WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

FP Journes' new quartz Elegante 48: Is it High-End; Is it a serious watch?

10K views 37 replies 28 participants last post by  blakestarhtown 
#1 ·
I see FPJ has brought out (by popular demand apparently) a 48 mm man's version of his quartz Elegante range. ( Élégante 48mm - F.P. Journe Revolutionary Horological Concept - F.P.Journe )

I'm not a fan of this watch (esp. the, to me, hideous dial), but is quartz now a serious high-end contender (the lady's versions start at $11,500; I couldn't find a price for the men's version)? I do wonder what a youger FPJ would think of this!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I think there's such a thing as a high-end quartz watch, and in terms of quartz movements, this seems like a high-end quartz movement. I'm admittedly not up on the latest and greatest in that area, but the power-saving standby mode is pretty neat, and the fact that it has such a long battery life seems standout. I read it's hand-made and there is some high level finishing, at least on the women's models (haven't seen a picture of the back of the men's version).

All that said, I don't think the intention is for this to be a "serious high-end contender" in terms of competing with traditional auto/mechanical movements. It's something different; some will like it, some won't -- but I imagine that can be said for about everything that FPJ creates!

#8 ·
To me, a quartz high-end piece is no different than the below high-end vase:

[pic deleted]

They're both expensive, and a lot of craftsmanship has gone into both. However, I am interested in neither, as I think what excites me about a high-end watch is the purely mechanical aspect of it.
Then a quartz watch, be it FPJ's or any other one, probably isn't the watch for you and the "seriousness" of it is irrelevant.

FWIW, to answer your question, yes, it's a "serious" watch. (Esteemed Mechanical Watchmaker F.P. Journe On Making A Quartz Movement | aBlogtoWatch) "Seriousness" and "high-end-ness" are horological qualites that can be found separately or together.

All the best.

#9 ·
I see FPJ has brought out (by popular demand apparently) a 48 mm man's version of his quartz Elegante range. ( Élégante 48mm - F.P. Journe Revolutionary Horological Concept - F.P.Journe )

I'm not a fan of this watch (esp. the, to me, hideous dial), but is quartz now a serious high-end contender (the lady's versions start at $11,500; I couldn't find a price for the men's version)? I do wonder what a youger FPJ would think of this!
Buy what you don't have yet, or what you really want, which can be mixed with what you already own. Buy only because something excites you.
― Karl Lagerfeld

Great looking watch, except for that gizmo at four o'clock, which ruins the look enough for me not to care much about whatever goodness it has. As for being a serious contender in the HE arena, its price automatically qualifies it as HE; there's simply no way around that. Whether it's one that you, someone else, or I would seriously consider buying is a different matter, one that depends entirely on why one is buying it in the first place. Whatever be the reason, if one does buy it, one has bought a HE watch.

Generally speaking, I don't have anything against quartz watches. As machines made for a purpose, they easily surpass anything mechanical, and aesthetically they certainly look equally good (or bad in some cases LOL). As I've said in other posts on WUS, were the watches I've bought from HEW makers offered as quartz models, I'd possibly have bought them instead of the mechanical ones for were my principal aim in collecting is to acquire at least one watch from each maker I deem appropriate to my collection and interests and that also represents what I find to be their "signature thing," provided the watch is also uncomplicated. Since I for the most part buy only uncomplicated watches, the styling tends to be the signature thing, the thing that sets them apart from their peers, that I go for. For example, PP and hobnail bezels or Nautilus or super understatement, Piaget and very thin, Cartier and Tank, VC and flair in something not round and plain, AP and the Royal Oak, etc.

Of course, most of the HEW makers have multiple traits that are their quintessential "thing," but as I seek only one watch per maker, I have to choose based on what most interests me, and what that is is looks. That's not to say I'm not aware of things like history, engineering, and so on, but rather that I know what I like most and those other traits only come into the equation when the styling alone can't drive me to a decision. My aesthetic sense is pretty well understood by me, so I don't often have much trouble choosing.

What got me "into" watches was style, fashion and sartorial appeal; I initially just liked them as yet another fashion accessory. As a key driver among several, that's never left me and it won't. That it won't is why I don't have any issue with quartz watches. I understand well what they are and what they are not, and what they are not isn't a key driver for me.

All the best.

Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.
― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Reactions: nh1
#11 ·
I was in Geneva during it's launch and FP lended me his prototype for the day. I must say, it is quite a "fun" watch that for the price, it is best suited for that beach resort! My comment was also how he ended up describing it. Loved the weight of it and it was just pure fun

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: tony20009
#13 ·
As I've said on other threads, I actually prefer quartz, but purchase mechanicals as well, because many of the best brands don't make quartz. I realize that the majority on this site prefer mechanical, and that's fine. I bought the original Elegante for my sig. other, and she loves it! I will definitely look at the Elegante 48mm when it arrives in the stores. Yes, it's expensive for a quartz, but it's cheap for an FPJ!

This post has been deleted
#20 ·
Sorry for bringing back such an old thread but a friend acquired one as part of a big package he was purchasing and was wearing it when I saw him the other week.
I was always curious about this but they are quite uncommon! Anyway my brief impressions.
1). The dial lume is AWESOME!
2). It is light, it is a fun watch!
3). Quartz or not, the sleeping movement feature is pretty cool!
4). Does not wear or look 48 mm at all!

Id LOVE to own one IF I found it at the right price but I doubt what I feel would be the right price is realistic LOL!
It would make a watch to wear when playing tennis or golfing.

#26 ·
I went in to look at one recently and yes they are serious watches.
I do quite like them.

the only con for me was that its a quartz and when you're paying that kind of monster money, Im a little biased toward mechanical movements.

#31 ·
I can’t see paying 13 grand for a quartz watch even if it is a FP Journe. I thought Journe’s whole thing was to be the new Abraham Brequet of mechanical watchmaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#34 ·
I can't see paying 13 grand for a quartz watch even if it is a FP Journe. I thought Journe's whole thing was to be the new Abraham Brequet of mechanical watchmaking.
If Journe used a mass-produced quartz movement I would agree.
But he has designed his own movement to fulfil the requirements of a substantial customers segment.
I am sure that a 21st century Breguet would have included innovative quartz watches in his portfolio.
A RyCheDay-style 18th century Breguet might have made only amazing verge-watches !

#32 ·
I agree with that you're saying, but when it was released it was actually pretty hype.

I know a number of people who have one but never mustered the courage to ask them what drove them to purchase one.

#36 ·
Would the awesome battery life matter if it had to be serviced before then, or does this model not need to be serviced until the battery goes dead?/QUOTE]

This link gives a good overview of the movement in an interview with FP Journe :-
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/discussion-f-p-journe-quartz-movement-design/

It includes :-
The secondary reason [for fitting 2 motors] concerns lubrication.
There is no point to extending battery life to up to 16 years if the lubricants all degrade to beyond unusable in less than a third of that time.
The 1210 movement in all F.P. Journe Élégante watches have no lubricated parts at all.
This renders the pieces virtually maintenance free until a battery change is necessary (i.e. even with regular wear for around 8 years).​

Most quartz watches use one motor to drive seconds, minutes and hour hands.
The one motor has to drive a 'long' gear-train, so some lubrication is usually provided.
But it is still way better than a mechanical watch because
a) Accuracy does not depend on lubrication
b) In a quartz watch the 'fast' seconds motor drives minutes and hour hands through down-gears
maximum torque is very small.​
c) In a mechanical watch the 'slow' spring drives the 'fast' escapement through up-gears
maximum torque and bearing-load is much bigger.​

I have 20 year old quartz watches that are working fine without any service other than battery change
I would expect the FP Journe to 'go on for ever'
> Separate seconds and minute+hour motors 'shortens' the gear trains
> No lubricated parts and high-quality construction (18 jewels)
> Motors switch off when the watch is not in use

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.