WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

High-End conversation Piece for a Businessman

13K views 139 replies 66 participants last post by  GETS 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I have been a longtime reader but did not registered until recently.

I am thinking about buying a nice timepiece that will serve as a conversation piece for when I am discussing business (real estate,construction) as well as reflect my "success". My clientele are primarily the very wealthy. My first Love was IWC Portugese, but then GO won me over. Over the las month it's just been a royal rumble with no winner. That's why I turn to the extraordinary people at watchuseek. Almost Everything I have read here has greatly.

I have a limited budget of around $8,000 and I am looking at some gray market websites for my purchase. But I will give an AD to match the price and/or value before I make a final purchase.

I do not like Rolex as it's predictable of New Money or posing. Same with Tag (except the Monaco) and to an extent Breitling. I do not have the $$ for a Breguet or anything that level, but even if I did, I think I would wait until my lifestyle reflects those timepieces.

The timepieces that are in the running are:

Glashutte Original Senator Observer XL

IWC Portugese Yach Club

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 44mm

Zenith El Primero Striking 10th

Cartier Calibre de mens watch

If you have any suggestions that I have not considered, feel free to suggest. The qualifications are 42-44 mm diameter (I am 6'2" and athletic build) not too "artistic".

Looking forward to your feedback.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello Everyone,
I have been a longtime reader but did not registered until recently.

I am thinking about buying a nice timepiece that will serve as a conversation piece for when I am discussing business (real estate,construction) as well as reflect my "success". My clientele are primarily the very wealthy. My first Love was IWC Portugese, but then GO won me over. Over the las month it's just been a royal rumble with no winner. That's why I turn to the extraordinary people at watchuseek. Almost Everything I have read here has greatly.

I have a limited budget of around $8,000 and I am looking at some gray market websites for my purchase. But I will give an AD to match the price and/or value before I make a final purchase.

I do not like Rolex as it's predictable of New Money or posing. Same with Tag (except the Monaco) and to an extent Breitling. I do not have the $$ for a Breguet or anything that level, but even if I did, I think I would wait until my lifestyle reflects those timepieces.

The timepieces that are in the running are:

Glashutte Original Senator Observer XL

IWC Portugese Yach Club

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 44mm

Zenith El Primero Striking 10th

Cartier Calibre de mens watch

If you have any suggestions that I have not considered, feel free to suggest. The qualifications are 42-44 mm diameter (I am 6'2" and athletic build) not too "artistic".

Looking forward to your feedback.
you'll never go wrong with german visit www.watchbuys.com

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#8 ·
In my experience, very few people notice your watch. That said, there is always a better chance of having a watch noticed and it being a conversational piece if it stands out of the crowd.

Zenith Striking 10th is a great choice as tri-color dial is very unique and striking 10th complication is as well.
I also think GO Senator is a great choice. But I would go with GO Sixties Square Chrono - square shape and cushion case make it stand out. Alternatively, Painoinverse is a great looking watch that will certainly get noticed.

Other choices I'd look at:
JLC Grand Reverso duoface is another cool choice - 2 watches for the price of one. Reverse the face during a meeting and it's bout to be noticed.
RGM 800 series - definitely something that can start a conversation and can be customized as well

#9 ·
I also own a GO Senator Observer--great watch, very versatile in terms of wearing it with lots of different kinds of clothing. The Cartier is a nice watch but not as versatile IMO. The others, I don't think are in the same class as GO (and I say that as someone who owns and happily wears Zenith and Omega). Not a fan of modern IWC, too big and wear even bigger, and fit and finish while good, is not at GO levels. My .02.

#12 ·
Your interest in GO and willingness to be noticed gives you one choice: PanoMaticInverse. It'll definitely be a conversation starter. However, I see that even gray market prices it above $10K, it has a higher list price than most Pano models. Also, since it has a unique design, before paying that much for a watch, make sure you absolutely love it first.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Also in your size range, and this time fits your budget as well, is the Ulysse Nardin Marine Chronometer Manufacture models. There are many variants (blue/black/white dial on leather/steel/rubber strap), and I believe they have 43mm and 45mm versions. These are the new models, and have in house movement (earlier Marine series had ETA movements). UN makes really nice watches and they seem to be doing a good job of "being noticed". Below is the version I like the most:

#17 ·
Your interest in GO and willingness to be noticed gives you one choice: PanoMaticInverse. It'll definitely be a conversation starter. However, I see that even gray market prices it above $10K, it has a higher list price than most Pano models. Also, since it has a unique design, before paying that much for a watch, make sure you absolutely love it first.

[iurl="https://www.watchuseek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6607242&d=1452379052"]
[/iurl]

Also in your size range, and this time fits your budget as well, is the Ulysse Nardin Marine Chronometer Manufacture models. There are many variants (blue/black/white dial on leather/steel/rubber strap), and I believe they have 43mm and 45mm versions. These are the new models, and have in house movement (earlier Marine series had ETA movements). UN makes really nice watches and they seem to be doing a good job of "being noticed". Below is the version I like the most:

[iurl="https://www.watchuseek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6607234&d=1452379006"]
[/iurl]
Thank you so Much. Both your choices, especially UN really impressed me. Can't believe I haven't looked at that one.

Again, I appreciate you valuable feedback.

#13 ·
I work in a profession where we do loads of talking to and meeting with new people and I have to say in 15+ years, I've never had a client ask me about my watch and neither have I asked someone else about theirs. What has been noticed many times and has been a conversation ice-breaker? #1 Smartphone. #2 Tie. #3 Shoes.

Whatever the case, back to the OP: I'd vote the GO Senator Observer too.

#15 ·
I work in a profession where we do loads of talking to and meeting with new people and I have to say in 15+ years, I've never had a client ask me about my watch and neither have I asked someone else about theirs. What has been noticed many times and has been a conversation ice-breaker? #1 Smartphone. #2 Tie. #3 Shoes.

Whatever the case, back to the OP: I'd vote the GO Senator Observer too.
When signing deals worth upwards of $1 million, what you reflect does have an impact even if they don't say it. In the past, I have had bad experiences with wearing shirts and shoes that was not at the "level" of where I was playing. I invested heavily on clothes and shoes and it has made a huge difference. A nice watch is the only thing I have been missing, and yes I have been in conversations where a watch or a car was the topic. Never a smartphone. But I do get compliments on my shoes. And I sincerely appreciate your feedback.

#14 ·
When I worked in a lab in college, there was a woman who kept a live mouse in her pocket.

You could try this. Think of the conversations it would spark! The hyper-rich love mice, that's just science. I just ate a mouse yesterday, but that's neither here nor there, I suppose.

Rolex is actually the correct choice as well as being the only brand any of your clients would actually notice. A DateJust or Oyster Perpetual is simply a fantastic watch that you can wear with literally anything (or nothing! How's that for a conversation starter: "Smedley! Where are your clothes! Oh, but you have a watch on for some reason, hmm, it's very nice."). They are well made and supremely versatile. In addition, there are many dial options and you have the ability to go more understated or with more presence.

Seriously, no one is going to care about your GO, you might as well buy a Seiko, at least people will recognize that name, although not with the connotation you wish for. A Rolex, however, is a Rolex and it does not say new money. A Rolex says, well, exactly what you are hoping for. You are practically born full-blown from the head of Hans Wilsdorf during a memorable marketing meeting. Athena herself wears a Milgauss, just ask her.

A possible alternative, would be an entry level Panerai. Among my high-end business clients (and yes, they do come aboard!), panerai is, and I quote here, "for big swinging dicks". You seem to wish to swing, so maybe let your reach extend your...hmm, not quite sure if that's the right turn of phrase, but anyway, there you have it.

#16 ·
When I worked in a lab in college, there was a woman who kept a live mouse in her pocket.

You could try this. Think of the conversations it would spark! The hyper-rich love mice, that's just science. I just ate a mouse yesterday, but that's neither here nor there, I suppose.

Rolex is actually the correct choice as well as being the only brand any of your clients would actually notice. A DateJust or Oyster Perpetual is simply a fantastic watch that you can wear with literally anything (or nothing! How's that for a conversation starter: "Smedley! Where are your clothes! Oh, but you have a watch on for some reason, hmm, it's very nice."). They are well made and supremely versatile. In addition, there are many dial options and you have the ability to go more understated or with more presence.

Seriously, no one is going to care about your GO, you might as well buy a Seiko, at least people will recognize that name, although not with the connotation you wish for. A Rolex, however, is a Rolex and it does not say new money. A Rolex says, well, exactly what you are hoping for. You are practically born full-blown from the head of Hans Wilsdorf during a memorable marketing meeting. Athena herself wears a Milgauss, just ask her.

A possible alternative, would be an entry level Panerai. Among my high-end business clients (and yes, they do come aboard!), panerai is, and I quote here, "for big swinging dicks". You seem to wish to swing, so maybe let your reach extend your...hmm, not quite sure if that's the right turn of phrase, but anyway, there you have it.
Mice? No thanks. People make fun of Rolex wearers all the time. New money? Buy a Rolex. Deal drugs? Buy a Rolex. Rolex is the predictable choice, it does not reflect any depth of appreciating the finer things, just a brand. Sorry for the Rolex owners, this is my opinion based on my experience.

#19 ·
to me, IWC is uninteresting, and while i wanted to love the Omega Aqua terra so badly, after trying it on I actually found the watch incredibly boring and ordinary looking, something I dont want when approaching a 10k watch. Real estate (or whatever you do) is such an exciting atmosphere to meet diverse and interesting people so rightfully you need a watch that follows suit. Are you set on steel bracelet over leather? If you're prepared to spend 8k its feasible to spend 10, and with 10 you can get a Vacheron Overseas in steel which is an infinitely interesting and beautiful watch. I agree with your views on Rolex, but a steel daytona is a classic and any watch-lover will recognize its place in history. Quite an exciting dilemma you find yourself in; whatever the choice, I'm sure it'll be an excellent one.

#22 ·
I agree with you on the Rolex Steel Daytona.. It's place in history sets it apart. Even from more expensive Rolex. I started with 6, went up to 8 now considering 10 but need to fall in complete love for that amount. I'm expecting a great year so I will be starting a collection. I am making a list of watches that I will try on at an AD. Then go through the process of elimination.

Thank you for your feedback.

#25 ·
Conversation piece you say? Someone mentioned the Reverso already and that's what I'd do/did. I like the simple ultra thins like these but there are many other models new/used that could fit the bill . . .

Attachments

#28 ·
Blancpain Bathyscaphe? 43mm and can be found GM just below the $8K budget.

View attachment 6609234
I own this watch - in steel, which at the price you quoted is I think the one you meant.

I love us but my experience is that it's very, very, below the radar. I don't think it would start any conversations anywhere unless OP himself does the starting.

#48 ·
You could almost get in the door for a RGM 801... .
Yes. This. For those who are going to ask you about your watch (read: in the know), RGM is the real conversation piece out of those mentioned so far. THE premier American watch manufacture. Go custom and your conversation gets better. Go to RGM HQ to purchase and your watch conversation is better than 99% of the watch enthusiasts out there. Check out the 801S or 801A. If I were going new and AD, it would be RGM hands down IMO...which brings me to my last point...if this is going to be the top dog in your collection, I'd go AD and not GM and just negotiate an appropriate purchase price.

Good Luck!

Reactions: mpalmer
#32 · (Edited)
Avoid IWC + Omega - way too common (esp in NYC). They are, in a sense, like Rolex + Breitling + Tag: very clichéd brands (unless you pick a model w/ a VERY unique design).

You may want to look at these
Jaeger LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin Automatic Stainless Steel Men's Watch Q1338421 - Master Ultra Thin - Master - Jaeger LeCoultre - Shop Watches by Brand - Jomashop (should wear bigger due to small bezel)
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-zenith-elite-6150
http://www.watchesbysjx.com/2016/01/introducing-lv-fifty-five-new-entry.html (probably will invite a lot of comments as its design is catchy. Do not know if it is too artsy for your purpose - or too much of a fashion brand...) (may wear smaller due to big bezel)
http://wornandwound.com/2014/09/03/longines-heritage-1973-review/

-- h

PS If you really believe - against all evidence - that anybody will be impressed by your watch, then (s)he will be even more impressed if (s)he sees you have more than one => buy two cheaper ones + make sure next time you meet, you wear something different :) (avoid - at all costs - to alternate between two Rolexes or a Rolex and a TAG :) )

#35 · (Edited)
Most people know very little about watches and a beautiful but discrete piece like the senator is unlikely to stir any comments unless the client is a WIS. I have a number of nice watches, Breguet, Zenith, Rolex, omega, none of which have ever received much comment. If you want a watch that will start a conversation you need one with a beautiful and unusual dial. The PanoMaticInverse fits the bill in my opinion as does the Mont Blanc Orbis Terrarum world timer. I have one and in the few short weeks of ownership it has already elicited quite a few comments. Good luck with your search, it's part of the fun :grinning:

#39 ·
I think you may be overthinking this choice. An expensive but less known brand in the $8000 and under range is not going to blow away a watch guy and will not be recognized any more than a $100 mall kiosk watch by non-watch people. And buying something to get noticed is futile and an expensive, never ending, no win game.

Just buy an Omega Planet Ocean, Speedmaster Pro or better (much better in my opinion) yet an Aqua Terra. Watch guys will recognize and respect it and it looks high quality to non-watch people. If you love watches passionately then by all means drop 8 grand but if you just want to look successful put half that back in your pocket and get a pre-owned Omega.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.