WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

$10K budget - help a doc pick my first watch

24K views 122 replies 68 participants last post by  vindicate 
#1 ·
I posted this is in another forum, but was advised to post here as well.

Title says it all. Wedding gift from wife. First watch. Looking for something very versatile. I dress in mostly in scrubs daily being a doc. Occasionally, some formal events. Open to purchasing gently used. Work with xrays quite a bit daily and not sure if this will have bearing on the watch. Wrist is about 6.75".

Was looking at the Rolex SD4K. Tried it on in person and liked it.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

#71 ·
I honestly feel that while you have a 10k budget this doesn’t mean you have to send that amount, I’ve always gone to the look of the watch over brand name, brand is important but not just because it’s on the dial, it’s a good budget and the watch will be special regardless due to who’s buying it.

While the watch won’t be in a hard environment consideration does need to be taken for knock and bumps on hard surfaces, I think a steel bracelet is a must along with a reasonable water resistance in case you have and spills on the watch you’ll need to wash it off.

The SD4K is a fine watch. But I’d also consider looking at more watches – can’t hurt & it could be fun as well

#73 · (Edited)
I honestly feel that while you have a 10k budget this doesn't mean you have to send that amount, I've always gone to the look of the watch over brand name, brand is important but not just because it's on the dial, it's a good budget and the watch will be special regardless due to who's buying it.

While the watch won't be in a hard environment consideration does need to be taken for knock and bumps on hard surfaces, I think a steel bracelet is a must along with a reasonable water resistance in case you have and spills on the watch you'll need to wash it off.

The SD4K is a fine watch. But I'd also consider looking at more watches - can't hurt & it could be fun as well
Yeah, this. Working in a hospital environment, I see many of the docs here wearing - dare I say it on the HEW forum - G-Shocks for precisely the reason you mentioned. With all the equipment that surrounds you, the watch will inevitably take a hit on something or other. And if it were me, I would immediately cringe upon hearing my new Overseas slam into the metal bed frame of my patient. I'm not saying to scrap the Overseas altogether and go get your G-Shock, but speaking from personal experience, I'm not sure that the Overseas or another HEW is the right timepiece in a hospital/patient care environment. Keep in mind that there is the potential for whatever watch you're wearing to come in contact with bodily fluids and/or chemicals; I wouldn't particularly enjoy getting blood, urine, or the like on my $10k+ watch, and would much rather have a G-Shock take that on. Also, in terms of pure aesthetics, I'm not so sure how an Overseas, especially if mounted on a steel bracelet, would look in scrubs; might look out of place.

If a G-Shock doesn't work for you and you still insist on a timepiece of the mechanical persuasion, then Rolex might fit the bill, but there is still the issue of being surrounded by magnetic fields from hospital equipment, and the Milgauss wouldn't do the trick for you since it is sans a date window. The Master Co-Axial Omegas are a great choice not only for their extreme anti-magnetic properties, but because they're pretty shock resistant with their use of silicon. You may also want to consider offerings from Sinn, Damasko, Ball, Bremont, et al.: Not high end for sure, and your $10k budget would surely be able to buy at least one of each of these brands, but they are purely utilitarian (offer great shock resistance and many models are anti-magnetic), are tough as nails and meant to take a beating (with their of hardened steel or DLC coating for example), and not to mention, they would also be very aptly suited for wearing with scrubs.

#72 ·
Seems like you made your choice already, but if not - think about RO. Out of my humble collection the 15202 gets the most of wrist time. It's very comfortable on the wrist, has fantastic bracelet, history behind it and represents one of the best designs in watch industry IMO.
Anyway with a 10K watch it's hard to go wrong. At least I didn't see any "bad" watches in the thread.

Good luck!

#75 ·
My whole family works in various medical careers.

The most popular watches that medical people wear while at work are mostly all digital, and I would guess the Casio G-Shocks are the leaders. They are tough as nails, waterproof, and the easy to use chronograph functions are handy.

#76 ·
I work in a hospital and G-Shocks are popular as well, but I don't see anything wrong with wearing an Omega PO Co-Axial or a Rolex. I wear my Omega often in the hospital and have no problems since it's easy to clean.

#77 ·
Unless you're a total watch nerd like the rest of us, just get the Rolex you want. If you are like the other 99% off the population who doesn't spend way too much time on this forum, you aren't going to enjoy spending $1k every 5ish years to send your watch for servicing. Not to mention that servicing could easily take 6 months so then you'll need another watch for those times. The Rolex is fairly bullet proof, you like it, and it can be serviced quickly by countless locations (independent watchmaker or Rolex service centers)

#81 ·
from another doc i present to you a 1969 speedmaster with pulseometer bezel......you can always justify it as a work expense becuase of the pulseometer as a piece of medical eqiupment(not that i do or have actually ever used the pulseometer) its medically oriented, a classic and will never age. It is also well under budget for a new one with this bezel

#86 · (Edited)
Read the whole thread. This is my opinion:

First, take your time. You seem new to watches which is absolutely ok. So do some reading, watch reviews, understand the differences, compare prices.....so you can make an informed decision.

Rolex. It's the safe choice in your case. Taugh, accurate, 5yrs warranty, 10yrs service intervals, good resale if you decide to flip. Any Rolex model would do it for you. It is more of a matter which one you like more. Yes, it's common but it's common for a reason. It will take a good beating over many decades without letting you down. Also, it has the advantage of Easylink or glidelock clasps which are a blessing.

If you go up a notch, in really HE territory than that requires a bit more research. If you pick a chrono price goes up significantly and so does the cost to service it.
Be careful with grey market dealers, see what type of warranty you get.
Some HE brands loose value more than others. Have a look at new vs pre-owned.

I belive it is fair to say that you'll probably buy other watches too soon after getting this one. After you get to scratch the "expensive" one a few times you'll most likely get another one, less expensive, such a G-shock or spend a couple of grand for a used Omega Seamaster. You'd alternate wearing them and that's great.

Also, you can get a Rolex now and, in a few years, get yourself a PP or a VC. Rolex can be the everyday watch and the other one, your dress watch for those days when you want to wear something different.

Good luck with the quest! Let us know what your choice is in the end.

#87 ·
I belive it is fair to say that you'll probably buy other watches too soon after getting this one. After you get to scratch the "expensive" one a few times you'll most likely get another one, less expensive, such a G-shock or spend a couple of grand for a used Omega Seamaster. You'd alternate wearing them and that's great.
Talk about hitting the nail on the head in my watch journey... after a few affordable models, I started with a Rolex SD4k, got a G-Shock Rangeman later that year, and just got a used Speedy. Have you been stalking me?! ;)

#88 ·
Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions!

Someone asked why I want the date - when signing notes, I often have to put the date and it would be great if I can just peek at my watch, instead of going for my cell phone.

I work in a private practice setting - there is less likelihood that I will get bodily fluids over the watch.

#93 ·
#94 ·
Hope I am not violating any rules, but I came across these two pieces below and wanted some opinions in regards to being a good buy, authenticity, price point, etc etc. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post here. Thanks.

FS:Vacheron CONSTANTIN OVERSEAS CHRONOGRAPH-49150/B01A-9095-STAINLESS STEEL-SILVER - Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

TimeZone : TZ Showcase » FS:Vacheron Constantin Overseas MINT Original style REDUCED
Looks like that second was already sold.

#99 ·
I would consider Glashutte Original Panomatic in SS......it's on my radar also
beautiful watch with nicely decorated movement and great details

#104 ·
There are a lot of these threads. New users come and get advice, and once they've got what they want, they never return. "Hospitality" hasn't posted since his last post in this thread almost 2 years ago.

#110 ·
For a doctor I say some sort of Datejust or a Submariner. (two tone sub would be my go to in your situation) Interesting you don't like the sub but like the sea-dweller though.

Congrats on the wedding though!

#111 ·
Wow sorry for the bump on a 2 year old thread LOL

Anyone know what he end up getting?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.