WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Help me pick a watch

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Igor01 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I have decided to make my first high-end watch (Pre-owned). After months of research, I narrowed it down to two watches. To my surprise, both of these watches are available and at the same price. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

2009 AP RO 15202
1994 PP Nautilus 3800

i really like the style of both watches. I am biased toward PP brand but am concern about the size of the 3800. I have seen a lot of debates on the 5711 vs the 15202 but didn't see anything on the 3800.

#2 ·
I'd pick the RO, to me the Nautilus' design despite its esteemed heritage does look more dated, even more so on the smaller 3800 (5711 mitigates it a bit by its more imposing presence). And, of course, Royal Oak was the crazy innovative trailblazer that started the whole luxury sports watch thing.

#3 ·
I wouldn't buy a watch based too much on the brand itself. If the size doesn't work for you then don't get it because of the name. If everything else is equal and you're more comfortable with the name, then yes, go for it.

Make sure you get a service history on the 15202, that movement is great but needs regular service (search the boards, I think it was Tony who did a very detailed write-up describing why) Hell for that matter, get a service history for both, the 3800 is starting to age.

#5 · (Edited)
When spending this much jack, fit is paramount. You don't want to be flipping a few weeks or months in when the realization sets in that the watch isn't comfortable. Both are fantastic watches. If you determine the AP has the fit you like, there certainly is no reason to apologize for choosing it.

#7 · (Edited)
Well, from a collecting standpoint, mine at least, the AP 152 is "the" RO to get. I'd get the Nautilus, however, if I were planning to make the it a "wear it mostly all the time" watch.

If you are comfortable wearing the 3800, the size won't be an issue. Personally, given the extended flange of the Nautilus design, I prefer the smaller size one to the larger ones. The RO, because of the barrel bridge issue, is one that will not be a good choice if you are lackadaisical about keeping it serviced. Indeed, if you are buying it pre-owned, you absolutely must require that it's in perfect condition and very recently serviced by AP, particularly since the one you are considering is well past the standard 2 - 4 year service interval. The heavy grain pattern on the RO, though it doesn't per se make the watch easier to scratch, does make scratches stand out more than they will on the satin finish on the Nautilus, which tends to hide them more effectively. (Obviously, scratches that are more akin to gouges will stand out on either.)

As go scratching, different folks have different views on the matter. Though I don't "freak out" over scratches or the risk that a sport watch, even a pricey one like the Nautilus or RO, will get them, I certainly feel as though having them on a watch I'll wear on non-sport occasions is a mark of slovenliness. My son, on the other hand, apparently thinks it's a cool thing, something akin to a badge of honor, to have a pricey sport watch that's got its share of dings and scrapes. His RO has been through "hell and back," or at least college fraternity parties and back, and it looks like it too. LOL The marring doesn't seem to bother him in the least, and I'm quite sure he doesn't care what other folks, including me, think about it.

You may find this helpful:
-- Patek Philippe Nautilus Versus Audemars Piguet Royal Oak
-- What If You Could Only Have One Watch? My Top 5 Choices › WatchTime - USA's No.1 Watch Magazine
-- The Ding Or Scratch That Hurts The Most

As much as I don't like saying it, the AP152 is, like so many "rich guy" toys, comes with a downside that requires one be comfortable with routinely paying "rich guy" sums to avoid very expensive, "even richer guy," repairs. In contrast, I'm aware of no such downsides associated with the Nautilus.

Think of it this way. If one is going to buy a Bentley, or BMW, one must also be prepared to pay the princely sums to maintain it on a regular basis, and doing so, one is likely to have no issues with the car. One can instead choose a Lexus or Honda and have a car that's considerably more "forgiving" re: things like missed servicings or a skipped oil change. In my experience, nearly all "rich guy" indulgences -- houses, boats, cars, art, jewels, garments/shoes, etc. -- come with downsides that often aren't acceptable to non-rich guys who save up and buy them just because they want them and have obtained the cash to buy them. That may or may not be applicable to you, but if it is, overlook it only at your downstream dismay.

All the best.

Reactions: Romulux and nh1
#8 ·
Thanks everyone. I just wanted to provide an update. I decided on the PP 3800. The size isn't really an issue. It is small when I look at it side by side with the RO jumbo but it's fine on my wrist. The deciding factor was how comfortable it was on and it's not very flashy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.