So close to ordering a Stowa Marine Original, but I have questions. Help?
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: So close to ordering a Stowa Marine Original, but I have questions. Help?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

So close to ordering a Stowa Marine Original, but I have questions. Help?

I've been trying to decide on a white(ish)-faced watch to slot in with my Omega Speedmaster FOIS and my recently purchased Hamilton Khaki King. I have several vintage dress watches, so mainly I was looking for something in a more contemporary size that could swing from a tad dressy to quite casual. Most of what I was focused on was in the Seiko Presage line. However, I couldn't determine conclusively if the blued hands on some models I was interested in were heat blued or painted. Since I wanted heat blued, that search led me to find the Stowa Marine Original. The Stowa MO beautifully addresses everything I like in a watch, beginning with simplicity. If I buy one, it will likely be the roman numeral version. Anyway; here are my questions:

• I remember reading a post in which someone called roman numerals pretentious. I just like them, but can someone shed light on that statement?
    • I've read that the Stowa Marine Original at 41mm wears large. I'm wearing around 40mm now with no problem, but I really don't want this new watch to appear overly large in any way. My wrists measure 7.25". Does it appear that much larger than other similar size watches.
    • If anyone has a Stowa MO and can supply a side-by-side photo with something like the Speedmaster or Khaki King, that would be great.

Besides these few concerns, I'm smitten with this watch in this version. Many thanks.

Re: So close to ordering a Stowa Marine Original, but I have questions. Help?

It does wear on the large size for a 41mm but as I recall it's not overpowering. I once owned the MO with Roman numerals. I had thought about that watch for months before ordering but once I got it I regretted it. The Roman numerals just seemed too dressy for my tastes. I now own a very similar watch, a Tourby Marine silver with Arabic numerals and I like it much better. Check out Tourby if you haven't , they make a very nice watch and I am very happy with the quality of mine.
    Stowa is great though. If you are concerned about size, look at the 40 mm Marine automatic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Moved to the Stowa forum, simply the better place for your inquiry.
    Kind regards
    Mike
    Hidden Content

Who cares what someone else thinks. If you like the look of Romans then that's all that counts. Personally I prefer roman numerals on Square/Tank watches, but so what if it is perceived as pretenious> So is owning more than one watch by some. I'm sure owning more than one pair or socks and underwear was preceived as pretenious by some. So you see th absurdity of such a statement.

I say F'em if they don't like it. It's your wrist.

41mm on a watch with minimal bezel will wear more like a 44mm so be aware of that. It's the perception of the eye of the size of the dial opening which will make the watch "wear" larger or smaller than the case size. You can have a 46mm with a large bezel, e.g. small dial opening which will wear smaller - maybe appear to be 42mm. Whereas an "all-dial" watch of say 40mm will wear like a 43mm

I have the roman/silver dial Marine Original. Love it. I rarely get dressed up for any reason. Being honest about things, no one in day-to-day life is going to think you're pretentious for having roman numerals on a watch dial. Buy what you like - the only people that think seriously about this stuff are other watch enthusiasts, and they're pretty few and far between overall.

The silver dial is great in person, shifting from white to silver to an almost amber tint in different lighting, with a very fine texture, and impeccable printing.

It will wear just fine on 7.25" wrists unless you're truly looking for a more vintage sized dress watch, but today 41mm on over 7" wrists is nothing. And obviously because of the Unitas movement, it can't be made any smaller.

And for what it's worth, my MO runs at +2.5ish seconds per day when worn daily/left crown up at night. Great accuracy.

Also - I'm not sure exactly which watches you're looking at from Seiko, but at least any of the Presage series that I know of have some sort of chemically blued hands, not real heat blued steel like Stowa.

Quote Originally Posted by sfnewguy View Post
    41mm on a watch with minimal bezel will wear more like a 44mm so be aware of that. It's the perception of the eye of the size of the dial opening which will make the watch "wear" larger or smaller than the case size. You can have a 46mm with a large bezel, e.g. small dial opening which will wear smaller - maybe appear to be 42mm. Whereas an "all-dial" watch of say 40mm will wear like a 43mm
    Many people will agree that a white dial also wears larger than a black dial. I picked up a 40mm white dial, narrow bezel watch the other day that I thought was 43mm until I took a caliper to it. I suspect this is typical of Marine vs Flieger.
    B.

I have the Marine Original in Matte case/Arabic/silver dial and another one in polished/Roman/white. The white dial does wear larger than the silver, but I don't find it too large, although I usually seem to wear 44mm Sinns. My wrists are about 7.25-7.5 inches. Between those two MOs, I prefer the matte case(less flashy, polished seems more dressy to me), silver dial (more understated, the white dial can be quite bold in short sleeves, and white seems dressier to me), and the arabic numbers (Roman seem dressier to me - but get what you like).
    Attached Images Attached Images

MHe225, flyingpicasso and m_may like this.

7.25 #wrist will be fine. Im also always prefer Roman vs Arabic for marine.

You are on the right track

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    2 handful of Stowas, 2 Makara and 2 HMT...
    IG: Hidden Content
    Join Stowaristi Facebook Page: Hidden Content
    My Blog: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thank you everyone for the replies, and a special thanks to you, ads75, for the photos. I may date myself here, but back when bell bottom pants came into style, they too seemed oversize. Once you got used to them though, anything else looked way too tight. My Speedmaster was my first larger watch, a real deviation for me. After much deliberation, I finally reasoned that I liked it because it was big before big was "in." And after all was done, it was fine. I think I'll approach this watch in a similar way. I see the Stowa Marine Original as being 41mm in size, because it must be in order to house that beautiful and historic pocket watch movement. That alone gives it purpose that pushes beyond fashion. I really like this piece and am sure that in my next moment of weakness, I'll order one. I appreciate the support.
    hidden830726 and ads75 like this.

My wrist is 7.25" as well and the MO is a great fit. I wish Stowa made a central seconds flieger with the same case, I would get one.

If you like the size of the Speedmaster Pro then you will like size of the MO. It might appear slightly larger due to the white dial but it is virtually the same size as the Speedy.

Here is the MO next to my 3572.50

Please excuse the rotten photo, I just laid them on the coffee table and snapped it with my cell phone.

Last edited by Saxon007; 3 Days Ago at 00:10.
    wkw, MHe225 and hidden830726 like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information