Question re: croco straps

Thread: Question re: croco straps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question re: croco straps

Hi guys.

I've had a lingering doubt in my mind ever since I ordered the Stowa about my strap choice. I've gone for the black croco strap.

Now I understand the reservations about paying so much extra for the croco when you could get an aftermarket one much cheaper. That's not the issue though...it's the colour choice.

In my opinion the brown strap probably does make the watch look more striking but I eventually decided that since I would be using it primarily as a dress watch (well, with a work suit), I'd go for the black.

Now that it's getting to the time where I'm expecting an email within the next couple of weeks, I just can't make up my mind.

Obviously it's all about personal preference but I'd like some opinions. What do you prefer? Would the brown work with a black suit/in general on watch that will be worn as a dress watch?

I guess the other option would be to decide on one of them and then get a cheaper aftermarket one in the other colour to have the option.

Also if you go for the croc do they send it seperately with the standard leather one on the watch? It seems unlikely but I've noticed a couple of youtube videos and reviews saying this, I've just assumed they've had some sort of special request.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Cheers for any opinions.

Re: Question re: croco straps

Traditionally, the rule of thumb is black shoes, black belt, black strap (or metal bracelet). Likewise, brown shoes, brown belt, brown strap. However, the newer trends say mismatch all you want. I believe this to some extent (for example, I have no problem wearing brown shoes and a brown belt with black pants (traditionally, brown shoes/belt should be matched with navy blue or gray pants).

There's also the issue of what shade of brown you are considering (light/med/dark).

I went through the same exact dilemma when I ordered mine (polished MO) last week - I ended up ordering both the black and medium brown crocs.

The black will always look good and can be worn universally. The brown, as you've mentioned, will "pop" much more...but depending on how outgoing you are, you may or may not be willing to pair it with a black suit...so then it's pointless.

If you have to decide between one, I'd say the black strap is more versatile and a safer bet. But you've already proposed it, and it's really the best solution...get an after market strap and just have the option available to switch.

Stowa is sending my MO on a basic black leather/black stitch strap b/c FedEx will not deal with croc bands. They send it separately via registered mail.

Is that the case with all straps then? If that's the case I may ask if I can change to the brown croco and have it sent on the standard black leather.

Do you think the medium brown is the most...'flexible' as it were, in terms of going with everything?

Black leather with black stitching is standard, but they also offered me a brown with creme stitch because I asked. I opted for the black/black.

As far as flexibility, I'd prolly go with the medium brown. I'll also be ordering a honey brown with white stitching soon - I hope.

FWIW, I don't think the standard black/black leather strap they give you is going to be particularly nice (at least in my opinion - nice enough to wear, but it probably wouldn't be my go-to choice). I think it's this strap: http://www.stowa.de/cosmoshop/pix/a/...KS-weiss-3.jpg
    Last edited by HELLAcalvin; February 13th, 2012 at 19:25.

Very helpful - thanks.

Do you have a pic of the brown with creme stitch by any chance?

Actually is it the one in their straps section for 20 euros?

Now I'm temtped to ask for that and go for the black croco as the additional one. Aaaarrrggghhhhhhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by andyy View Post
    Very helpful - thanks.

Do you have a pic of the brown with creme stitch by any chance?
    Here you go:
    Flieger & Croco Strap from Stowa
    Pawel
    STOWA Marine Original Brushed No 076
    STOWA Flieger mit Logo und Datum; COSC No 270
    STOWA Seatime LE No 63/75; Watchbizz Pre Series Edition

^^^that is the croco strap. I believe he is asking for pictures of the brown leather strap with creme stitching (the one that they offered to me for free since they can't FedEx croco straps).

Yes please yeah.

Anyone?

Sorry guys just I said I'd get back to them today. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information