Like Tree4Likes

Thread: comparing Hublot vs Audemars piguet

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

comparing Hublot vs Audemars piguet

I am considering purchasing either a Hublot Big Band or a Audemars Piguet Offshore. Does anyone have any comments on which is the better watch?

Thank you,
    Charles

Re: comparing Hublot vs Audemars piguet

Depends what you mean by better. Id say the better movement is in the AP, but Hublot is no slouch. Id buy the one that I think looked better. At this level of watch, the quality is gonna be with both.
    -RJ

Breitling Superocean II
    Breitling Navitimer
    Breitling Avenger Skyland
    Breitling Colt II Auto
    Breitling Superocean Steelfish

Panerai 320
    Locman Tonneau
    G-Shock DW-5600WC-1ER

G-Shock DW-6900R-7

Banned

Which exact models did you have in mind?
    It is a more of an aesthetical question than anything else.

stuffler,mike

Post moved.

Apples v prunes

Quote Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
    Id say the better movement is in the AP, but Hublot is no slouch. Id buy the one that I think looked better. At this level of watch, the quality is gonna be with both.
    Totally agreed.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I would also say that you can't compare the two, although people could call me biased against Hublot.

I have never been a fan of Hublot and in recent years have seen them becoming somewhat worse. For one thing, they call themselves a manufacture when they just copy the Valjoux 7750 for which they have not had any development input. I know that they are planning on really bringing out a movement of their own but this is in the future and we are talking about the present. For another thing, I deplore the trend of all black watches which are there - and these are the words of the CEO, JC Biver! - just as a fashon statement, not to really tell the time! A company that comes up with this sort of thing isn't really serious about watches IMO.

Set against that, we have AP with a long history of very grand complications, a recent history of true manufacture movements and one of the few companies that are 100% in private ownership and not part of a consortium (Swatch, Richemont, LVMH, etc.). Not much of a comparison, I would say.

Of course, the main things to look at when buying a watch are overall quality, value for money and whether it makes your heart smile. I don't own any of either brand so I can't speak there. If you have looked at both watches/brands in-depth and think you prefer the Hublot, by all means go for it.

Hartmut Richter

Dear Mr. Richter and all Watch-U-Seek-ers,

I am also biased, as I am the Sales Director for Hublot of America. This is my first post on your forum, as it popped up on my Google Alerts last night.

So, please allow me to address the general comments of this thread, and then those of Mr. Richter specifically.

First off, I will say that AP is a lovely watch, with a rich 125+ year history, and I am very admiring of the brand, their offerings, business acumen, designs and manufacture.

Next, the answer to this question is simple: Buy whichever you love more, whichever speaks the loudest to your heart, and of course, whichever you can afford.

Now, please allow me to address (rebut??) Mr. Richter's comments:

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post

I have never been a fan of Hublot and in recent years have seen them becoming somewhat worse. For one thing, they call themselves a manufacture when they just copy the Valjoux 7750 for which they have not had any development input.
    We have spent over $20 Million on CNC machines and the manpower and brainpower involved to run these machines and to also design TWO brand new, completely new in-house movements. These movements were announced and prototypes shown at Basel 2009, are in beta-testing now, and will begin to be installed in watches in 2010.

In the mean time, we have had a manufacture movement since 2007 in that we make our own base plates for our super lightweight Magma Bang and Wally Bang. These watches are made of "hublonium" which is a proprietary alloy of magnesium, aluminum and a hardening agent called Titanex to make a super light yet 500 vickers hard metal. In order to keep the weight of the entire watch down, we make the movement IN-HOUSE out of hublonium for the Magma and titanium for the Wally. This results in an entire watch weighing less than 75 grams, that is case, movement, strap and buckle, the lightest automatic chronograph ever created by any company.

Yes, the movement is a copy of the tried and true 7750 base plates, this is a workhorse movement whose patent has expired, and so many companies other than ETA make 7750s. You can debate whether an in-house manufactured 7750 is "in-house" or not, but the fact remains that we are indeed a "manufacture" as we make these movements in our own building with our own machines and our own employees.

The difficulties of building plates of super hard materials are immense. When you push a jewel into a brass plate, the brass is soft and deflects, accepting the jewel. When you push a jewel into titanium, the jewel cracks and you throw it away. So the tolerances required to make the in-house movement are extremely tiny, and it is no small feat of manufacturing or engineering to make this movement.

For another thing, I deplore the trend of all black watches
    Obviously it is your right to like or not like our designs. The All Black was indeed invented by Hublot (as was the rubber strap, and how many companies have followed us on that?), and has since been copied by other brands. You may not like the All Black watches, and that is fine, but it has been a great success for Hublot.

which are there - and these are the words of the CEO, JC Biver! - just as a fashon statement, not to really tell the time!
    I would say that Mr. Biver's point was that ANY fine timepiece today is a fashion statement from the wearer to the world. We all know that quartz and cellphones do an admirable job keeping time, and so whenever ANYONE spends money for a fine timepiece (and I will let the spender define "fine" whether it be a $500 watch or a $500,000 watch), they are making a statement to others and to themselves.

Thank you kindly for allowing me to visit your forum, and to voice my opinions.

Hello, Mr Margolis. Welcome to WUS and to the High End Watches forum. We look forward to your contributions.

Jeannie
    CO-MODERATOR * LADIES WATCH FORUM
    CO-MODERATOR
    * ROLEX & TUDOR FORUM
    CO-MODERATOR * THE CAFE

Thanks for the welcome Jeannie. It's "Mike," as "Mr. Margolis" was my father. :)
    Last edited by mikemargolis; November 14th, 2009 at 18:26.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information