WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which Breguet XXI?

4K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  NWP627 
#1 · (Edited)
So I will be buying a Breguet XXI in the next couple of weeks. I've narrowed it down to the two choices below after holding them in my hand for a while at the boutique. Both black with black strap. I cannot decide between these two. Help me decide, which one would you get?

1: Steel version.
I really like the steel bezel
Don't particularly like the reflective dial.

2: Titanium version
I really like the mate/flat black dial
Don't particularly care for the black bezel

So my ideal XXI would be the Steel case with the dial from the Titanium version. Which one would you get?

ignore the brownish hue from the picture, it's just the picture lighting, the watch is black
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Fashion accessory

See less See more
#5 ·
You seem committed to buying a Breguet and if that's the key thing, then that's what you should do. If, however, you want a sport chronograph, there are other options, foremost in my mind among them being the BP FF Bathy chrono, Rolex Daytona, and others.

If it is so that you are committed to buying a Breguet, perhaps a different Breguet model would be a better choice, seeing as you aren't particularly thrilled (so not thrilled that you've asked a bunch of strangers what they think), and buying a sport chrono from a different maker is the way go for that particular watch configuration? I ask that question because I absolutely choose the brand of watch I'll buy before I decide on a model. Quite often I like several models offered by a given maker, so sometimes something other than the watch itself plays a key role in which one I buy.

The key drivers I use to choose what watch to buy from a given maker are:
  • What I see as the maker's distinctive competency within the category (uncomplicated) of watch I'm willing to buy to begin with.
  • What the other makers from whom I have yet to buy offer and whether buying X from this maker will result in my essentially duplicating the look when I buy Y from that maker, given that "that maker" only makes watch Y that I like to begin with. For example, I bought an AP RO and a PP Calatrava because, for my purposes, the RO is distinctively AP and within my budget at the time, whereas PP, having multiple lines from which I could choose and that fit my budget, allowed me greater flexibility in making a choice...I could have gone with a Nautilus, Calatrava, Gondolo, or Ellipse and achieved my collecting goal with regard to PP and regardless of which one I chose, I'd like it just fine. In contrast, I really like the RO, and while I do like the Jules Audemar collection APs, I don't like them nearly as much as the RO. Had I bought a PP Nautilus, I'd have had to (given my aims) buy an AP Jules Audemar, or something other than an RO.
Just a thought....maybe it'll help.

All the best.

It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
― Roy Disney

#7 ·
Thanks for your thoughts Tony. I am very much the same in my decision making process. I also chose the brand first then the type/model. I am committed to buying a Breguet, never had one and a top 5 manufacturer in my book. However I wanted an every day watch and many of theirs are just too nice to wear every day, and frankly out of my price range. The only other one I considered was the Marine big date with the white gold dial but I put it on the wrist and it just seemed too nice to wear around town.

The type XXI seem to fit the bill. I really like the stainless steel case. I was also really impressed with the dial of the titanium version. Maybe i should have chosen my words differently in my original post when i said "I don't particularly like/care", it was not my intention to say I don't like it. Was simply trying to make a distinction between the two model. I like them both very much actually.

I did consider other watches. FF Bathy is nice but doesn't do it for me for some reason. No interest in a Rolex. One other that I was considering was the JLC Master Compressor Chrono but didn't like the crown and the push buttons. I think they are too big/bulky.

I was at an AD yesterday with the wife and she really liked the rose gold version on me. I liked it a lot too, but way out of budget unfortunately. I think I will be going with the steel version.

#13 · (Edited)
There's no question the attention to detail is on point. I did not notice the fluted case between the lugs. When I was playing with them they were both with the bracelet. That's just fantastic.

Thanks everyone for their feedback. Decision is made. Steel it is.

Steel for me (I own it). Just look at this detail with the diamond markers set into the minute track...

View attachment 6677690

Just be sure to put it on an after-market straight edge strap so that you can enjoy the fluted case band between the lugs (Rolex doesn't even polish this section!)

View attachment 6677714

#15 ·
I have an IWC Portuguese that has a somewhat similar design on the case but much much smaller "flutes" if you will. Really fine. Not sure how to describe it. But that also collects a lot of dirt and residue between the lugs. I usually go over it with a damp q tip every once in a while and that usually cleans it very nice.

I put put the order in. The hard part now is waiting, will take some time for delivery.

#19 ·
#21 ·
Good choice. Of course, there was no bad choice given the ones you had in mind. Gotta love it when the only options available are all great. <winks>

All the best and enjoy it when it arrives.

#25 ·
New here but i would like to donate my 2 cents worth here.

Although it is a extravagant luxury dilemma i would go with the Steel. IMHO Titanium bores the hell out of a watch. The Steel version gives it more life and i agree with you, the steel bezel is stunning!
Good luck with your choice!

#32 · (Edited)
I've had mine since April '15 and like the way it looks on my wrist. However, I bought it on the bracelet that has a butterfly clasp and no half links making it very hard to properly size. If you happen to have a wrist size that "fits the watch" it will feel as good as it looks, if not it will be either too tight or too loose. I'm in the process of finding a strap with which I can live. All in all though it's a keeper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.