Thread: Valjoux 7750 running super fast, need help!

Valjoux 7750 running super fast, need help!

I have a Hammy Khaki chrono auto that is about 3 years old and has started to run extremely fast, gaining better than an hour over night. Also I noticed that when it is hand wound I can feel some binding and think it is also turning the rotor when it gets fully wound.

I know I can't service this myself and was hoping that I could get some ideas as to what the problem night be and see what recommendations you guys would have as to where to get it serviced with out getting fleeced.

I only paid $380 for the watch new and really don't want to sink $400-500 in to it getting it serviced, if I can possibly help it.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

Re: Valjoux 7750 running super fast, need help!

Is there any chance that the watch has recently been exposed to a strong magnetic field (speakers, CRT, etc)?

If the movement has become magnetized, it could explain the sudden speed-up.

Take it to your nearest watchmaker and ask to demagnetize. If it does not help take it to watchmaker familiar with 7750 movement and ask to clean, lubricate and adjust. This should not cost you more than 50-100$

Quote Originally Posted by normunds View Post
    Take it to your nearest watchmaker and ask to demagnetize. If it does not help take it to watchmaker familiar with 7750 movement and ask to clean, lubricate and adjust. This should not cost you more than 50-100$
    I don't think it would have been exposed to any strong magnetic fields, but who knows I guess. I have been looking for a local watch repair shop and haven't found any that don't ship it off somewhere else, or just want to do a complete overhaul for big bucks, so I was hoping someone would have a good recommendation as to where to go or send it.

Quote Originally Posted by chili dip View Post
    I have a Hammy Khaki chrono auto that is about 3 years old and has started to run extremely fast, gaining better than an hour over night. Also I noticed that when it is hand wound I can feel some binding and think it is also turning the rotor when it gets fully wound.

I know I can't service this myself and was hoping that I could get some ideas as to what the problem night be and see what recommendations you guys would have as to where to get it serviced with out getting fleeced.

I only paid $380 for the watch new and really don't want to sink $400-500 in to it getting it serviced, if I can possibly help it.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated and thanks in advance!
    I had a watch gaining sick time recently, did something proposed by member V76:

Hold the watch, caseback side, up against a CRT monitor.

Degauss a couple of times.

My watch (nearly instantly, no lie) began to work perfectly once again. I have on today (Victorinox Ambassador XL hand wind).

Its a free solution to try. I would start there.

CP
    Chuck P

ORIS (Sinatra Date Silver, Williams F1 Day Date, TT1 Day Date)
    VSA Dive Master 500 Mecha - Bracelet (AWESOME!)
    Hamilton Cushion (silver)
    VSA Ambassador XL Blue Manual Wind

Cool Re: Valjoux 7750 running super fast, need help!

I had a Steinhausen do the same, it was dropped and the hair sping coil caught the fine set lever. I repositioned it and it ran fine. Oil covered hairspings, dirty hairspings and to some extent magnetized hair springs will do the same, speed things up. The reason is such conditions shorten the effective spring length and speed up the balance.
    Last edited by Jeff_C; February 25th, 2010 at 14:58. Reason: Link to general sales site removed

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck P View Post
    I had a watch gaining sick time recently, did something proposed by member V76:

Hold the watch, caseback side, up against a CRT monitor.

Degauss a couple of times.

My watch (nearly instantly, no lie) began to work perfectly once again. I have on today (Victorinox Ambassador XL hand wind).
    Interesting suggestion -- that's a new one for me. The Valjoux is an automatic movement, though, not a hand wound. I wonder if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by link2derek; February 25th, 2010 at 00:12. Reason: spellllling
    D

My Hammy was running fast as well. Took it in, and it was the hair spring. Fixed it for free.
    Citizen | Skyhawk Black Eagle | Calibre 8700
    Invicta | 9937OB
    Orient | Orange Mako
    Tissot | PRC 200

Thread Information