What is the longest lasting g-shock
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What is the longest lasting g-shock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is the longest lasting g-shock

Hi I am considering buying a g shock. Now I have a nice swiss self winding watch. Trouble is it needs maintenance which I didn't expect. So I am looking for a NO maintenance very robust watch that lasts very very long. Additionally, I want to have it with solar as then I don't need to change batteries. Which g shock do you suggest and how long do they last.

Thanks,

Peter

Re: What is the longest lasting g-shock

I cant say about logetivity of solar G Shocks, but if you want solar, you cant go wrong with Citizen Eco drive!! I have had mine for 11 years and it is still the most accurate of my watches and still looks nice!! I gave it to my uncle as it wasnt getting much wrist time as my collection got other watches, but it showed me Citizen really knows how to make a great quality solar watch!!
    If you live in an area that has Atomic reception, go for their AT line of watches, the thing really works and once you set it, you just wear it, it does everything by itself!!
    I am not trying to say that G-Shocks are bad, I have one that I wear every day, but if you had a swiss mechanic, I guess you are used to a more traditional looking watch (not rubbery huge thing) so Citizen would be the way to go if I were you!!

Also you should know that if you wear a G shock every day as a single watch, the strap will eventually brake and you will need a new one my friend has changed 3 in 6 years (but he works with construction materials), I am still on my original one after 5 years but it wasnt my only watch so it wasnt worn 24/7.
    If you buy a metal bracelet watch, THEN you have a worry free usage
    Last edited by Marrin; December 9th, 2015 at 10:24.
    v v v Click to visit my channel v v vHidden Content
    ^^^Click to visit my channel^^^

GW-5000.
    - solar. Easily last for 10 years before next battery change.
    - multiband 6 so it's dead accurate if you live in coverage area.
    - stainless steel case with DLC, indestructible compared to resin case Gs.
    - Like mentioned above probably you will only need bezel and band change every few years. If you just wearing the watch for desk job, then the rubber should last 5 years at least. USD 50 for the bezel and band for 5 years "maintenance cost" not bad at all.
    bigduke6 likes this.
    G-Shock GW-5000-1AJF
    G-Shock DW-5000-1JF
    G-Shock GW-5000B-1JR
    Omega Seamaster Professional 2254.50
    Omega Seamaster Professional 2254.50 (well you know, for backup)
    Rolex Osyter Perpetual 116000 Silver.

Quote Originally Posted by gzpermadi View Post
    GW-5000.
    USD 50 for the bezel and band for 5 years "maintenance cost" not bad at all.
    from pacparts
    band: $16.63
    bezel:
    $6.53

I guess after shipping cost to Dubai it's closer to $50.
    I agree the GW-5000 is a solid watch. I'm wearing mine right now :)

I bought a few new G-Shocks to try to replicate the success of this one. I am positive I have never changed the battery. This seldom left my wrist from 1990(?) to 2011. I have since demolished a timex and some Casio DW-6900s. I just ordered a GW-5000 but I wonder if the solar part of it is a liability versus a strength compared to this old school lithium battery. It does have the "tuna can" screw down back that I think is better than the flat plate held with 4 screws. Either that is going to work for another 20 years or I am refurbishing this one.
    Name:  20151229_092210_resized (2).jpg
Views: 681
Size:  93.0 KB
    Marrin and Desert like this.

I have been using a WW-5100 since 1985, except for not even two years.
    I have gone through a couple of bezels and straps, and the last bezel that would fit on the watch was a poorer quality than the original.
    Now I am wearing it without a bezel.
    It has given me such good service that I will buy another digital Casio, but this time with a s/s strap and body.
    Marrin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hound1812 View Post
    I bought a few new G-Shocks to try to replicate the success of this one. I am positive I have never changed the battery. This seldom left my wrist from 1990(?) to 2011. I have since demolished a timex and some Casio DW-6900s. I just ordered a GW-5000 but I wonder if the solar part of it is a liability versus a strength compared to this old school lithium battery. It does have the "tuna can" screw down back that I think is better than the flat plate held with 4 screws. Either that is going to work for another 20 years or I am refurbishing this one.
    Name:  20151229_092210_resized (2).jpg
Views: 681
Size:  93.0 KB

I agree IMO, the DW-5600C has proven its quality and durability, with so many working examples still in existence. Batteries last 15 years, so why bother with a solar, which has more to go wrong and has proven to be unreliable and requires a battery change is 10years anyway (GW-5000-1JF).

I also love the practical dual time mode on DW-5600C; and that current time is sub-displayed in other modes like ALARM and DUAL TIME modes. These are things that made me pass on GW-5000-1JF. IMO the 5600C was the best digital watch ever built. Ah... the 1980's!
    Last edited by Desert; 3 Weeks Ago at 15:51.
    'I think therefore I am' (Rene Descartes`, 1644)
    Think he meant, 'You can do anything if you put your mind to it!'

I delve into the intricacies of horology, but the laymen
    just wills me to enunciate more clearly? I conclude in knowing he
    is genetically resistant, and that is why I come here!Hidden Content

Casio Tri-Graph from 1991...not quite a G-Shock, but still very tough, no resin besides the strap.

Name:  Casio TGW100 2.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  297.6 KB

My other Casio digital...GW-5000 1JF...only had it for a couple of years...but with a solid steel case under the resin, I have every expectation that it will last a good long time....

Name:  GW 5000 13.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  1.61 MB
    Last edited by Ron521; 3 Weeks Ago at 17:12.
    Desert likes this.

Its been almost 2 years, im sure the op already bought a long lasting watch

Quote Originally Posted by Desert View Post
    I agree IMO, the DW-5600C has proven its quality and durability, with so many working examples still in existence. Batteries last 15 years, so why bother with a solar, which has more to go wrong and has proven to be unreliable and requires a battery change is 10years anyway (GW-5000-1JF).

I also love the practical dual time mode on DW-5600C; and that current time is sub-displayed in other modes like ALARM and DUAL TIME modes. These are things that made me pass on GW-5000-1JF. IMO the 5600C was the best digital watch ever built. Ah... the 1980's!
    Casio solars may last indefinitely on original battery. I have a bunch of the Original Tough Solar Raysman all approaching 18 years old, never had a battery change, all holding full charge.

Have dozens of solar watches.....Casio, Seiko, Citizen, old Timex (not made anymore) and I have Never had one die and Never changed a battery.

I buy seemingly dead solars cheap on eBay, put them in the Sun for a week and they recover to run forever. Never changed any solar battery yet

For all we know, our GW-5000 may go 25 years or more on the original battery, time will tell. They may last forever.

Raysman Galapagos

Raysman Red Guardian Angels DW-9300GA

Raysman DW-9350 MSJ Middle Sea Race

Last edited by yankeexpress; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:30.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information