WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Grail watch: Does yours more or less stay the same, or does it continually change/ evolve?

4K views 40 replies 36 participants last post by  cmac06 
#1 ·
Okay, the reason I ask this is beacuse I thought that I'd finally settled on my preferred watch aesthetic (classic styling, modest dimensions: think ALS 1815 Auf/ Ab, VC Patrimony Small Seconds, etc). And then BAM!, along comes this newcomer from way out of left field, and all my preconceived notions of what I considered desirable/ lust-worthy leap right out the window! Am I in a small minority here? Or are others equally as easily swayed in their tastes and preferences?

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Titanium

See less See more
#30 ·
It has been the same for me for many years. I've always wanted an AP ROO for years now.
To relate, I do change my mind a lot which my next holy grail vehicle. I was in the market for my next Porsche and I kept changing my mind but for years I've wanted a 911 Turbo. I still considered many other vehicles but I kept going back to the thought of a 911 Turbo. I even went to see one the other month and was set on buying it. Well out of nowhere I ended up putting a deposit on a Porsche GT4 and it's currently being built and arriving in April.
I still want to own an AP ROO in the next year or so.

#31 ·
As ive grown up, my taste has changed from gaudy flashy diamond encrusted rolexes, to omega and tag divers and race chronographes. Theres 5 watches I will own someday: a tag 43mm aquaracer, a 43mm tag formula, a Omega dark side of tbe moon speedy, a Omega seamaster 300, and a Tag monaco.as far as lotto watches go, a hublot big bang and a gold rolex daytona

#33 ·
Many years ago and before entering to the world of watchmaking, Tag Heuer was the very best for me. They were everywhere, looked nice and they were realiable under my point of view. Which are my grails now? Vacheron Constantin, Patek Philippe, A.Lange&Söhne and very other few. I used to like sporty watches, especially cronographs but I dont like them anymore, with few exceptions like the Patek 5270G that looks frankly unconspicuous and super gentle for being a chronograph.

My actual grail is a Patek 5140 G-001 in white gold but I love some pieces from Patek itself, JLC, ALS, or Voutilainen. I have a crush on Rolex, though. I may give it a go and save to get a Patek for my wedding. But it is pure fantasy hahaha.

So yeah, grails change. Even more, if you are as young as I am. (21).

#34 · (Edited)
I don't necessarily consider it a grail, but the APRO Jumbo Extra-thin 15202 is the most expensive and hardest to acquire watch in my ideal collection lineup I have had for a few years. I am currently 3 watches away from that ideal lineup: Rolex BLNR, JLC Reverso, APRO 15202. With my current collection, I really cannot find a watch that would not work for any given situation if I add the three aformentioned watches.

#35 ·
My attainable grails keep changing but my more expensive grail will always be the AP ROO

#37 ·
Mine has changed a lot... a few years ago most of my grails were very complicated watches, I would buy as complicated as I can afford. Now it's Dufour Simplicity, a few Journes, MB&Fs, Datograph and some vintages like Tank Louis Cartier, Reverso Red or a Patek 2499. On the other hand few years ago I didn't get sport watches and I could even say I'd never buy a Rolex. Now I own 3 purely sport watches, two of them on a bracelet including Rolex Milgauss....
However I do hope I will never want an RM, sorry :)

#40 ·
Not that moved much. Grail had been a bespoke watch from my favorite AHCI watchmaker, and sometimes my "bespoke ideas" change but the grail itself is fixed on getting a certain design watch from a certain watchmaker.

All my other top 3~5 grail lists had been fixed the same for about a year now, too. Only my lower list changes in their order, and this happens quite often.

#41 ·
Since getting my first Zemith, I've had an unhealthy obsession with chromosome. Grail used to be the AP RO chrono, but that's before I saw what could be done with gold. Lange Datograph in pink gold. Don't think it'll change anytime soon unless one of these falls into my lap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.