetics I found it useless. If I didn't need it, the very vast majority of people wanting a daily driver won't need one either.

I REALLY like the slim-ness of the anniversary 300 case, and while the domed crystal is cool, on my perfect watch it would be more of a smooth dome like a vintage 300T.

I also really prefer the individual beads of rice bracelet on the anniversary (I don't like the fake BoR on the 1200T), but I would prefer it not to extend wider than the lug width of the watch - in other words, it should be more like the 1967 BoR bracelet, but with solid links and only a slight taper of maybe 1mm down to a clasp modelled after the 1500T clasp.

I'm also really warming up to Titanium. When I'm at the office I wear a suit, and although I want to wear a Doxa in the office rotation, most watches have excessive heft for a job where I do a lot of writing with my watch on (I'm a lefty and I wear my watch on my left wrist). I also want it to slide easily under a shirt cuff.

So all that said, my perfect Doxa would have:

1) A case the size of the Sub 300 anniversary (42.5mm)
    2) Made of Titanium brushed to look like stainless (think M31 or 800Ti look)
    3) Metric depth ratings like the Carribean since nobody but the USA uses feet anymore. (I'm Canadian and work in Europe frequently)
    4) No HRV
    5) Solid end links
    6) hybrid bracelet with the dimensions of the 1967 BoR, but with solid beads and the 1500T clasp mechanism
    7) shallow domed sapphire crystal for a 300T look, making the watch a little thinner than the Sub 300 anniversary.
    8) Possibly Tritium lume. Why? Because superluminova is hard to see near the end of a 2 hour movie in a theatre. My tritium-dialled watches still glow just fine.
    9) Ship logo (not the Jenny logo)
    10) Vintage style crown with DOXA signature
    11) COSC ETA movement, not the "compromise" of the A10.
    12) Offered with a Divingstar dial, mainly because I have orange Doxa watches already and the yellow dials are nice and also uncommon.

Such a watch should also work as a great tool watch for 99% of the world's divers, but is far more suited to daily wear for a broader spectrum of watch wearers.

What's your ideal Doxa design and why?
    Time In likes this.

Re: What would my perfect doxa look like?

Is your list in order of importance?

Quote Originally Posted by Seikologist View Post
    Is your list in order of importance?
    No, not really. If I were to list in order, I think it would be:

1) A case the size of the Sub 300 anniversary (42.5mm)
    6) hybrid bracelet with the dimensions of the 1967 BoR, but with solid beads and the 1500T clasp mechanism
    7) shallow domed sapphire crystal for a 300T look, making the watch a little thinner than the Sub 300 anniversary.
    5) Solid end links
    2) Made of Titanium brushed to look like stainless (think M31 or 800Ti look)
    11) COSC ETA movement, not the "compromise" of the A10.
    4) No HRV
    3) Metric depth ratings like the Carribean since nobody but the USA uses feet anymore. (I'm Canadian and work in Europe frequently)
    12) Offered with a Divingstar dial, mainly because I have orange Doxa watches already and the yellow dials are nice and also uncommon.
    8) Possibly Tritium lume. Why? Because superluminova is hard to see near the end of a 2 hour movie in a theatre. My tritium-dialled watches still glow just fine.
    9) Ship logo (not the Jenny logo)
    10) Vintage style crown with DOXA signature
    Time In likes this.

I do agree with most of it, onlybthe COSC certificate is not important to me, and also the Divingstar because I already own one.

Enviado desde mi HUAWEI VNS-L31 mediante Tapatalk

Same here. Pretty much agree with everything, but with different priorities. 8), 7), 4), 5), 6), 11), 1), 9), 10), 3), 12), 2).
    Time In likes this.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Interestingly, despite learning to dive in Canada, I still think in feet when diving. I learned the tables in feet. And I have my dive computer set to feet.
    Daily Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Fenix 3; Tissot PRS200

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Interestingly, despite learning to dive in Canada, I still think in feet when diving. I learned the tables in feet. And I have my dive computer set to feet.
    I think it's an age thing. I'm old enough to have learned both systems in school. Now the Canadian schools tend to focus on metric. When I dive in Canada or US, it's in feet. Caribbean or elsewhere? Meters. Probably I use meters more often and most dive gear favors meters these days, it seems.

I dove and still dive allover the Caribbean and everything is in feet. In the Pacific is different, even thou in Truk Lagoon for instance, I had no problem with feet.
    Seams to me that where US has influence feet is the way to go! So Doxa keep on making the bezel in feet.

Michael
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    The world is my oyster and I like the taste of it!

As a small manufacturer who makes bezels in both units (witness the 1200T series where the Caribbean model is metric), maybe they could offer both as an option?

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Quote Originally Posted by MTJO View Post
    I dove and still dive allover the Caribbean and everything is in feet. In the Pacific is different, even thou in Truk Lagoon for instance, I had no problem with feet.
    Seams to me that where US has influence feet is the way to go! So Doxa keep on making the bezel in feet.

Michael
    I suspect there's a large historical piece there too. I think some Doxas has meters on their bezel, but most I believe were in feet. Especially back in the 60s.
    Daily Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Fenix 3; Tissot PRS200

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information