WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

A High-end watches forum. Why?

91K views 135 replies 76 participants last post by  dbostedo 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently one of our members contacted Hartmut Richter, moderator of our Zenith forum and asked him if a Ulysse Nardin forum would be possible here on watchuseek.com.

While this could have been a good idea we at Watchuseek believe it would be rather better to create a "high end watches" forum than a UN forum.

Potential brands to be discussed here are:
Patek Philippe
Audemars Piguet
Vacheron Constantin
A. Lange & Söhne
Breguet

... plus a whole load of brands like Harry Winston, F.P. Journe, Christiaan van der Klaauw, etc.

#14 ·
You can post/see Lange & Söhne here, but to a certain extent, these would not be out of place in the German Watches forum.

Although very few brands have been quoted by WatchUSeek admin, the list could easily be extended enormously. Certainly, Chopard & Cartier would feature, also Blancpain, JLC, Girard Perregaux, Glashütte Original, plus, plus, plus..... The idea is to let the forum regulars decide what is high end and what isn't. Someone posting an ordinary Type X brand watch with little finissage on a standard ETA or other generic movement may not find their post "moved to a more suitable forum" but can probably expect some slightly more than sarcastic comments from the general community.

Potential users should also be aware that some high end watches already have their own forum (e.g. Zenith, Omega, Rolex). If you have specific questions on your watches that cannot be answered here, it might be worth posting there also since the people with the greatest know-how will tend to congregate there. This is not intended to scare you away from here - please by all means, keep the posts coming!

Hartmut Richter

#15 ·
Very cool, almost missed the new forum. Looking forward to some great discussions.

#16 ·
I have also missed this new Forum since it started. Would be better if the place was moved, maybe above the "Affordables" Forum?? :-d

I understand that this Forum should cater for both New and Vintage High End watches?
IMO, a High End watch is not only guided by $$, but also by craftmanship, excellence in design etc.
IMO2: Even some base-ETA powered watches should have a space here, if they show some nice modifications.

Just my 2 coconuts.

#20 ·
Recently one of our members contacted Hartmut Richter, moderator of our Zenith forum and asked him if a Ulysse Nardin forum would be possible here on watchuseek.com.

While this could have been a good idea we at Watchuseek believe it would be rather better to create a "high end watches" forum than a UN forum.

Potential brands to be discussed here are:
Patek Philippe
Audemars Piguet
Vacheron Constantin
A. Lange & Söhne
Breguet

... plus a whole load of brands like Harry Winston, F.P. Journe, Christiaan van der Klaauw, etc.
Sir,
Love your web site :-! :-!

Love the idea of a high end watches forum :-! :-!

Don't get why your home page link to Forums haven't been updated to include all your themes--- <| ---making it hard for the new user to actually find this theme as well as the Clock World theme, Fashion theme etc...

On your home page if you click on the Forums link [between Shop and News] you miss many of the new Theme Forums. If instead you click the upper right larger font Forums then you go straight to the Forums main page which includes sub fora. Only then can you find the newer themes.

Recommend you update the Themes that can be found under Forum and leave all the sub fora under the Forums Main Page....my guess is that you will see an increase in traffic by doing so. KX

#31 ·
There is no general consensus of what high-end means (is perception) So people that should be posting here don't post here and the opposite happens too when people post topics that don't apply. It would be easier to name the brands that are applicable, it would be less confusing. The problem is that there are so many brands, so maybe break in two, the A forum for the main brands and B for the less known. Just thinking out loud.....

#36 ·
Yes I agree with this. We definitely need some sort of criteria, no matter how arbitrary. The mods and admins own the rights to make rules on the forum, so I believe whatever decision they make people will just follow.

Perhaps other than classifying the brands, just make a cut off price, say above $10k or something. How can watches above $10k not be considered high end? A cut off price point will also help brands like IWC, because some houses make entry level to very high end pieces. IWC makes some perpetual calendars, minute repeaters and tourbillons at very high end levels and prices, I don't see why those watches can't be discussed here.

#32 ·
To be honest it is very rare that a post is "out of place" in here. Most members seem to have a good idea of what "High End" is and post topics and watches appropriately.

I do agree it is quiet in here though. But then again if it was super busy then it would indicate everyone had - or intended to have - high end watches. And then by default they couldn't really be high end anymore. No?

#39 · (Edited)
I think IWC is like the seiko of the middle range brands...i.e. it offers everything from the portofino line which I would deem at least a couple of notches below Rolex to the very palatable Portuguese line all the way up to minute repeaters and Perpetual calenders...so I guess it depends on which IWC...does Rolex have a place here...I can't say for sure but I wouldn't consider it with the Likes of PP, VC, ALS, GO, JLC et al...

But who am I to say...I normally hang out in the affordable section and just come here to increase my knowledge as well as hoping for some watch p-rn :p

haha can't believe that word is filtered lol