WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Watch Duels - Uncomplicated Dress Watches: The Little Guys - Round 1

HEW WD: Watch Duels - Uncomplicated Dress Watches: The Little Guys - Round 1

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  tony20009 
#1 · (Edited)
Overview:
So as most folks love a good battle, so I'm creating a series of running battles. In them, I'll put up pics of two watches. Your task is to choose by vote the one who should move on to the next round. In the next round I'll put up the winner of the first round and a new watch and you vote again. You'll have three days to vote and three days and I'll put up a new "battle" on the fourth day. (If I'm late by more than a day, it's because I got banned and someone else will have to carry the torch. :) )

I'll have multiple threads running. One for the major brands in a given category and one for the not-so major brands in a given category. For example, in the category of Uncomplicated Dress Watches there will be:
  • Watch Duels - Uncomplicated Dress Watches: The Little Guys - If the brand isn't sold at Liljenquist and Becksted, it's a little guy. (Liljenquist & Beckstead Watches)
  • Watch Duels - Uncomplicated Dress Watches: The Big Boys - If the brand is sold at Liljenquist and Becksted, it's a big guy. (Liljenquist & Beckstead Watches) It would just be too unfair to the Little Guys if I put them with VC.

If you have specific watches you want to see face off against the winner of the first round, suggest them. I just ask that you do so in the appropriate thread because I could well miss it if you put a "big boy" suggestion in the "little boy" thread or a chrono suggestion in the uncomplicated threads.

Lastly, I hope this doesn't turn into " the most expensive guy wins." Part of why this game is here is because I've seen a bit more objectivity here in HEW than I seen in general in Public.

So here we go...and remember, you are voting for a specific watch, the one pictured, not a brand and not some other watch either company makes. Were this a brand level game, it'd be easy: Patek wins. LOL.

Uncomplicated Dress Watches: The Little Guys - Round 1: Parmigiani Tonda 1950 vs. Arnold & Son HMS1

You can dig into the details of each if you need to. To make the battle as close as possible, I've chosen the gold version of each.

Arnold and Son

Parmigiani Tonda 1950

Parmigiani

Arnold & Son

See less See more
#4 ·
That's part of what the reviews are for. There are more pics in each of them.

I just don't have the time to dig through them and I certain don't own all (or even most) of the watches that will battle it out.

Sorry....

All the best.

#7 ·
There's a poll at the top of the page. You have to choose one. I can't tell you on what to base your vote. It's like any battle. Any number of factors will allow one to prevail.

I'd rather spend my money on nomos zurich. If i had to choose, i'd take arnold&son
Are you nominating the Nomos Zurich for a future round? Is it an uncomplicated watch? It certainly fits the "little guy" requirement for this category.

I'd be happy to include it in the next round if you'd like. If so, it'll face off against the winner in this round.

For now, these are the two you have to choose from.

All the best.

#10 ·
My personal take:
  • Art and visuals -- Parmigiani. Both are beautiful; both are entirely hand done in-house. Even so, it's not hard to see there's far more decoration going on in the cheese.
  • Mechanical superiority -- A&S. 90 hour power reserve produced by double barrel technique that improves accuracy as it extends time between winding.
  • Lume - Parmigiani, It has lume and A&S doesn't. For me it's a non-factor, but for some it matters.
  • Aesthetics -- Tie. One minute I like the modern appeal of the Parm. The next I like the traditional detail of the A&S.

My vote: A&S.
I had a hard time deciding between these two. I think they are well matched in many regards. Even as I chose one, I could have been just as comfortable choosing the other. In the end, I chose A&S because it costs a bit less and is no less a fantastic watch and I don't care about lume.

We'll see how others feel.

All the best.

Live not for Battles Won.
Live not for The-End-of-the-Song.
Live in the along.
- Gwendolyn Brooks, Report from Part One

#12 ·
The Parmigiani is my choice. I have the urge to add one of their watches to my collection this year...

#15 · (Edited)
One moves on to the next round whether you vote or not.

If you love the Parm Pt, you should probably vote for the Parm. It's the same watch.

I put them both up in gold with cream dials so that the looks were as similar as possible and folks could/would choose on the merit of the watch and if one likes the look of one's styling better, than so be it. I just didn't want to deal with "this one likes rose gold" and "that one likes white gold" and "the other likes stainless or PVD."

I get that when you are buying one, the case material matters. But for this game, the watch matters more than whether it's gold or steel. Perhaps in later rounds I'll have no option to closely match the general aesthetics. But for this round, I did, so I did.

All the best.

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
- Winston Churchill

#19 ·
You must have some mighty "mojo." "The Cheese" caught up after your post.

Actually the "big boys" battle is also quite close.

Reactions: cedargrove
#20 ·
So it looks like we have a tie going at the moment. (see last paragraph below) IMO they are similar looking and both are beautiful and superbly crafted. I can understand why the votes are close.

There's still a day left, but we'll see if much changes. It may be that I don't need to wait three days to allow folks time to discover the candidates and vote. If not, I'll shorten the review period to two days for the next round.

As for right now, I'm mulling over the watch that in Round 2 will take on the winner of Round 1 (assuming there is a winner). If folks have specific recommendations, I'll take them and I will sooner or later use them. I may or may not use them for the next round; that's my prerogative as the game creator. <winks>

If you folks think it better to do the whole thing the way the NCAA tournament works -- 8 pairs battle creating 8 winners; followed by 4 pairs battling, followed by two pairs and then the championship -- I'm willing to do it that way. I welcome your input on this point. If this round stays a tie, I'll split the two watches and stick them up against other watches in two separate bouts. That'll necessarily force round two to be 2A and 2B.

All the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.