How accurate is atomic? - Page 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How accurate is atomic?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: How accurate is atomic?

Quote Originally Posted by a-Tom-ic View Post
    That is a fantastic pdf from NIST. I've read it before, and it is a showpiece of science, technical writing, and frankly openness, that epitomizes what's good about such an organization as they are. I was thinking, once my Paypal fees crusade is done, about changing my sig to links to several of their docs, even.
    I couldn't agree more and you couldn't have a more apt forum handle.

I've managed to locate additional papers by Michael Lombardi, including a discussion and test of analogue quartz watches' accuracy and stability, a history of radio time signal broadcasts (the first was in 1904) and a review of radio controlled wristwatches written in 2006. Here are the links:

The Accuracy and Stability of Quartz Watches

Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Radio Controlled Wristwatches

While these articles contain slightly more science than the first one I posted, they are equal models of clarity and just as interesting. WUS should make him an Honorary Fellow!

Copyright for the posted articles resides with the original holders.
    David
    Ω Speedmaster 3570.50, Explorer 214270, PRS-29B, Sub 16610, GW-6900, CWC RN Quartz Diver, GW-5000

Banned

Anybody here second my sticky vote? Now more than ever!

Thanks for the articles!

Till

We try to keep stickies to an absolute minimum to keep things tidy. Too many and the forum starts halfway down the page.

I can copy this thread elsewhere, though - maybe to FAQ, although I'm not sure if the question is frequently asked.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I've been comparing my newly acquired atomic Gulfman with the GPS clocks installed in the cockpit of the Airbus A320 aircraft.

My observations concur with the original post - typically a fraction of a second out - possibly upto half a second at most.

The comparisons have been made typically 12 hours after the watch had sync'd with the tower.
    logix likes this.

Great link, very interesting read, thanks for sharing.

One thing I really love about my GWM-5600 is the accuracy.

Im new to this forum and have a question i currently own a Riseman GW-9200. I trying to do a Auto Radio control on my watch for the past 2 days and have gotten ERR finally it did it last night but gave me wrong time i have it set for LAX and live in Los Angeles its giving me n hour ahead once i manually change it the auto strength signal goes away any1 can help me out thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2slowt67 View Post
    Im new to this forum and have a question i currently own a Riseman GW-9200. I trying to do a Auto Radio control on my watch for the past 2 days and have gotten ERR finally it did it last night but gave me wrong time i have it set for LAX and live in Los Angeles its giving me n hour ahead once i manually change it the auto strength signal goes away any1 can help me out thanks
    Have you tried switching the DST on/off?

J
    Current watches:
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50.00
    Casio GA120
    Casio GW 6900 - 1ER
    Seiko H558-5009 aka The Arnie - All the way from the USA

Used to have:
    Casio GWF-1000BS-1JF - Frogman
    Casio Edifice - EQW-M1000DB-1AER
    Casio GW-9200-1ER - Riseman
    Casio GX-56 1A
    Seiko SKX779K1 - Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    GW-200Z-1JF Frogman Final Edition

Yes and still don't want to sink signal

Quote Originally Posted by 2slowt67 View Post
    Your watch will not sync during the day with a manual sync, so forget about that.

Turn DST OFF.

Leave the watch in an East facing window with the 12 o'clock position of the watch facing out.

If you are not in a heavily urban environment with many tall buildings, your watch should sync overnight. Depending on surroundings, and weather, it may take a couple of nights to successfully sync.

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Your watch will not sync during the day with a manual sync, so forget about that.
    Is this a problem with the Riseman model he has, or with living in LA?

According to this thread [ Resources file ] and the link to [ Radio-controlled clocks ] the signal from Fort Collins should cover California even in the daytime.

I've successfully manually synched my MTG-900 at all hours of the day from a west-facing window in Ohio.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information